The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 185 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#115833 - 10/10/07 08:56 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
What a great update! What say you do this once a week? Or at least every other week? Can do? We love hearing about your life adventure, Poppie...and we also send our love to you and yours. God's speed!

#115834 - 10/12/07 01:15 PM Re: update on University [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Poppie, sounds like you are working within your passion and when you do that, life is GRAND! How neat that your first piece is for Celtic. I can't wait to see pictues of your work. The one piece you shared with us was so unique. I'd never seen anything like it here in the states. Maybe we boomer women who are state-side can sell your creations for you!

#115835 - 10/20/07 03:12 PM Re: update on University
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Hey Ladies,

Another wee update.

Dotsie, I have just finished listening to your radio inerveiw via the link you posted....what a treat to get to hear how committed and passionate you are about your vision. I love how you link your faith in what you do.
Re selling my stuff state-side...oh yes please. When I become a little more established we can get that up and running.
'Marconi's Cottage' is a legend now...I keep running into tutors, tecnicians who were here (85/86) and the likes who are keen to hear how I came full circle to be back at 'The Cass' again.
I have been deposited all over the Uni to speak with other classes form undergrad to MA,about what I have already done and what my dreams are for the future.
The last week has been great...one of next weeks projects is to make a map using mixed media to demonstrate how I came to be back here in London....so some of my research has been based on some of my old posts in the forums(just had a wee trip down memory lane)...I have been sitting here reading back over my personal journey in boomerland....wow!!!!How much history already?? How much support from all concerned in here and elswhere??? How amazing is this site??

It has only been one month of teaching and I have learned so much. I am so very fortunate to have this chance at living my dream for sure. (Oh gush, gush gush)

As much as I thank god for my experiences, again I thank all who have supported me from the time I joined up with boomers.

Much Love and thanks

Poppie

#115836 - 10/20/07 04:19 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Mountain Ash Offline

How theraputic to revisit your journey.A bit like walking the labryinth.So take good care of your emotions.
Mountain ash

#115837 - 10/21/07 02:29 PM Re: update on University [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Gosh, it's amazing what you have already accomplished. I look forward to the day when I can say "Isn't this beautiful? It's a Poppie original!"

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#115838 - 11/03/07 12:14 PM Re: new update on University! [Re: Anno]
Poppie Offline

Hello Ladies, another quick update on how things are going in Unay.

I am half way through our first breif which was to take one food stuff, on muliple food stuff...draw, and design ten containers to hold one or all food stuffs. One could draw upon the asthetics of the food stuff(which was eggs in our group of three peeps)

The object ended up being a 'shard bowl' made by me from plaster and acrylic...laqured and spraypainted with eggshell silk paint.

We(I) played with resin to create an optical illusion of a whole egg and yolk running up the side of the 'bowl'....I hated the whole concept but loved getting to work in many diciplines to create the final peice...(which looked fab)

To follow on from that..our new breif which is contained within 'the eat project'..is to make another container from a metal of our choosing(but must relate in some way to the 'egg bowl' concept!!! I hate the concept as I was railroaded into doing by a younger member of our group..she has a fixation with eggs and birds!!
So, I am doing a 'pandoras box' whick will look like a small casket...the lid will be delicately peirced so that one can possibly imagine what the first shelf will contain(anything small which I can make to represent femininity). The bottom of the casket will reveal a wooden vinere polished look..with(hand made) broken shackles set in clear resin.

It is a powerful peice and runs in sinc with my link to the shifting cultural lanscape in Ireland. The casket which will be displayed in a gallery space in late January will have lots of little keys to open(or not) placed randomly beside it.

Lots to do concerning the making process...but so far I am really happy with my idea...the link with the egg bowl is the 'fragility of the feminine...and how we always have to concern ourselves with breaking the chains of mysogony and encarceration'(in its broadest sence).

I hope you can follow my excitement with this and I hope I am narrating clearly what I am doing.

I am also sure thst the idea will evolve through the making process..
I love telling you guys how it is all comming together and hope I am not bieng to over indulgent!!

More later

Big Loves
Poppie
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#115839 - 11/03/07 03:22 PM Re: new update on University! [Re: Poppie]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Over indulge all you want, Poppie. We love keeping up with you and your latest masterpieces.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#115840 - 11/07/07 12:03 AM Re: new update on University! [Re: Anno]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
yea nice to know what your making. painting a clear picture their po.

#115841 - 11/10/07 04:21 PM Re: new update on University! [Re: celtic_flame]
Poppie Offline

Well Ladies, it's saturay afternoon..and to cheer myself up from missing Celtic and the baby...I thought I would update on my progress so far. One trinket case in the making...I am using a pocess called 'scoring and bending' which means that I won't have to solder five peices together singularly. When the metal was scored sufficiently( a blomin' lengthy laborious task...I could peirce into the four corners and bed , break off the excess metal in my hand..then bend the box up to its shape...I was shaking as the proces is so delicate that any peice if bent to fast or rough could snap off...whaich would mean disaster and no sleek box shape anymore!!! I did it and it looks great so far. I now have to peirce off two cm's of the top of my box for the lid, so that it will be a perfect fit.

Then I will make a little shelf out of highly polished aluminium. So, you will be able to see something of what that shelf contains and something of what is obscure beneath..so far so good.but time is ticking on...so a couple of late nights in wokshops is called for.

If anyone can thing of another way of representing 'the breaking of societal constraints of the feminine'..feel free to post..if you have a stronger more powerful concept..I would gladly incorperate it and ad your name to it when it comes to exibiting.

Poppie
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#115842 - 11/21/07 10:07 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Poppie]
Poppie Offline

I was thinking of auctioning this peice to the highest bidder for a charitable cause..seeing as it i so near to Christmas...ANY THOUGHTS?

Poppie

Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved