The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 107 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#113756 - 04/20/07 08:38 PM Re: my mom: inoperable cancer [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
dotsie and eagle i sorrie and horrified to hear of the treatment your loved ones had with the doctors. It is shocking!

#113757 - 04/23/07 04:37 AM Re: my mom: inoperable cancer [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
ktri, so it looks like your mommade it longer than mine did with treatments.

Eagle, I am in total disbelief too. I am most disappointed in the fact that I didn't go to the doctor after Mom died and tell him what I thought. I'm sure we could have sued, but didn't want to go that route. However, I did want to make my point that he should run more tests in the future.

Cathi, good to see you. How are things?

#113758 - 04/23/07 12:35 PM Re: my mom: inoperable cancer
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Cathi, I'm glad to see you too - you're always on my mind and in my heart-prayers (along with Lynn and her Mom). When you have a moment, tell us how your life is going these days...

Dotsie, Gary and I had wanted to go back and complain, but never got around to it. But in 2004, hubby and I were sitting at the pool at our favourite resort in Cuba. We found out that the woman sitting beside us was also from Ottawa and struck up a conversation. I can't remember how the subject ever came up (there of all places), but we ended up talking about my Mom's experience at that hospital. Turns out the woman was THE main public relations person at that same hospital!!! (How's that for divine coincidence!)

She seemed to genuinely care and promised me that she wouldn't forget my Mom's story, but would look into it and then promised that she would make sure that changes would be made. About six months ago, there was a huge featured story in the newspaper about just this subject - focused mostly on how much positive change the geriatric and palliative care sections of the hospital had undergone in the past two years. One of the examples given of previous problems was how my Mom had been treated (she didn't use any names, but it was the exact same info I had shared with that woman). When I showed it to Gary, he agreed, and we believe that she really had taken our Mom's story to heart and used it to make changes in the way the hospital treats patients like her. It sure made us feel better!

(Maya Angelou)

#113759 - 06/17/07 03:05 AM Re: my mom: inoperable cancer [Re: Eagle Heart]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hello friends, I've read and re-read your messages on this thread. Thank you all so much for your caring words and prayers. I am so sorry for all of you who have suffered the loss of a loved one with cancer or otherwise. The blood tests for tumor markers are in infancy stage; the results are not accurate. There are statistics of false negatives as well as false positives. My oncologist did the tests when I had cancer, but did not rely on them at all. My mother is on Arimedex, a hormone therapy for breast cancer. If a drug is used to treat cancer, it is called "chemo" even if it is not the devastating chemo therapy we know of. I am not a fan of Arimedex, a drug I was also on during my breast cancer. I stopped taking it because the side effects were worse than the 2 percent chance of the drug having any benefit. It is my mother's decision to take it or not, but I don't believe she has an informed decision. You see, with the Alzheimer's she does not really know what is what! As long as she is on a form of chemo, she is not eligible for hospice. A patient can have hospice for 5 years if that is the way it goes. Hospice would come to her, offer her support, offer care-giver's relief for my step-father, etc. This is really hard for me to think of my mother there in AZ while I am here in CO. My mom is stable, but stable and dying. I don't even know if she knows she's dying. She stopped asking "Will I live through this?" I think she knows the answer. She also knows she is starting to forget her grand children's names. I can hardly stand it. By the way, my mother had been complaining of shortness of breath for years. But she had been diagnosed as a hypochondriac (when in a psych ward years ago) and was even told within the last 8 years to go home and get over herself. Who would of thought that for all these years, the cancer was choking out her lung away, taking her breath away. I understand all the reasons for her hypochondria, and I have a lot of compassion for that. In my book, where I examine my relationship with my mother (SA perpetuates for generations) I talk about the good memories as well, like when Mom created tea parties for me. That examination had started with a list when I was perusing childhood pictures she had sent me. Yes, she did say to me when I was in a psych ward: "Were you born to make my life miserable?" but that is redeemed when we are together now and she says "Did God send you to me, like an angel?" My grandmother said the same thing 2 years ago when we thought GM was dying, and I was caring for her. Now GM will be 101. She is a breast cancer survivor too, and yet she understands in her old, old age that her daughter will pre-decease her. Am I rambling? I am all over the place in my mind, and in my activities. The only thing I really want to do is stay home and clean. But there is the world at large, and I've got to participate. Eagle, that does sound like divine intervention. I mean what are the chances of meeting the PR person in Cuba of all places?

#113760 - 06/17/07 10:36 PM Re: my mom: inoperable cancer [Re: Princess Lenora]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I'm sorry to hear this Lynnie. You're in my prayers.

Don't get me started on doctors and HMOs. They get bonuses for not doing the big costly tests. It took one year of me asking/begging for an MRI after the elevator malfunction for my doctor to finally approve it. He felt bad when he saw the results and I was vindicated.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#113761 - 06/18/07 02:04 AM Re: my mom: inoperable cancer [Re: Saundra]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Saundra, I did not know that about the big costly tests. I called my step f to wish him a happy birthday. This was 5 minutes after I'd learned that my husband got fired. I could not hide my sadness in my voice. When my mother got on the phone I could hardly talk, and even in her state she could tell something was wrong. I told my step f that I want to jump in a lake, and he said, "Please don't do that Lynnie. I'm going to need you real soon." Who would have thought that adversaries (he was not so good as a step f) would become allies? The core of my being knows that when there is nothing else, when all else slips through our hands, there is always love. Love is for eternity, even when we did not recognize it on our earthly journey. "It saddens me beyond my tears that love was lost within the fears."

#113762 - 06/21/07 04:19 PM Re: my mom: inoperable cancer [Re: Princess Lenora]
Emyjay Offline

Lynne,

I am so sorry for all of the challenges you are facing. But, I'm so glad that the relationship between you and your Mom is now good.

I'm sorry for your husband, also. Hopefully, he'll find something soon. Maybe a "stop-gap" job would be good - a low-pressure job, where he could get a paycheck and still have enough strength left to give you the emotional support you need.

Hugs,
Emily

#113763 - 06/25/07 01:41 PM Re: my mom: inoperable cancer [Re: Emyjay]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Dear Lynn: I'm saddened to learn all you are going through!Please know that we are holding you and your family in prayers. When life's challenges are greater than our strength, what peace it is to know we are not alone to face them!

Love is forever! And we love you too! Please take time to do the things you enjoy, as that helps maintain a balance. You are a survivor, a warrior, a special person. You have a purpose, a calling, a goal. Let not the troubles cloud your vision and your will to thrive and survive, for this too shall pass! Recently, a friend reminded me that God never let's us face more than he will help us through!

May God cover you and your family with his blanket of pure love, providing ALL you need. Keep trusting, keep the faith! something good will come out of your challenges too!
Love,
NABBW & NAWW

#113765 - 06/27/07 04:58 PM Re: my mom: inoperable cancer [Re: ]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Lynn, just to let you know that you're always being thought about, with loving care and prayer...

(Maya Angelou)

#113766 - 06/27/07 05:02 PM Re: my mom: inoperable cancer [Re: ]
Mountain Ash Offline

Sending thoughts at this sad time. Be assured we are all behind you and available to listen.
Mountain ash

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved