The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#128571 - 10/01/07 05:51 PM Walking and weight?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
It's October first and the weather's changing here in Baltimore. It's perfect for brisk walks, but here's my problem:

I walk for an hour at least 4-5 times a week. I am walking at a quick rate. I'd love to lose a few pounds, well more than a few, but not a dang pound has come off this summer. In fact, I gained weight. Now I know I wasn't really watching what I was eating, but I don't think I should have gained. The past two weeks I've watched what I've eaten and still haven't lost a pound. Help! Suggestions.

Oh, and I don't think it's fair that I walk about 20 miles a week and lose nothing!

#128572 - 10/01/07 05:52 PM Re: Walking and weight?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I should have put this in the Fine Whine forum. Sorry.

#128573 - 10/01/07 06:21 PM Re: Walking and weight?
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I'm the same way Dotsie. It has become VERY frustrating for me too. I walk every single day, 7 days a week and I still don't loose....I GAIN! Plus, I do other forms of exercising too. I've been to the doctors to have my thyroid tested a couple of different times because I can't imagine why I can't drop a few pounds. My tests come back fine. It has to be menopause.

#128574 - 10/01/07 08:51 PM Re: Walking and weight? [Re: Cookie]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I'm with you. I started walking to work with my dog September 4th. It takes about 45 minutes each way and we walk fast. I also work out and have not dropped a pound. I do feel better though and my upper body seems to be changing, less bulges than before.

I've heard you should watch the scale, and others say don't watch it just measure the inches. I've heard you gain muscle when you exercise so it takes a while for the scale to notice.
It has to be menopause, I agree. The weight is holding on for dear life to me and I keep trying to get rid of it but it continues to hold on. I had my thyroid checked too and it came back normal.

I'm going to keep on walking but have noticed that my heels really hurt at night and I get sharp shooting pains. I'm wondering if this is because I'm overweight and the feet are paying the price of my pounding on them everyday during my walks.
Kate

#128575 - 10/02/07 11:20 AM Re: Walking and weight? [Re: katebcca]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Dotsie, I have had the same problem with those cemented pounds as well. I think I usually drink back what I sweat out. Great...I'm just exchanging the old pounds with new pounds. What fun.

The only thing that works for me is eating really light after 5:00 PM. When I do that I lose weight and it stays off for a while. Have you tried that?

Kate I had that with my heels too. It’s terrible. It took a long treatment to get rid of it, but it’s gone now. I don’t think it has anything to do with weight. I know several slender people who have had it…it has something to do with age. Yuck. Hope you can get medical help, because it doesn’t go away by itself.

#128576 - 10/02/07 02:13 PM Re: Walking and weight? [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I've always heard that muscles that are toned up after walking/exercising cause a slight weight gain. Could it be that you are toning up your muscles and they are expanding causing the seemingly weight increase?

Are you clothes fitting the same? Or are they not quite as tight? I would be interested in knowing. I read somewhere, and don't remember where, that people OUR AGE that exercise and watch what they eat, BUT THAT DON'T EAT HEALTHY, will not lose because of WHAT they are putting in their mouths. Things like frozen dinners, items with that sugar stuff in it, fructose corn syrup and anything hydrogenated...also, enriched flour.

I remember where I read SOME of this...it was at a site of Joe Dillon's.... http://www.thejoedillondifference.com/index.php

Anyway, I walked last Fall for over a month, never missing...and watched what I ate, and was very careful about what "went in" and lost some weight, but not much. It was VERY frustrating!

I'm beginning to think one must have to workout with weights or something...become a body builder....go on TV and do those poses and wear bikini's...Ewww.

#128577 - 10/03/07 03:40 AM Re: Walking and weight? [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
If you enjoy walking and already have it integrated in your lifestyle for past few months/years, keep at it. Do more of it/more intensively or add on another type of exercise that you might not do daily, but several times per week.

Walking is not exactly exercise for me. It's a necessity, a habit, part of daily transportation for work in addition to public transit and on good days, some cycling embedded in trip.

Otherwise I can't get to work..to earn money.

But consider changing something that you eat forever. Either just eat less of it or substitute with something healthier.

By the way, do you cook with your hubby/partner regularily? Would he appreciate a change at times.

Time to use th BWS food subforum diary here. Vicki and I are abit lonely. As you can tell neither she nor I are religious about posting...

Just a thought.

Yes, I do gain weight nearly every fall/winter. Yes, it requires some regular, but fun intensive cycling for me. My partner and I have slipped into the habit for nearly every vacation, short or long, we do integrate it with cycling, walking/hiking (alot) or snowshoeing in the mountains. Our vacations are not full of driving at all. He hates driving. He falls asleep at steering wheel because of his sleep disorder.

Be always open to add on something new to exercise or different healthy food...make it creep into daily life or near daily life.

#128578 - 10/03/07 12:15 PM Re: Walking and weight? [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

It seems like the more you exercise, the more you have to exercise. Does that make sense?

Kate, as far as the heels are concerned, you may have planter faciitis. Google it. My sister had it and it took forever to go away. Try to nip it when it begins. There are different stretches you can do, and there are braces you can sleep in to keep your heel stretched at night.

Hannelore, I am trying not to a anything after dinner during the week. NOTHING, and I've been doing it.

Georgia, I am cutting out the bad foods, trying. Instead of eating crackers or Tostitos, I am eating a clementine or an apple.

Cookie, I also think it's menopause. Actually, I think it's because I'm on the pill. I've never been on it in my life, except for a couple months when I had a cyst on my ovary. I am going to talk to my gyn about it. I know that's when I started gaining.

orchid, you are right about adding something different. I wish I like to run, but I can't stand it. Plus my knees are too bad to run. We are talking about getting an elyptical trainer for the basement, but they are 2-3 thousand dollars. Since we belong to the Y where there are many elypticals, I don't think we'll so it. I need to get my butt to the Y is what I need to do.

#128579 - 10/04/07 03:36 AM Re: Walking and weight?
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

It seems like the more you exercise, the more you have to exercise. Does that make sense?

Kate, as far as the heels are concerned, you may have planter faciitis. Google it. My sister had it and it took forever to go away. Try to nip it when it begins. There are different stretches you can do, and there are braces you can sleep in to keep your heel stretched at night.

Hannelore, I am trying not to a anything after dinner during the week. NOTHING, and I've been doing it.

Georgia, I am cutting out the bad foods, trying. Instead of eating crackers or Tostitos, I am eating a clementine or an apple.

Cookie, I also think it's menopause. Actually, I think it's because I'm on the pill. I've never been on it in my life, except for a couple months when I had a cyst on my ovary. I am going to talk to my gyn about it. I know that's when I started gaining.

orchid, you are right about adding something different. I wish I like to run, but I can't stand it. Plus my knees are too bad to run. We are talking about getting an elyptical trainer for the basement, but they are 2-3 thousand dollars. Since we belong to the Y where there are many elypticals, I don't think we'll so it. I need to get my butt to the Y is what I need to do.

Hey I hate running.But true some jogging, would probably drastically help a person lose weight/become more fit. I only tried for 1 summer...when I was 17 yrs. old ! Cycling is far more enjoyable, even if it may feel like a serious workout at times. Even going slowly, you're going faster than the jogger.

I also feel alot safer cycling on a bike in isolated areas and parks because I am going at an appreciable speed. THis is for enjoyable fitness, not dilly-dallying. It blows my mind to see a solo woman jogging in isolated parks at 6:00 am. when I breeze by on my bike.

And to me, cycling for long distances in quieter areas by myself, is ALOT safer than walking/jogging. And also at night in areas that I'm not familiar with. As long as I have my neon cycling jacket, lights, and choose route wisely.

I really mean this, any regular boomer women who visits me, can cycle with me ..there are some great safe routes where I live...I have 3 bikes in total.

However if you love walking, keep at it.

As for "the more exercise you do, the more it seems like exercise"... it depends what it is. But if you know already you get a natural "high" after getting those endorpins pumped after any form of exercise, it's a great sign..to keep on going either longer or at least nearly daily.

I'm embarrassed to say that our condo building has a pool (I can't swim) and fitness room with some weight machines, treadmill, stationary bike and elliptal machine. I have never used the fitness rm. equipment yet. After 1 experience with stationary bike, forget it. It did not fit me. For experienced cyclists, they actually cleanup & bring their bikes indoors and put it on fixed rollers. This way, the bike fits you and you won't get pain.

'course lazy me doesn't do that and we don't have rm. at home.

So stretching exercise routine.
I'm in perimenopause. Yes 20 years ago, I burned off way more calories...and I didn't bike at that time or do much except walk everywhere..because I had to...because I still do.

As a rule of thumb, 1 of your exercise/sport should actually get you sweating abit or your heartrate at an accelerated rate for short periods.

PLEASE join us in the daily posting on your meals.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved