The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 201 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#115793 - 04/26/07 03:36 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: TVC15]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Hey My Boomer Sisters.....wow, wow, wow...I am still ten ft off the ground with this turn of events. My interveiw lasted 12 mins to be exact...whilst the other two candidates who were there with me and up before me took 25-35 mins each!!! I was in such a state...but spent my time reassuring the other two wee lasses who were just over twenty years old! Then I was all alone and waiting !!! When I was called, something amazing happened....I went into a completely calm place of self-assured direction...it wasn't haughty, but more about how I was deserving of a place as the next and I was gonna impart this wisdom for sure!!
They asked me about my history, training and previous experience...why that particular course and University amd what I could bring as well as gain from if I was offered one of 46 places( nearly three hundred applicants this year!!!throuought Europe!!) .

I set about the task of explaining what the wanted to know and was open and honest about my expertice and lack of it in other areas, ie art and scketching tecniques. I layed my ideas on the table...with the cultural change and history in Ireland being of great interest to them.
They then asked me if I wanted to ask any questions...and only one came to mind and tumbled out of my gob!!!!

'Am I in over my head here? Did I bite off more tha....etc'
they both answered 'No'...then sent me outside to wait for a further 'lifetime'!!
When they brought me back in...I was sure I was gonna be declined. Ruth, the course Head of Dep started to say stuffed based on my scanty design portfilio(my words)...the other guy interupted and said that what drew him in was my prescence and passion...how I presented myself and my ideas..and how I craved the 'pulling assunder' of my boundaries concerning my already existing skills and ideas. Ruth interjected then and told me that the course was perfect for someone like me and that she was looking forward to watching me grow, explore and expand my world in accordance with what I already know and what I will be learning.

I jumped up and punched the air...even did a wee victory dance too!!!

I have not come down yet!

Meeting Lola was like the icing on the cake for sure! We went for something to eat(Lola insisted that I must be fed before my long journey home!!)...we chatted about so much..all crammed into three hours. It was just like catching up with a beloved freind who you had not seen in a while, she was a wee jem and made me feel at my ease straight away( sorta mommying me too!!which I indulged in! !).
We chatted so much that I nearly missed my link train for the airport!!! I love her to bits though....our wee Celtic is miffed that she didn't get to meet her too...but we did the phone thing!!

So, I am home now..and My Celtic is being a sweet one indeed...I can see her pride written all over her and it fills me with soft tears(oh here I go welling up again!) .

Again....thanks everyone for the concern, support and beleiving in me(and for those that did not na, na nan naaa na! I jest )

Love you all

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#115794 - 04/26/07 06:04 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Poppie]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
"Jumped up and punched the air!"
Woooeee!
So what's next on the itinerary?

#115795 - 04/26/07 08:13 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Edelweiss]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm so proud of you Po!

#115796 - 04/27/07 02:27 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: TVC15]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Po, congratulations to you - but we all knew you would get in! So when do you start? What's next?
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#115797 - 04/27/07 03:44 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: yonuh]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Po, I knew you'd get it! Congratulations to a fantastically talented artist!

Poet and essayist

#115798 - 04/27/07 08:19 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: meredithbead]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama

#115799 - 05/31/07 08:45 PM Re: update on University [Re: chickadee]
Poppie Offline

Hi Ladies....just now when I have a wee moment..I thought I would take Dotsies advice and update on all the goings on here in Belfast...pre London in September.

One of the things that my new Tutor was realy buzzed about was one of my main themes..which is the transformational change in the 'Cutural landscape of Ireland'.

In my efforts to gain information to fit my ideas for a daily visual diary....I had to get meetings set up with various sides of the 'devide'.....another great passion and part of my spiritual life is tied with Ballycastle...where I have worked for 25 odd years as a vol...and is the home of the seventh wonder of the world...'The Giants Causeway'

One of my main peices of art work in progress is a version of 'The Causeway'....only I am using plastic/rubber bullets to create a three d image of it...play on the words, ie...'The Cause'...a quick way for explaining what has been going on in Northern Ireland for 30 odd years...yes, it is quite a stark image of our past, but one I feel strongly enough to produce. I have chatted with 'The relatives for justice' who want to comission the peice(that's there main area of contention as nineteen died(including nine children) as a result of the bullets which were not meant to mame or kill!!!The images I have obtained are harsh...but so was the use of such weapons.

My second peice is more optimistic...It involves another play on words...'evoloution...devoloution 1916-2007' In this I have a photo of an old mangle, with a political figure(not chosen yet) churning sheets of 'propoganda' from the dates just mentioned...all past and strident imagery from then until now...working on hope for the future.

My third peice was more difficult to get my head around as it was neccesarry for me to find imagery that would reflect the protestant lifestyles/identity in a positive light!!! Every one I spoke to(protestants included) could not tell...or point me in the direction of such a request and it became apparent that it is because an identity does not exist....yet!!!

So my formative idea is to use the gestation period of a child in it's moms womb...and work on the 'culture and identity' being re-born or newly born into a new and aspiring way of life. This is where I start to learn from the outside in re jewellry and design( as I already possess many tec skills in the craft)

So, these are the things I have been working on from my interview. I have been seeking out bullets, taking photos...noting down processes. Putting together a course for a community project in my home town which I will teach..(if I get the time!!)I also need to become a photoshop wiz!!!!(help)
I hope it makes some sense to ya'll

Much Love

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#115800 - 05/31/07 09:17 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Po, it's so good to hear from you.

You've taken up some very challenging projects. I can see why you don't have much time to spare. I wish you all the luck in the world, and that your art receives the recognition it deserves.

Quote:

Through all the world there goes one long cry from the heart of the artist: Give me leave to do my utmost.
Isak Dineson, 'Babette's Feast'

Celtic must be very busy too. Miss you gals…but then it's summer and time is more filled then in the winter months.

#115801 - 05/31/07 10:22 PM Re: update on University [Re: Edelweiss]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
WOW! Po! I'm impressed. I know you're having fun being so creative! We miss you.

#115802 - 05/31/07 10:29 PM Re: update on University [Re: Edelweiss]
Poppie Offline

Hey Angal a chara, Yeah...I have missed being about so many of all my big sisters
Have you an idea of what I am trying to do? They are all great undertakings and stuff like this should be docummented for hystsorical purposes...and from the fact that I am female.

I will be in a little over the weekend to see if I can get some positive or negative feedbach...just a wee feel. Need all your feedback.....plz

Popea

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved