The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 145 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132210 - 11/18/07 07:47 PM Which is more important?
Countrygirl Offline

Loc: The wilds of Scotland, UK
Ok, here I go again with more questions regarding church...

Basically we have three choices due to the absolute lack of churches within a 35 mile radius of our remote home. So...which is more important?

1. To attend a church where the people are great but you don't agree with everything the Pastor preaches.

2. To attend a church which is 'feel good' but not very solid.

3. To attend an old traditional church which is solid but solemn and not so friendly.

I think we're more in favour of option number 1, but I don't know if it's possible to attend a church and not agree fully with the teaching. Is it possible? Is it right? Anyone had any experience of this?

#132211 - 11/18/07 08:07 PM Re: Which is more important? [Re: Countrygirl]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Countrygirl, I would only attend a church which supports my own beliefs. To meet nice people I would join a sports, art, or whatever club. And then I would visit one of those cozy English pubs. People always meet people there, don't they?

#132212 - 11/18/07 08:14 PM Re: Which is more important? [Re: Edelweiss]
Countrygirl Offline

I know what you mean about not just attending a church to meet nice people, but the church IS the people, not the building, so to speak, so is our fellowship with other believers more important than doctrinal differences?

#132213 - 11/18/07 09:00 PM Re: Which is more important? [Re: Countrygirl]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I'd be most apt to choose number 3.
Biblical truth being taught is the most important criteria. People, as yourself, can bring the love and sociabilities to the congregates.

I, personally, don't like the concept of man's "church," and it is man made. Jesus didn't go to church, as we practice it. The earliest Christians didn't have church, as we know it. I look on "Church" as meaning the whole of the Christian body, not any one congregation... Church is made up of God's people and should be in your heart, regardless of its definition.

#132214 - 11/18/07 09:07 PM Re: Which is more important? [Re: Countrygirl]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I would never attend a church who's beliefs and teachings were different from my own. I go to church to be nearer to God, so to speak, and learn and be immersed in the teachings of the bible. Thats like going to a restaurant that serves up tastless food but everyone else goes there soooo???? I could care less if the people there are friendly or not. You can worry about that at the church's social functions. Or start a bible study group and make friends that way. Bottom line, what is your reason for attending church? For truth, or consequences? I don't believe the church is the people, its a building, but unless one attends church (of their choice) for the "docterines taught" they are there for the wrong reason.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#132216 - 11/18/07 09:31 PM Re: Which is more important? [Re: ]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
"you said don't agree with everything the paster says". I could live with that providing he wasen't agenst my more basic principles. i couldn't imagine beiing anyweer weer i agreed with everiething a "minister" said so i have to comprimise anyway. i be happie as long as they were not promoting something way way far from what i belived or my basic spiritual values wern't being rubbished. . I can find a bit of groweth with the challenge of not agreeing with all that is said. make any sencces?

#132217 - 11/18/07 09:45 PM Re: Which is more important? [Re: celtic_flame]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I visited 23, count 'em..23 churches before I found the right one!

It's like dating...don't settle, choose! And if it takes a few years, then so be it.

Look for the right fit on ALL angles.

#132218 - 11/18/07 09:57 PM Re: Which is more important? [Re: Di]
Countrygirl Offline

thanks for the input girls,

celtic flame, yes I know exactly what you mean. I feel like that too, I just question if it is 'ok' to not agree with everthing a Pastor teaches.

Di, you had plenty choice! I wish we did!

#132219 - 11/18/07 11:28 PM Re: Which is more important? [Re: Countrygirl]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I don't believe there is a "one-size-fits-all" church...I think that there's no right-or-wrong church...I believe that it's no accident that God made us each unique with our own unique set of insights, needs, histories and personalities - we're all essential pieces of His divine plan, and He gave each one of us our own unique set of gifts in order to be able do our part of His purpose.

So why should it surprise us that He would allow for "unity in diversity" in how we choose to worship? No one way can possibly work for every single person - and not only that, but I know from personal experience that my needs for worship expression and spiritual nutrition have changed and evolved as my spirituality has evolved. So that what fed me and called forth the most meaningful worship from me when I was 20 no longer does so now. That doesn't mean that the church (not a building, but the way a community expresses its worship) of my 20's isn't good, it's just that it doesn't fit who I am spiritually anymore. And so, I too had to shop around - not for a church that told me what I wanted to hear - the essential message never changes, but the way we live out that call and that message DOES change as we change. I need a church that welcomes me in as the spiritual pilgrim that I am, celebrates life in all its wondrous diversity and offers adequate spiritual nutrition and enough challenge to keep me evolving closer to God's will for me as a person and us as a Christian community.

I believe that if the church you attend now doesn't feed your soul, then it could be time to find another church (although I would pray for discernment because maybe God has planted you there to feed others and help that community to be more than it is now.) And I absolutely believe that the church that will most feed your soul will also provide you with a community you enjoy worshipping with. The word "church" means public worship - anyone can worship privately anywhere and anytime they choose - but public worship is a special time/place set aside for all of God's people to come together and praise together for all of God's blessings of the past week and find enough sustenance and courage to begin the journey into a new week.

We are not meant to worship or journey alone - though that doesn't mean we will always find what we need in an institutionalized church. God gives us each other to lean on, learn from and travel with. (Didn't He tell us that where two or more of us are gathered, there He is too - that's Church!!! And by that definition, there are times when we are "church" right here at BWS)

Edited by Eagle Heart (11/18/07 11:42 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#132220 - 11/19/07 12:37 AM Re: Which is more important? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I just want to add here, because I'm always uncomfortable placing my spiritual perspectives out there as if I know anymore than anyone else - like most people, I struggle and fumble as much as anyone, and my spiritual journey has been as much about drifting and doubting as nestling and believing. I have great admiration for people who are able to "stick it out" in the same church for their entire lives, because I look at those people as the pillars and foundation of those communitites; I've known many such people, especially women, who showed more courage by staying and trying to change and grow from within than I did by leaving and forever searching for a "home church" that probably exists within me and not in any building or one community.

The one thing that I believe in is Mercy - and it's that Mercy that whispers to me that it's okay to search...wherever the search takes me, He'll still be there waiting for me with open arms. And He's never yet left me totally alone in that search - it seems that the right person with the next clue is always right there exactly when I need to hear it. I think He has room and love in His heart for both the searchers and the nestlers.

(Maya Angelou)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved