The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#103465 - 01/20/07 03:47 PM Re: A friendship changing [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mountain, I understand being dismissed, thus I simply allowed a working relationship/friendship dissipate. This 'friend's' mother is ill and needed assistance, although that is not a position I've yet encountered, I did offer my help. Before several others, this 'friend' very rudely said "What could YOUUUU ever do to help, you know nothing!" Where I offered I could help with things I do know, those being, cleaning, yard work, and driving (to stores or running errands). I thought these would help. I wanted to help alleviate some of the burden of taking care of an elder. She did not find these suggestions helpful. So I simply remain cordial. Sometimes thats all we can do, step back and turn our attentions elsewhere.

#103466 - 01/20/07 04:41 PM Re: A friendship changing [Re: Mountain Ash]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Mountain, I have been in the place where you are. It took a long time for me to realize that friendships change through nobody's fault. I finally understood that if the friendship was draining me, then it wasn't worth keeping up. I can't begin to count the number of friendships over the years that have faded away. When I look back on those, there was always a new person coming into my life to replace those who dropped out. I think that friendships are to serve a purpose, and when that purpose is served, there is no need for that particular friendship. People are in our lives for a reason, and we don't always know what that reason is. I am blessed in that I have good friends, but who knows how long they will be in my life? I enjoy them while they're here.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#103467 - 01/20/07 10:30 PM Re: A friendship changing [Re: Mountain Ash]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I met my DH when I was 13. Because we have needed few friends outside of our relationship, I've not since pursued the "girlfriend" thing. Whenever I've needed a woman's ear, I've always turned to my sisters (I have 5, plus sister-n-laws, so there is no shortage). Now, when I need another female to bounce thoughts off of, I talk with our girls, who sometimes blow me away with their maturity. So, I've never really had the need for girlfriends, per se. But, every so often, I long to have a "best friend" from the girl department (my DH fills the need from the guy department, as well as do my 2 brothers). I do occasionally envy women who claim to hold friendships for decades.
I guess I'm coming around to telling you that I have no idea as to what you might do. My head tells me to cut the ties, for a one-sided friendship is no true friendship at all.

#103468 - 01/21/07 05:15 AM Re: A friendship changing [Re: gims]
Mountain Ash Offline

What I am seing here...where we are all making friendships and links is authentic strong advice.From all aspects.This topic is painful where we are all seking an ear.and somegood company. I must in some way have allowed this inbalance to happen.Maybe out of polite good manners.I have examined myself and feel wiser.I am not the person I was at the start of our relationship .In fact when I had the magic birthday lasy year I pledged to use my days wisely.Yje energy spent on this could have been used to better purpose.
In my heart I know what I will do...wish me strenghth to do so.
Mountain ash

#103469 - 01/21/07 05:25 AM Re: A friendship changing [Re: Mountain Ash]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Wishing you the strength you need and the wisdom to deal with whatever decision you have made.
I think you are correct when you say you have changed since the time you formed the friendship you refer to. You seem to be seeing things more clearly. I like what you said about energy that could have been used to better purpose. That sounded very insightful. Good luck.

#103470 - 01/21/07 11:32 AM Re: A friendship changing [Re: gims]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Mountain Ash, I had a similar situation. A very good friend of mine developed a dominant controlling personality. I ended the friendship, and felt like a huge weight fell off my shoulders.

There is some truth in that saying; "The Older the Wiser"… I think one of the wise things we develop as we get older is to stop investing time on things or people that make us unhappy.

#103471 - 01/21/07 06:22 PM Re: A friendship changing [Re: Edelweiss]
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
I have read all of the interesting posts to Mountain Ash's friendship situation. I hope you don't mind if I throw in my $.02.

I believe people come in and out of our lives at various times for a reason. It's like a train ride. You're the conductor and you pick up passengers along the way. Some passengers should've NEVER BOARDED...others stay on TOO LONG...others NEVER GET ON BOARD when they should. Then you have some who get on and get off at the appointed time.

I say all of this to you to say, when you were "hanging out" and having a good time, it served a purpose---but as with most things in this life, we learn from it and we, hopefully, grow in the process....and sometimes, we just have to move on.

Ask God for direction. He'll reveal what you need to know.

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
http://www.talk2bev.com
“We are Strong…We are Invincible…We are Baby Boomers!”
Live to be DRAMA FREE Seminars coming Soon!

#103472 - 01/21/07 11:56 PM Re: A friendship changing [Re: bamgibbs]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Mountain all the advce given is helpful in one way or another especially what Bamgibbs writes...interesting!!!

I recently had a falling out with someone who I thought was a friend for life. Someone I shared special feelings with but noticed little by little, she was not listenting to what I was saying, she began interperating in her mind what she wanted to hear. One day apparently in a hateful mood she attacked, what hate spewed from within her, I was shocked. I decided rather than retaliate, I would back away, say nothing and see what would happen. Strange but I felt relieved, liberated even and I actually removed her name from all my address books etc. I was content to live my life without her. Life is too dam short and stressful to allow anyone to make it worse instead of better...

If you don't want to do anything final. Write her that you are having computer problems and may be offline awhile until you can afford to get the problem repaired. This way you can still receive her emails without having to reply and see how you feel without her in your life....

Maybe you will get some insight as to her problem, but remember some people change and not for the better. As far as friends go, you either accept everything they have to offer (good and bad) or not! It's up to you, free country and all that....Good luck!

Edited by chatty lady (01/21/07 11:59 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved