The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#107169 - 02/09/07 09:00 PM I want my own webpage
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Would you all please tell me EVERYTHING you know about webpages? I know just enough to get me in trouble. I have 1 and 2 (below) done/working, but what do I do next? I've done some searches, but found there is way too much information to absorb... so afraid to make the wrong turn. If you can help, I sure would appreciate input.

1. Have an idea
2. Have a plan
etc.

I've had way too much time to dream today... having to stay close to the phone for my husband. He's in and out, trying to get a computer system set up and I'm 'sweetly' playing phone operator. I get to be on BWS forums all day, tho, so there is a plus to bonus that comes with my efforts.

#107170 - 02/09/07 09:09 PM Re: I want my own webpage [Re: gims]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I'll start you off with these thoughts:

1. What is the purpose of your website? To provide info, to sell things, to blog, etc?

2. What information do you need on the site? Links, pages, images, contact info, etc.?

3. Go look around at sites similar to what you want. Check their pages, content, links, colors, etc. Make notes or copy the links of the things you like so you can find them again.

4. What is your budget? Are you doing this yourself, or are you prepared to pay someone?

5. Do you have a domain name? Go to www.godaddy.com to search for names. They cost about $9, but be careful, because they try to sell you lots of things along the way. And "Website Tonight" isn't as easy as they make it sound.

There's your to-do list for now!

Kathy

#107171 - 02/10/07 07:24 AM Re: I want my own webpage [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks, Kathy.
I've started a word doc, adding to my 1 & 2 as I think of things based on your 1 - 5.

#107172 - 02/10/07 02:25 PM Re: I want my own webpage [Re: gims]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
I use godaddy for my webpage. I have done the work myself. I would love to have a webdesigner at some point...it just hasn't been in my budget. I do have a shopping cart, blog and e-zine through the same godaddy account. Not many bells and whistles but it gets the job done!

#107173 - 02/10/07 04:09 PM Re: I want my own webpage [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Your site looks fine, Jane. But it doesn't look like you used "website tonight" did you? They claim you can set up a a site in just an evening, but if you want any individuality it takes longer and can be more difficult. Plus, if you mess up, you have to start from scratch all over again. At least, that was my experience.

#107174 - 02/10/07 05:41 PM Re: I want my own webpage [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Jane, I would never have guessed you designed your own. You have more talent that I do!

I did find a webmaster to help design my site. I did all the content and the pages, but he put it together so it was easier to click through to other pages. I found him on guru.com and he was inexpensive and fair. Did not try to sell me things I did not want, and worked with me every step of the way. PM me if you want his name.

Stay away from 1&1, by the way. I had so much trouble with them. I use vdeck now, and I think that Dotsie does, too. I think . . .

#107175 - 02/10/07 08:00 PM Re: I want my own webpage [Re: Anno]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Thanks...I did it with website design...it's been almost 2 years...so I don't remember much about the process...It's time to upgrade to their new version that can do more...I dread doing that!

#107176 - 02/10/07 09:15 PM Re: I want my own webpage [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
I've done my own website, using Microsoft Front Page. I'm in the (very slow) process of revamping it based on my survey results. However, I've switched to using Dreamweaver because I'm able to do more things. I do have a tech background, so it makes it easier.

#107177 - 02/11/07 01:02 AM Re: I want my own webpage [Re: gims]
ktri Offline

I do web programming for a living so if you write a little more about what you are wanting we can make better suggestions. Kathy's tips are great. Here are some more.

1. A good website is one that is updated regularly. Commit yourself upfront to keeping it fresh and current.

2. Color and style must be thought out ahead of time. Nothing makes a worse impression than colors that clash or do not fit with your purpose. Don't use a lot of primary colors (red, yellow, blue) together. Pick a color and then try to use shades of it with maybe a complmentary color to contrast.

3. Consistency, consistency, consistency. Make sure all the pages of your site have the same look to them, and that you navigate thru your site by the same mechanism on every page. If you use a left menu on the home page, use a left menu on every other page. If you use a top menu, then do that throughout.

4. For the most part pick a font and use it throughout. Don't use 10 different fonts. Keep it simple and consistent. You can use different sizes and formatting to provide emphasis where you need it. One exception would be if you have a logo or something similar. That's fine if it's not the same font as the rest of your site. Verdana is a good font for web design.

5. Images - the better the quality of the images you use on your site, the more professional your site will look. Again, nothing looks worse than a bunch of hokey pictures; people with their heads cut off; dogs or cats (or people)with red eye. Also, images for web pages don't need to be very high resolution. The smaller the file size the faster they will load. Use .jpg format for complicated images (those with lots of color shades and contrasts). Use .gifs for solid colors like backgrounds and such. Try not to use .bmps. The files sizes are usually too big to load quickly.

6. Scrolling down the page is OK. Scrolling left to right on a web page is not. Make sure your pages are designed so users don't have to scroll left to right. Design your website for a screen resolution of either 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 (these are the settings for your monitor display)

7. And most important, be VERY CAREFUL about what personal information you put on your site. There are lots of whacko's out there.

#107178 - 02/11/07 01:04 AM Re: I want my own webpage [Re: ktri]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Great tips, ktri! And welcome to the forums,
Kathy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved