The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 193 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#89313 - 09/23/06 12:14 PM cost of care/retirement communities
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
WOW! We've been thrust into this care giving situation and boy are we getting an education.

Companion care costs between $17 and $20 an hour. Add that up for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. But if you do need 'round the clock care, you get a break. You can pay between $185.00 - $320.00 a day. Can you imagine?

Ladies, when should we buy long term care insurance. Anyone know? I'm ready to sign up now.

#89314 - 09/23/06 01:34 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities
dejavu Offline
journeyman

And the companion might change from day to day and week to week. This was our big problem when my mom was alive - there were some caregivers we really liked, and some we didn't care for so much (like the one who watched soaps all day and kept going outside to grab a smoke).

But yes, if you can get some kind of long term care insurance now, and maybe do it as a payroll deduction, your family will be better off.

#89315 - 09/23/06 01:36 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: dejavu]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I am thinking this is a smart investment, as my husband has parkinsons and it could end up costing us a fortune.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#89316 - 09/23/06 01:39 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: Anno]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

Dotsie, I don't remember what your caregiving situation is. Are you caring for someone in your home? In their home?

#89317 - 09/23/06 08:49 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: dejavu]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Dotsie: Just wondering. Would it be better, and might even cost less, to hire a live-in domestic staff who could be paid on a salary/wage basis monthly? Duties could also include cooking, housekeeping and laundry along with the nursing care. How would that position compare to the circumstances in terms of care?

#89318 - 09/23/06 11:21 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have really been bugging my mom to come here and live with me. I know it means having my brother here too, as he has always lived with my mom but I can hack it if I have to just to be able to care for mom and have her here. She seems to be thinking about it for after she finally retires next April, so keep your fingers crossed.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#89319 - 09/24/06 12:24 AM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: chatty lady]
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
I applied for long term care and was rejected because of my medical history of diabetes, breast cancer, melanoma, and other medical stuff.
No one would touch me!
Lynne

#89320 - 09/24/06 11:41 AM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: LSmith5434]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

There is an organization called Comfort Keepers that can come and give care IF your loved one doesn't actually need nursing care. In other words, they can do anything that a family member might do - drive people to appointments, clean house, go shopping, help with bathing, feeding, toileting, give medication reminders (but they can't do injections), and there's a sliding scale depending on how much care your loved one needs. I believe they have offices across the country.

#89321 - 09/24/06 04:04 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: dejavu]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Anno, my father also has Parkinsons. I don't know if my mother has even thought about the help she will need in the future (we don't communicate much). He has other health problems too. Had a triple bypass a year ago plus small strokes.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#89322 - 09/24/06 05:13 PM Re: cost of care/retirement communities [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynne, I bet my husband would be turned down too due to his diabetes.

Dejavu, we are caring from a distance. The loved one is not in our home. We do lots of running back and forth and checking in by phone.

We are hoping to get the same companion ongoing. We are also hoping to get on a waiting list for a retirement community.Dianne, what do you think your parents will do when one of them becomes ill? Are they still in their home?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved