The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 202 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#198537 - 01/26/10 07:09 PM catching up with our parents
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
EW and I were talking about eldercare in another forum so I thought I'd bring us to the right place.

EW, glad to hear the shingles are gone. I had them in high school and still remember how painful they were.

Crazy thing is that we felt like my FIL was doing so well, and he was. Everything was pretty steady; moods, eating, sleeping, etc. Then next thing you know, he fell and broke his hip. LIke Alzheimer's isn't enough...

Have been to the hospital twice today and he is sawing wood. Couldn't wake him for medicine, physical therapy, or to eat. This is very sad to me because his surgery was Saturday and he still hasn't been out of bed.

They moved him to the eldercare floor so they can better address the Alzheimer's, sleep, and delirium.

The next move is to a rehab facility, prior to going back to his permanent Alzheimer's home.

I'd be most grateful for your prayers on his behalf.

Ladies, now's the time for us to live it up. This getting old stuff is for the birds!

#198548 - 01/26/10 09:20 PM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: Dotsie]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Oh Dotsie, you and Ross are going through alot. It's heartbreaking to watch this. I know.

I will say a prayer for your FIL. And yes...getting old is truly for the birds!

#198555 - 01/27/10 12:10 AM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: Edelweiss3]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Dotsie Dear, I have been where you are and I know how terrible it is to watch our parents dispappear before our very eyes...As if Alzheimer's isn't bad enough , a broken hip is so painful and difficult to recover from...I will certainly keep your dear FIL in my daily prayers...I hope he finds relief from his pain soon...he is blessed to have you and your husband's love during this terrible phase of his life. I am so sorry for all of you..God bless you and yours.

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#198580 - 01/27/10 01:45 PM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

EW, I know you know what it's like to watch our parents suffer. It is heartbreaking. Haven't heard too much about your mom lately. Is she all adjusted and making new friends?

Blondi, did any of your parents have Alzheimer's? I also watched Mom whittle away with lung cancer which was pitiful.

Thanks for your prayers ladies.

Last night, he was still pretty groggy. Today's the day we hope he gets out of bed. Surgery was Saturday and he's still in bed.

#198581 - 01/27/10 01:54 PM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh yeah, our concern is that he's going to try to get out of bed and fall. He occasionally gets restless.

While on the other unit, they had the side rails up on the bed, and the alarm on the bed.

Prior to leaving last night, we realized only one side rail was up so we asked the tech if we could raise the other side.

"No, we can't do that. It's against hospital policy."

me - "What's against hospital policy?

"If we do that, we're restraining the patient, and we can't restrain them."

me- "Well, that's what we want to do. We don't want him to get out of bed."

"Yes, but that's considered restraining the patient and we can't do that. That's against hospital policy."

me - "Well they had them up on the other floor."

"Well not everyone listens."

This is the most ridiculous conversation, and it went on and on.

He got the nurse to come in and she said the very same thing.

I don't get it. It's about safety. What about when they strap them in bed? That's restraining a patient, isn't it?

So after talking with the nurse, she decided to put the side down on his weak side because it was less likely that he could get out on that side.

WHAT?

Made no sense to me.

Anyone ever heard this?

I hate to complain because the care on this floor is wonderful, but this is ridiculous. It has to do with patient rights?

#198594 - 01/27/10 02:44 PM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Yep...dumb, isn't it? Go over their heads. Keep going until you talk to someone that understands that IF they don't do as you request, you will hold them all personally responsible should he fall out of bed again. Then show up at unexpected times, like during the middle of the night.

Here's the problem....when you leave, guess what?

You may think I'm being overly suspicious, and I am...we tested the system and it failed us, over and over. TRUST ME...

#198605 - 01/27/10 05:32 PM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Was your FIL's hip surgery a result of a fall from a bed, Dotsie?

I think the best thing to do is leave the side rails up when you leave after each visit. Then, leave a note at the nurse's station that it is the family's preference and the reasons for it. Is'nt restraint used when the patient is confused and/or aggressive? If your FIL suffers delirium because of alzheimers then, perhaps you could present it in that way. But, in writing.

#198608 - 01/27/10 05:49 PM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Oh gosh, I thought I was losing it. I knew I answered your question allready...and I found the answer under the Home Again thread. Whew....scary.

Mom is physically doing pretty well. I just spoke to the doctor today and asked him to give her light anti-depressent medication. She is so down. No will to live anymore. I bought a karoke DVD with old German songs. We sang them together, this afternoon, and that got a smile on her face. Little steps...that's all.

Yes, I agree JJ...sneak check ups are the best. I think Dotsie once mentioned that they do that allready. And maybe a box of chocolates for the nurses. Bribery does help.

#198609 - 01/27/10 05:52 PM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

Its unusual still to be in bed mostly its policy to have patients mobile as soon as possible.
depends on which hip replacement is used..was his pelvis damaged also?
so sad that this dear one is going through this.

#198661 - 01/28/10 08:06 AM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: Mountain Ash]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Unfortunately Dotsie, we all have to be our own advocates when we have loved ones in a hospital...my Father had Alzheimers and was hospitalized 10 times in his final year of life..when he was on the cardiac floor they left him outside in a hallway overnight..alone..I was beyond outraged when I arrived at 8am and found him in the same place where he had been when I left at 9 the night before...needless to say the next time he was hospitalized we went to a different hospital...I could write a book about how poorly I think the elderly are treated in this country, I made sure I was present for every test they gave him and spoke to his primary doctor every day...I was always sweet to his nurses but I spoke up when I saw something I didn't like..and if I didn't like the answer the nurse gave me then I would ask to talk to her supervisor...my mother always said "The squeaky wheel gets the oil..." I squeaked plenty but always with a smile on my face. It was without a doubt the worst period of my life...my heart aches for all of you girls dealing with a parent with Alzheimers....I sure hope they hurry up with a magic pill to cure it our lifetime...God Bless ....keeping you ladies in my prayers.

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved