The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 51 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#167975 - 12/17/08 10:13 PM Does anyone suffer from Chronic Pain on the site?
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
As I do. Is anyone being treated for Chonic Pain at this time or is anyone thinking they need treatment for Chronic Pain?

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#167999 - 12/18/08 12:56 AM Re: Does anyone suffer from Chronic Pain on the site? [Re: dancer9]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I don't, but my MIL did so I understand it a bit. She bounced from one doctor to another trying to find relief. I recall that swimming helped. I also recall her wearing a tens, (is that how you spell it?)unit that also gave her relief. In recent years, she wore the heat wraps you can buy at drug stores.

She eventually became addicted to pain killers which was very sad because they messed with her bowels, and bowel problems were the cause of her death. Very sad and very scary for those suffering from chronic pain.

dancer, how are you getting relief these days? Does weather play any part in your pain level?

#168030 - 12/18/08 03:42 AM Re: Does anyone suffer from Chronic Pain on the site? [Re: Dotsie]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Yes, Dancer, I have for the last 20+ years. I once had a friend tell me, when I was crying from the pain, that my daily pain level was more than most have when they count it as a 10 at the doctor's office. And here I thought I was a woos (sp?)!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#168048 - 12/18/08 12:30 PM Re: Does anyone suffer from Chronic Pain on the site? [Re: Mama Red]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
We all have a different tolerance to pain. I have a very low tolerance, while my sons can actually go to the dentist (YIKES!!) and be worked on without novicane. I feel so sorry for anyone who suffers even a mild pain but does it endlessly. I admire their grit! I wish I did have a genie in a bottle the first wishes would be to rid the world of pain, disease and suffering.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#168052 - 12/18/08 01:03 PM Re: Does anyone suffer from Chronic Pain on the site? [Re: chatty lady]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Hi Chatty...absolutely! And I'm right there with eliminating pain, disease and suffering. Although if we did that, what would I get to whine about (grin)...

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#168063 - 12/18/08 03:33 PM Re: Does anyone suffer from Chronic Pain on the site? [Re: Mama Red]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
hay dancer me too, i thought youd mentioned this in a recent post or at lest emphasished with me and i wondered then if you had this type of problem.

is it goina be a perment thing or will it ease for or after some time?

will physio theripie help?

is it medicasion based, for the relife or an assortment of meds and theripie and all the other stuff just to get some relife.

#168075 - 12/18/08 06:13 PM Re: Does anyone suffer from Chronic Pain on the site? [Re: celtic_flame]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I have chronic pain and I am treated for it. The treatment (meds) help me to get through a day I might otherwise waste in bed. The arthritis foundation has a program where certain pools are designated for water exercise. I qualified for the program, so had to pay only 2.00 per swim. Sometimes at the YWCA, sometimes at the university pool. To be certified for the arthritis foundation, the pool has to be a certain temperature, and the teacher has special training. This was extremely beneficial. Not so much to eradicate pain, but to get exercise I would not otherwise be able to do. I think we have other threads on this same topic in the archives. Lots of support and suggestions. Pain can be under-treated, under-managed.

Edited by Princess Lenora (12/18/08 06:24 PM)

#168254 - 12/19/08 08:35 PM Re: Does anyone suffer from Chronic Pain on the site? [Re: Princess Lenora]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I have what is called "cancer pain," because of it's level. No, it won't go away, not without, as I've posted, stem/skin cell research and application.

I've done it all, TENS, rehab of several kinds and I am a pro athelete so I've been through all they offer. Most give relief in part and for a short time.

I am medicated as your MIL was, Dotsie, but take something for my bowels and keep my med's low so as not to have complications ith them. That CAN be a problem.

I am a spokesperson for the American Pain Foundation as well so I get updates all the time on new procedures.

Mama Red, you must not be afraid of medication if you are in pain that is a "10!" You deserve relief and to let the medication help you. As I said, if medical addition occurs, there are many products that are safe to keep your bowels well so long as you are away of them. We must take special care of ourselves.

Princess, arthritis pain can be a crippling thing, depending on the diagnosis. If swimming helps, and you don't need meds, you are very lucky.

I damaged my spinal cord and nerves. The absolute worse pain other than late stage cancer. I am well with it though so long as I know my limitations. I also lost some strength and use of my left arm and a bit in my right.

If anyone needs info about the treatments available for chronic pain, feel free to PM me or post!

I'm glad that very few of us suffer from this sort of pain although it is growing so far as boomers are concerned. It is a growing feild to stop it as well.

Thanks for the replies, I feel less alone.

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#168257 - 12/19/08 08:50 PM Re: Does anyone suffer from Chronic Pain on the site? [Re: dancer9]
Princess Lenora Offline

I am on constant meds for chronic pain. I don't go to the Y anymore to swim, but I do get muscle strength, balance, and bone health from CURVES for women. I walk. Yesterday it was sunny and 32 degrees F, and I took the doggies for a walk, and the entire time it was like a moving meditation. I am grateful that I can walk/hike, because I recall a time when my body could not go around the block. You know what gets to me? Housework. You see, the movement at CURVES is predictable and well designed for female fitness. But housework is sudden bending, reaching, lifting. I still do it like I'm in my twenties, and I suffer the next day. I remember the pain chart during cancer. There were no numbers higher than 10. Morphine made the pain worse! Oh, and that annoying difficulty breathing/swallowing from morphine. Not for me. Has anyone tried "neurontin" for chronic nerve pain? If so, did it help?

Edited by Princess Lenora (12/19/08 08:54 PM)

#168617 - 12/23/08 02:21 AM Re: Does anyone suffer from Chronic Pain on the site? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

Dotsie, how did you know your MIL was addicted to pain meds? What was she trying to treat? Do you think her death was preventable? Or are you saying her death was facilitated by the use of meds because they caused complications? Just wondering if there is something we need to know about pain treatment. If you can say...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved