The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#117241 - 05/03/07 04:05 PM Need Advice
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Have any of you ever painted or refinished kitchen cabinets? If you painted them, how did they turn out and how expensive was it?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#117242 - 05/04/07 09:41 AM Re: Need Advice [Re: Dianne]
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
I have. I'm not sure if this is going to help though because it would depend on the surface material that you want to paint.

The one I worked on was an old kitchen but was still in reasonably good condition. The doors were made of what they call 'masonite' which is like a heavily compressed and very dense thick cardboard. It has already been sealed and painted at some time in the distant past.

Firstly, I washed down all surfaces with liquid sugar-soap to remove all dirt and grease. Then let it dry thoroughly before sanding it all with a fine grade sandpaper. This gives the new paint a slighly rough surface to grip on to. (Don't use a coarse grade sandpaper because it will leave 'cut' marks which will be hard to cover with the new paint).

I used an enamel paint, rather than a water based paint, because although it takes longer to dry it will provide a much harder and durable surface.

To apply the enamel paint, I used a small foam roller which gave a really smooth and even finish. And from memory (which isn't that great these days) I think I gave it 2 coats (maybe 3) with 2 days in between each coat. You will also need to give it a light rub with the fine grade sandpaper when the first coat has dried, to give the second coat something to grip...otherwise it will peel off.
Hope that helps. Happy renovating!
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#117243 - 05/04/07 09:43 AM Re: Need Advice [Re: SharonE]
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
Oh, and it turned out quite good... nice and fresh. And cost about $50
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#117244 - 05/04/07 12:37 PM Re: Need Advice [Re: SharonE]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Thank you!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved