The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 98 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#109927 - 03/06/07 12:20 AM Re: Transplant anyone? [Re: Q_ball]
Q_ball Offline

Loc: Ozarks
AHHHH! Pardon my typos...it's sinful..LOL Between looong natural finger nails and DH's crys for help, I skipped proofing that last post. Now the spelling, LOL Never my strong suit.

#109928 - 03/06/07 02:20 AM Re: Transplant anyone? [Re: Q_ball]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Qball,thanks for sharing this personal part of yourself with us. This made me think of adopted children and how they also have unanswered questions. I'm so grateful this opportunity was there for you. God bless you!

Oh, ther are no red pencils in the forum. We don't care how you spell.

#109929 - 03/06/07 09:00 PM Re: Transplant anyone? [Re: Anno]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
QB

Just found the thread...there is speculation that I have already donated my brain...but...that's just speculation...the rest of me is signed up on my license and has been for some time now...

One of the most intriguing books I ever read was "A Change of Heart" (I believe). It was about a woman who received a heart/lung transplant and actually took on some of the characteristics of the donor...a young beer drinking, hot dog eating, motor cycle riding teenager. She was able to meet his family. It was a very good book--true story.

I hope that you get to speak with the donor family if it will bring peace to all of you.

We are very happy to have you with us!

#109930 - 03/06/07 09:13 PM Re: Transplant anyone? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
If that is true a true story and really happened because of the transplant, JaneC, scientist should be looking further into it. Think of and marvel at the implications.

(oh, I am signed up as a donor)

#109931 - 03/06/07 09:36 PM Re: Transplant anyone? [Re: gims]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe

I carry my donor card around with me too...but I'm sure no one would want my brain.

Qball...how wonderful that you have recovered. Liver transplants haven't been done that long, right? An operation like that would have saved my father's life. It's fantastic what the medical world has achieved.
What do you think of cloning embryos to save lives? I really don't know what to think. I guess if you knew it may save your life or a loved one's life then you just think differently about it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Hannelore

#109932 - 03/06/07 10:34 PM Re: Transplant anyone? [Re: Edelweiss]
Q_ball Offline

Loc: Ozarks
Cloning embryos? You know, like you Hannelore I don't know what to think of the idea. It's not something I can truely say I understand fully, but an interesting topic to learn more about. As you say we might have a different opinion if it were questioned on a more personal basis. I do think saving cord blood cells is a great idea, however from what I hear the costs of storage is quite out of range for the average duck. If I recall my research, liver transplants were just becoming reasonably successful in the early 80's. I'm so sorry it wasn't an option soon enough for your Father. Even in the past 5-6 years the surgery has greatly improved along with the medications to fight rejection. In 2000, life expectancy for L-TX patients was appx 5 years, now it's up to an average of almost 23 years for someone my age.

Jane the book sounds like a good read, I'll have to find that one someday. First hand I can say this, my appetite sky rocketed after my new liver was installed, and my metabolisum is over the top. Knock on wood or I'd never burn off the calories. I do limit myself, but I could eat like a linebacker or what ever that BIG guy that runs over everyone in football is? Which is new to me,, in my previous life I ate like a bird.

Dotsie, Bless your heart, Thanks for 'No red pencils', it's wonderful to be accepted for one's self, poor spelling and all.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved