The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#100918 - 01/06/07 12:18 AM Re: Kathleen Gage, Law Of Achievement [Re: Princess Lenora]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Thank you so much for sharing this information, Kathleen. It is priceless!
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#100919 - 01/06/07 12:44 AM Re: Kathleen Gage, Law Of Achievement [Re: Saundra]
KathleenGageSpeaker Offline

Loc: Pleasant Hill, OR
You are most welcome. I love sharing what I know. Keep the questions coming. Bring it on!

Kathleen

#100920 - 01/06/07 10:20 PM Re: Kathleen Gage, Law Of Achievement [Re: KathleenGageSpeaker]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I haven't asked many questions but I want you to know I'm reading and really learning a lot and enjoying all of your information!

What time of the day do you usually write?

I've never written with a partner. Does it have a lot of benefits?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#100921 - 01/07/07 02:25 PM Re: Kathleen Gage, Law Of Achievement [Re: Dianne]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
I'm curious about how you write with a partner also.

#100922 - 01/07/07 05:37 PM Re: Kathleen Gage, Law Of Achievement [Re: Jane_Carroll]

Regarding when I write...all times of the day and night. In that I am fully self-employed and work out of my home, I have a lot of flexibility on my writing time.

I do write every day. What I write depends on which of the various projects I am working on. I usually write at least one or two articles a week. Sometimes more if there is a specific reason.

Right now I am working on a new eProduct which is requiring a considerable amount of my time. I hope to have it released very soon, so I am writing as much as 8 – 10 hours a day (that’s in addition to doing other things too)

When working on a book or an information eProduct, I tend to spend much more time writing than if I am in between large projects. Sometimes staying focused can be a discipline in that there are always other things I can be doing, like reading emails and other time consumers that may not be the best use of my time when working on a project.

I find some of my best writing is in the middle of the night. This used to bother me because I thought I should sleep like “normal” people. I finally gave up that limiting thought years ago and it works great for me.

Whenever I have company (family and friends) who spend the night, they always think my hours are quite strange.

If I am writing with a partner, the timing can change. For example, when Lori and I wrote the book The Law of Achievement www.lawofachievement.com we spent many a day writing while her husband was convalescing from his accident.

For those of you who don’t know, the book was inspired by Troy’s accident that left him on death’s door for quite some time.

Actually, at that time, my concern was sharing time with a friend (Lori) and giving her something to do other than the constant focus on her husband’s condition. It worked. During the difficult period of recovery after Troy was released from the hospital, the writing brought a sense of hope and normallacy to Lori and to our friendship and business relationship.

The way we worked on that project is we would meet face-to-face, talk about our philosophy and beliefs about achievement, as one or the other would type. It worked well. At that time I was living about 30 miles from Lori. Now I live 1,200 which makes meeting face-to-face extremely challenging.

It was exciting to see Troy (who at that time, could not walk very well and required a lot of medical care and surgeries) grow excited about what we were doing. He was actually a beam of light for both of us to keep going on the project.

When we first started the project, neither of us knew the potential of the book and all that would open up as a result. It was more just to put our thoughts on paper. It was a very cathartic experience.

Yet, somehow during this period we developed a plan to have EWI involved in the project; including getting short writings from several of the Chapter Presidents, and put together a full marketing plan which included getting lots of JV partners to promote the book and help us take it to bestseller on Amazon.com

How we got the presidents to contribute is I sent a message out explaining what we were doing. Since most of the presidents know Lori and I and were fully aware of Troy’s accident, it didn’t take but asking once to get some incredible contributions that now reside in the book.

As I look back on that time period and all that was going on, I honestly do not know how we did it. Especially Lori and Troy. No doubt we were divinely inspired. No doubt there was inspiration from above.

Almost without fail, before we began writing we would pray, asking for guidance. It always seemed to be there.

Today Troy is doing incredibly well. He is walking and well on his way to a great recovery.

On most of the projects I have had co-authors on I am usually the project manager. I tend to work well when I am in the lead role for the project.

It can be challenging if you work with folks who don’t deliver on time, or the writing style is very different than yours.

This is where a really good editor comes in. If you are keeping separate voices in the writing that is one thing, but if you want the voices to blend it takes a strong editor to be able to pull it all together.

Communication is essential in any project where you co-author with others. Don’t assume everyone is on the same page. Review each other’s work to make sure you are on track with your overall goals.

Hope this information helps. If you have more specific questions, bring it on!

Kathleen

#100923 - 01/09/07 04:20 PM Re: Kathleen Gage, Law Of Achievement [Re: KathleenGageSpeaker]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Thank you, Kathleen for answering the publishing company question so thoroughly.

I'd be happy if you could answer another question for me.

You mentioned that marketing strategies are primarily the author's responsibility. Do you think publishers and agents would automatically reject a manuscript because the author lives outside the US? I have been getting hundreds of automatic standard rejections, without any personal comment. Obviously my proposals aren't even being read. Could it be because my return address is in Germany?

Since my book is written in English and is targeted at the American woman, I don't need or want to look for a publisher in Germany. Should I just give up? I'd appreciate your opinion on this.

#100924 - 01/09/07 09:04 PM Re: Kathleen Gage, Law Of Achievement [Re: Edelweiss]

Great question. I can't speak on behalf of a publisher, but I know that even when someone has an address in the United States the process of getting accepted by a publisher is slow and painful at best. With Lori Giovannoni's book Success Redefined, the manuscript was turned down by around 40 publishers. One decided to publish it and the book has sold over 10,000 copies.

I would recommend visiting www.writersmarket.com. You can find out an incredible amount of information from that site.

As far as giving up, if you quit, you won't know how far you can go and what level of success you will experience.

If you believe in your book, rather than thinking of quitting, ask yourself, "What do I need to do to be successful?" By asking a better question we get a better answer.

It is essential we act on the answers in order to find out what is possible.

Kathleen Gage

#100925 - 01/09/07 09:17 PM Re: Kathleen Gage, Law Of Achievement [Re: KathleenGageSpeaker]
chickadee Offline

Hi Kathleen, I have kept up every word/post written here. It's nice to have you here. Thank you for coming.

I have to write humor skits for my speaking engagements. I am a ventriloquist. My problem is having someone to test new material on prior to performances. Any suggestions?

chick

#100926 - 01/09/07 09:52 PM Re: Kathleen Gage, Law Of Achievement [Re: chickadee]

Hi Chick,

Who is your primary market? Based on that you could actually offer a free presentation of the skit somewhere where there is a concentration of people from your market.

In that I don't know who your market it, I will offer some ideas and you would have to decide which is best based on specifics for you.

Chamber meetings
Women's assoication meetings
Church groups
Homes for elderly residence
Hospitals (many patients would welcome something to get their mind off the patient care)
Local high school or college

You could also reserve a room at your local library, develop a flyer and a media release about a short presentation and open it to the public. This is actually what I did in my early years as a speaker.

I offered free presentations. To market on a budget (since I was testing the market) I would flyer local coffee shops, stores, libraries and anywhere that had a bulletin board.

I sent out press releases and called people I knew to invite them (this was long before the internet was part of our marketing)

You may even find a civic organization who would be interested in hosting a performance for you.

Hope this helps.
Kathleen

#100927 - 01/09/07 11:30 PM Re: Kathleen Gage, Law Of Achievement [Re: KathleenGageSpeaker]
chickadee Offline

Help? Girl, you are a goldmine of info.The wheels are spinning so fast here that I don't know where to begin. I have a wealth of resources in one reply. I cannot thank you enough. How can I return the favour?

Thank you Kathleen, I really appreciate you.

chick

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved