The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 120 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#11000 - 09/08/05 04:50 AM Re: Hypothyroidism
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
DJ--what you said totally described me!!!
I really have to sit down & research all my ailments. I have to change my diet because I might be diabetic---I may as well look into all my ailments & see which would be best.

Speaking of Oreos.....( my last doggies name!)
Has anyone tried the new 100 calorie packs?!! Or is it just not worth it?!!! [Embarrassed] Kind of like those fat free cookies...where the box tastes better than the cookie?!

GIRL SCOUT COOKIE SEASON IS COMING!!!!:)Has anyone else discovered that Keebler brand of cookies taste quite close to GS ones?!!! [Smile]

#11001 - 09/08/05 06:47 AM Re: Hypothyroidism
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Songbird
how did you treat your thyroid problem?
Kay B
I quit buying GS cookies when they started watering them down -- it's been a while now. But I remember one year I was so looking forward to the thin mints or the peanut butter cookies and they were so darn bland. It made me angry, so I quit buying them. Now I don't eat cane sugar anyway so it's not an issue.

#11002 - 09/08/05 09:06 PM Re: Hypothyroidism
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
DJ- I was put on medication, which was changed due to side effects. I was given the second and only choice available then. I had to visit the Dr. regularly and have a blood test each month.
But I decided to stop going after some time-(Not that I'm proud of my decision).

But I had a long way to go getting better. I had a hard time getting out of bed, cause I was exhausted- And I've never been a couch potato. My kids were between 6-10. My metabolism was working so fast that I couldn't even write a word or two.

The worst part is that my spouse was never able or willing to understand what I was going through and it almost cost me my marriage. I don't wish this for anyone!

#11003 - 09/08/05 09:34 PM Re: Hypothyroidism
DJ Offline

quote:
But, in my case, the doctor insisted it was not diet related.
That's the problem with doctors in this country!!!!!
They're trained to look at symptoms then put a bandaid on the symptoms, basically. After years of trying to get myself feeling right, I think that medical science (again, msotly in Australia and New Zealand) has finally come up with some answers. And guess what -- it ALL seems to be diet related! Now we have to seek out the doctors that have studied nutrition, or at least who are willing to admit that they didn't learn all the answers in med school.

The digestive, immuno, and endocrine systems have to be in balance. If one's out of whack, then the others get out of whack. Certainly our hormones change, so that can upset things and maybe we can't control our hormones. But we can control our diets. Statistics show that American women have more problems with PMS and various female cancers than other women in the world. We also have a cuisine that's dominated by the food processing industry. So, I decided to fight back. I'm healthier now than I've been probably in my entire life (yes, I grew up eating jello and dessert every night).

#11004 - 09/08/05 11:27 PM Re: Hypothyroidism
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DJ, you are so good about controlling your diet. I want to, but have such a tough time making the changes. Old habits die hard. I'm glad to hear you grew up eating jello and dessert. There's hope!

Lately I've heard of people hiring nutritionists. Maybe that's the way to go.

#11005 - 09/08/05 11:44 PM Re: Hypothyroidism
DJ Offline

Maybe one of the reasons I've been willing to discipline myself to change eating habits is that I'm hyper sensitive to medications -- they usually keep me awake. Even Aleve, and Belladonna and other stuff that's been prescribed for me to sleep. So finally I decided that I love to sleep as much as I love to eat, and sometimes I love it even more -- especially when I'm super tired and am teaching 3 90-minute classes in a row. Doing that after only sleeping an hour a night would probably drive anyone to desperation. When I started to see results, as my sleeping improved, I was sold. And now my taste buds have adjusted so that artifically sweetened foods are _way_ too sweet for me. Not only that, I've discovered so many wonderful new taste sensations that I never tried before.

#11006 - 09/11/05 05:24 PM Re: Hypothyroidism
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
I suffered from hypothrodism for YEARS and my blood tests were always "normal." Yet my hair was falling out, I was always cold, and I gained a horrid amount of weight. Then I found an MD who's also an alternative health doctor and he diagnosed me with hypotyroidism based on my symptoms, not a blood test. The main test, he said, is if your hands are always cold. Mine were.

He put me on medication and within a few months my hair stopped falling out, I lost 25 pounds, and I didn't have to sleep as much.

The blood test for hypothroidism doesn't work. I don't understand why most physicians insist on basing a diagnosis on that.

He also gave me some supplements to help boost my adrenals, and that helped, too. There's a great book out on Adrenal Fatigue, don't recall the author off-hand, but it came out about 2 years ago and described me to a T.

Kelly

#11007 - 09/22/05 01:51 AM Re: Hypothyroidism
Bookie Offline

Loc: Arizona
Ladies
I've seen so many lives ruined and ended because of misdiagnosis and precription drugs that doctors dole out unsparingly. So I've become a true believer in trying natural remedies first. And top on the list is a change in diet.

There is an interesting article in the September 5th issue of "First" magazine that made so much sense to me that I decided to put their test to the test. It's working! I've lost seven pounds in the last 2 weeks and I haven't been able to lose more than 2 lbs a month for the last year and keep it off. I would hardly eat and I would lose 2 and gain 5 or so it seemed. Here is the gist of the article:
Even though your lab tests indicate a healthy thyroid, it doesn't mean that your thyroid is working up to speed. A sluggish thyroid as you know slows the metobolic process.
Try these strategies for a week. They are "designed to reveal even minor thyroid slowdowns(the kind blood tests consistently miss) If a slightly sluggish gland is to blame for your wieght problems these four steps will immediately begin to repair and restore your thyroid so it can function at its natural, healthy peak. And the changes will be dramatic:"

1. Eat at least one cup of fresh fruit or vegetables at every meal.

2. Limit soy to protect metabolism boositing hormones: No more than 9 oz. soy milk, 5 oz tofu or 3 tsp soy sauce or miso daily. The reason they prevent nutrients such as iodine and tyrosine(amino acid)that your body uses to produce thryoid hormones (T3 & T4) from doing their job.

3. Consume one serving of protein at every meal to make sure your body gets a steady supply of tyrosine. (1 oz nuts, 8 oz milk or yogurt, 1 egg, or 1 Tbs peanut butter or 4 oz poultry, meat or fish.)

4. Elimate these foods from you diet - Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, turnips and other cruciferous veggies. These veggies contain Goitrogens and are so poerful that they can even trigger a full blown goiter (enlarged thyroid gland) and they interfer with the absorption of iodine. Other goitrogens: pine nuts, cassava (tapioca)sweet potatoes and lima beans.

Be sure to drink at least six 8 oz glasses of water daily which will flush out the metabolic wastes produced when body fat is burned for fuel. Otherwise you may experience a lot of bloating.

This article also suggests reading "Is Your Thyroid Making You Fat" Autor is Sanford Siegal, MD

Hope you find this information useful

#11008 - 09/22/05 05:15 AM Re: Hypothyroidism
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Bookie,
I wonder if they caused my 3 1/2 cn thyroid goitor cyst on my right lobe . I hate Broccili anyway . Love cabbage some of these are suppose to prevent cancer . So, what to do!

#11009 - 09/22/05 06:43 AM Re: Hypothyroidism
Bookie Offline

Loc: Arizona
Nancy

I know what mean about "what to do!". So much conflicting information. Next month or next year somebody might tell us differently yet again. Personally I love broccoli and included it in many of the meals I consume and prepare. I've actually missed having it and coleslaw. I love coleslaw! But if eliminating these things from my diet helps me to get this extra weight off then I can live without it.

Over the last six years I have battled the weight gain and it all started when I had radiation treatments for squamous cell cancer on my nose. Along with all the other nerve damage to my face and right eye from radiation, I am convinced that it is all related.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved