The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 97 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#131074 - 11/09/07 02:18 PM Re: What online business groups do you belong to? [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Dancer! Cool! You're a member of the NABBW? I didn't realize that. I hope you're taking advantage of all that the membership offers.

#131075 - 11/09/07 03:18 PM Re: What online business groups do you belong to? [Re: jawjaw]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Thanks, J.J. I've been to both of the sites you suggested earlier and love them! Lots of knowledge there....God knows I need it.

#131076 - 11/09/07 11:48 PM Re: What online business groups do you belong to? [Re: dancer9]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Dancer, I have a master's in theater and worked in professional theater a bit, so I know what you are talking about. It's always amazing to me how much people think they "own" people who happen to be in the public forum.

To get back to the topic at hand...I just found www.sbtv.com which has a forum list. I haven't joined yet...I substitute taught for a kindergarden class today that wiped me out!!

#131077 - 11/10/07 12:44 AM Re: What online business groups do you belong to? [Re: Casey]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Casey, I just wanted to say,I LOVE theater people like you! If you looked at my resume' so to speak, you would see some dance theater and some plays I have choreographed and I'll tell you, those theater types are outstanding people! I love them! Those like you who take the time to study, love the theater and are so talented! I just love the experience of working on a play as a choreographer, or producing and choreographing a dance theater piece. I majored in Character Dance because I love it so much.

I'm pleased to be on a forum with at theater person such as yourself!

Merry, Merry!
dancer, your theater family

"Question your privilege"

#131078 - 11/10/07 01:20 AM Re: What online business groups do you belong to? [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

Jaw Jaw,
Actually, I'm not really big-time ambitious! I have had a big career by following public demand. I started so young that I knew nothing else. For example, MGM called me, I did not audition and never have auditioned for anything! I have three calls right now that are public performances but I will only take the ones that I can do in my present condition. I have been where I have been soley on being there and doing my job. I do not network, I do not name drop, I don't even push myself in the press because I want a personal life.
An example would be when I ended up on the front of a Sunday business section in a large newspaper and it was a big photo! I did not ask or even think they would use a photo of me but they asked for a release after taking a photo so I signed because, "why not?"

I am in the right place at the right time because if I push it, I find I am not at my best and I don't like appearing "hungry," if you can understand.

I don't play the game at all. The funny thing is that when people ask me how to "make it," I tell them to be good at what they do! That's all I concentrated on, my lessons! I studied dance and voice and ended up where I did and never had any lean days! I never toured the country playing little gigs and I never performed with any band that was unknown. I've had a life so far that seems to be there for me and I don't question it. I have never had ANY time off until I became as sick as I did and it was forced time off.

Now that I am getting stronger and talking to people more, I find the offers come in again.

I ended up judging the first leg of the "Miss New Mexico," pageant and I don't like pageants! My friend asked me to and I owed her one, so I did it!

Things walk up on me, I just go along with what works for me and concentrate on being the best person and artist that I can be.

I like a layed back approach to work. Funny thing is, when I work I seem to have too much work to get done!I still have offers sitting there! One is a television show they want me to choreograph, for example. I just let it happen to me...

If I had to scratch and crawl, I'd be a dishwasher first! Not a problem for me, I'm not the type to toot my horn. I'v actually done WAY more than I admit!

I had a girl where I get coffee bring in a magazine once and shove it at me and say," That's you, isn't it?"

dancer in repose.

#131079 - 11/10/07 01:37 AM Re: What online business groups do you belong to? [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I'm trying to understand the point here? If you are saying that ALL has come to you with little or no effort on your part, that's just fantastic! We should all be as fortunate as you have been. Kudos!

But I have to say that I love what I do and I'm very passionate about it, just as I'm sure LadyJane and others are. I have never thought of my marketing efforts as "playing a game" and certainly not scratching and crawling. It is all a labor of love.

Edited by jawjaw (11/10/07 01:38 AM)

#131080 - 11/10/07 02:17 AM Re: What online business groups do you belong to? [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

Jaw Jaw,
I certainly was not implying anything!
What I was trying to do is explain MYSELF, since everyone knows everyone else here. I was making comments on who I am and hoping it would help others know me.

I was not implying anything, again. I had no hidden meaning and I apologize if it sounded like I do. I was just telling you or anyone how I approach my life. I didn't think anyone would compare themselves to me, and I don't compare myself to anyone else!
All of the women here have been generous, kind and helpful as they could be. I could not have been happier on any site! I was and am so impressed with how open everyone is.

Yes, there are those in my business who would sell their first born for a slot on a reality show, but I was saying that was not me. It was only about me.

I am a bit hurt here that you might take that post as implying that anyone here is anything but kind and caring!
If I speak in general about my line of work, it is about my experience.

I do have my own approach, personality and beleif system and I merely tried to put that in a post when I had the chance.

I will also say that YOU, Jaw Jaw, have been very kind to me and have given me a laugh or two as well. It hurts me to tthink that you think ill of me.

It scares me to think I would be taken as anything but a woman who enjoys, enjoyed, this site and all the women here.

dancer9

Edited by dancer9 (11/10/07 02:24 AM)

#131081 - 11/10/07 02:28 AM Re: What online business groups do you belong to? [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Again, I'm confused. Why would you think I think ill of you? I was commenting on how wonderful it is that you have not had to promote or do the marketing.

Then I simply stated that I think of MY promotions as a labor of love.

I think you are reading wayyyyy more into my response than is there. Wayyyy more. Lighten up hon, you CAN and SHOULD be yourself in this forum. Of that I can guarantee you.

#131082 - 11/10/07 02:30 AM Re: What online business groups do you belong to? [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

understood, Jaw Jaw, and I would like to say that I admire your site very much which I saw today, for a couple reasons. It impressed me for a few qualities that are unique to it.

Just wanted to say that and I will tell you why in a PM.

dancer9

#131083 - 06/17/08 05:52 AM Re: What online business groups do you belong to? [Re: dancer9]
bluebonbonbonnie Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Startup Nation, a couple of pet groomer sites, and several poety forums. And here, of course.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved