The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#183003 - 05/25/09 05:56 PM Mom selling my Fathers family heirlooms
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I am in a bit of a dilemma. My Mom is not that well off financially. My Dad was a wonderful Dad but he was not the greatest in the money handling department. He grew up in Europe in a well to do family and I don't think ever thought about how to budget, plan for retirement etc. as he didn't have to as a kid. When he moved to Canada I guess he thought it would all work out somehow. As a result, my Mom was left with little money. He let his life insurance lapse etc.

Anyway. I am my fathers daughter. My Dad and I are similar in nature, nostalgic, sensitive types. My Mom is not. That is why without even consulting me she is selling all of my Dad's family heirlooms. My grandmother gave my Mom her Royal Copenhagen dishes when they got married. They were her mothers, my great grandmothers. I don't care about the dollar value (it is not easy to sell antiques anymore anyway, so they may not be worth that much) but the sentiment value is important to me. I think she should give them to me so I can then pass them on to my daughter, keep them in the family.

If my Dad knew what she was up to he would be very upset.

I have told her before that I would buy any paintings, dishes etc. if she needs the money but I guess that embarrasses her. I know she wouldn't want me to pay for family items but yet she is still going ahead having and auction guy come to the house this week. She says my Dad wouldn't want me to have the dishes because I'd just break them. Yes, that is what she said.

My brother doesn't want anything. He is like my Mom that way. He was not close to my Dad.

Any suggestions. I would hate for the dishes, paintings from my Dad's home to go to strangers.

thanks,
Kate

#183011 - 05/25/09 09:42 PM Re: Mom selling my Fathers family heirlooms [Re: katebcca]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Kate, if your Mom would not let you have them nor accept money from you, would it be possible to have a good and trusted friend purchase them on your behalf?

My sisters and I am very much like you. We cherish heirlooms handed down to us by grandparents and our parents. And, like you, we see beyond the monetary value and treat them as objects which tell of the legacy of the generations before us. I have both of grandmothers' mantilla which swaddled all of their children. I sincerely hope those cherished items from your Dad's side of the family end up in your custody.

#183019 - 05/25/09 11:57 PM Re: Mom selling my Fathers family heirlooms [Re: katebcca]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: katebcca
I She says my Dad wouldn't want me to have the dishes because I'd just break them. Yes, that is what she said.
Kate

It must be frustrating to hear such a comment from your mother.

I like Lola's idea of friend serving as a buyer. But what a shame, she could not give something to you directly.

#183028 - 05/26/09 06:44 AM Re: Mom selling my Fathers family heirlooms [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
She might end up giving them to you anyway. As you said the antique market is very difficult. I tried to sell some of my mother's beautiful antiques to the largest antique market in Germany. They didn't even want them!

#183029 - 05/26/09 12:08 PM Re: Mom selling my Fathers family heirlooms [Re: Edelweiss3]
Ellemm Offline

I'm so sorry your mother has been so thoughtless and cruel to you. It must really hurt to hear that your mother thinks you don't deserve some family items. I like Lola's advice of having a friend bid on the items you want for you. I'd also suggest that once you get the dishes that you don't speak to your mother about it. Your conversations with her about these family items haven't been at all helpful; prolonging the discussion might just bring you more frustration and pain. I'm really sorry you're having to work around her to get something that should be an easy transfer.

#183035 - 05/26/09 02:51 PM Re: Mom selling my Fathers family heirlooms [Re: Ellemm]
Madelaine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
can't you show up when the auction guy shows up? or BEFORE he does?
clearly let them know which things YOU think are priceless family heirlooms. I am assuming your father is deceased?
I think if your mother needs money, it is important for her to sell family assets. But it's important for you too to be assertive and get your hands on the stuff that is important to you. You can't save everything.

#183045 - 05/26/09 03:43 PM Re: Mom selling my Fathers family heirlooms [Re: Madelaine]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Kate, does your mother have no other income? (i.e., social security equivalent?)

I love antiques, something about the old mixed with the new, the patina, the charm, the comfort in knowing you have a unique item.

I certainly believe you deserve the Copenhagen china and paintings.

When my father divorced his evil 2nd wife of 25 years, they had accumlated some lovely antique furnishings. To spite him, she took "her" (the antiques that she had purchased) and sold them at consignment. He really liked them and "he" actually bought them (considering she never contributed to the household income). He re-purchased them from the consignment and never told her.

There is something in silence.

#183195 - 05/28/09 01:39 AM Re: Mom selling my Fathers family heirlooms [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You want them baqd enough you may have to attend the auction and purchse them which seems so unfair. What if you take someone you mom doesn't k now with you to the house and say that oerson wants to buy some of the things. Let them buy them from your mom for you. Sometimes tough times take drastic measures.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#183236 - 05/28/09 03:26 PM Re: Mom selling my Fathers family heirlooms [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I love Lola's idea. This way everyone's happy. If I lived in town, I'd be that friend!

#183270 - 05/29/09 03:47 AM Re: Mom selling my Fathers family heirlooms [Re: Dotsie]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
My Mom has social security and some savings. I will speak to her again. I don't want all of the paintings. There is just one that was in a lot of photos with my Dad and family members, me included. I have a nice photo in front of it with my brother and Dad, me in the middle.

My Mom doesn't get it. She makes needle point pictures and keeps giving me these types of pictures every year at Christmas etc. I am not into needle point pictures. I have enough of them anyway. I appreciate all the work that goes into them but I have enough and they are kind of country style, not me at all. She gets mad if I don't have them all over my house. They don't go with my furnishings at all.

I am into abstract type paintings. The one I want is a oil painting. It is not abstract but I like it and it has sentimental value. She is angry that I want it and I don't want to keep receiving her pictures. She said I only want that one as it's worth the most. I don't even know how much any of them are worth but they are not well known artists. They are just old. My Mom has some major jealousy issues.

If she insists on selling them to this store I may have to purchase the items I want and put them away. She won't like it if I buy them and I will never hear the end of it.

Kate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved