The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 111 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#147150 - 04/25/08 03:57 PM Diverticulitis and me.
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
After spending the night in the ER, I learned that I'm having another bout of divertisulitis.

This is crazy. You can't believe the pain I'm in. While I'm so grateful to be home with four prescriptions, I'm a bit confused by this whole infection.

Do you have diverticulosis or diverticulitis? If you do, has your doctor put you on a diet? I'd love to know.

You may recall that I had E-Coli poisoning and diverticulitis upon my arrival home from Mexico about a year and a half ago. I really thought I should be on a diet, but two doctors told me there really isn't a diet and to eat what I wanted...and here I am again.

I'd love to know how to prevent this.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#147151 - 04/25/08 05:02 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me.
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Dotsie, I feel so bad for you; how frustrating. I don't have any personal experience with this issue, but here are some helpful links:

http://www.end-diverticulitis.com/page/18/diverticulitis-diet.html

http://www.healthcastle.com/diverticulitis_diet.shtml

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diverticulosis/index.htm

#147152 - 04/25/08 05:44 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me.
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Dotsie..what it is it? I probably know the Swedish term..and it sounds like something that I can get my doctor warned me..so I have to keep a watch on what I eat..but please..explain what it is..I have to give my son a ride to the subway..then I´ll be back for a bit..

I really feel for you as I know the pain that the digestive system can cause..espcially the intestines..it is the intestines, right?? My dear dear Dotsie..I will be praying for you..

#147153 - 04/25/08 05:47 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Dotsie, I DO hope you get yourself feeling a lot better soon...this is NO FUN for you at all and certainly slows you down. I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and colitis. I, too, have had a problem with getting any specific diets. Research tells me that so many recommend completely different things so it makes it very confusing. I've always heard that diverticulitis should be treated with a high fiber diet. Sadly, I'm not surprised that doctors have never given you a straight answer on this. Some people have used high fiber with IBS with good results and others suffer more doing that. It may really take you a process of elimination...taking things away that cause you distress and adding others that seem to help you specifically. Rest well this weekend and I'll pray that your awful symptoms begin to subside and heal. So very sorry to hear you're having such a bad time with this!

#147154 - 04/25/08 06:43 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: ladyjane]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
I have IBS,too..the one with diaherrea. My doctor recommended 2 things..bulk medicine (?) everything is said in Swedish for me here..so I don´t have the english terms..a special bulkmedel that is called..Inolaxol, the main ingredient being:sterkullagummi. This bulkmedel kind of becomes a gelly like thing in your intestines and protects them from further irritation. This particular bulk..medel is especially recommended for IBS..either with constipation or diaherrea. I have found that this helps me alot..and I mean alot. Then I use Immodium when things get a bit difficult. But I almost find the Inolaxol to be the most helpful.

As for diet..I was recommended, as LJ suggests, a trial and error thing..where I simply stay away from that which gives me trouble. Fiber rich diets do NOT have to be as helpful as one thinks..and it very much depends on which fibers work for you. Do you have pockets in your intestines? Then keep away from corn as in corn on the cob and grapes. These tend to get stuck in your pockets and cause collitis..or inflammation of the colon or bowels. In my case, I find that cashew nuts are quite helpful..and these fibers also develope a gel when they are digested in the intestines..

Excercise is also beneficial for your intestines..as it gets them moving just by the mere fact that YOU are moving..and this clears out any "stuck" food in the intestines or pockets. This is why yoga is very beneficial..lots of excercises for the stomach and deep breathing..which also has an effect on your intestines. I am thinking about your new rowing excercises..they definitely get your tummy moving..could that be part of the problem? That it´s something new for your body and perhaps you are even "purging" it of something that has been there latently?

Dotsie..I have even found a chat place for people with IBS..if that would be of any help? Or perhpas you will find a chat place for just your type of intestinal problem. Doctors still know very little about our intestines and above all how they are affected by our thoughts and emotions. The stuff that intestines are made of is the same as the brain´s neural paths (new discovery) and this SAYS ALOT!!! So..the theory is that the intestines have a direct connection with our brain..and, therefore, thought system.. Anyway, considering all this..you may get more help from fellow sufferers than from the medical profession..and that´s why the suggestion of a chat room..

I am thinking of you, Dotsie..sooo much!!! Please check in and let us know how you are doing!!!!

By the way..when I had by painful bout..the doctor I met then told me to eat a very light diet..mostly fluids to begin with: vegetable juices.clear broth and fruit juices. Your health store can help you out here..and then to slowly try rice and fish..toast..and slowly start eating again..watching for reactions from your digestive system. I was told to stay away from milk products for at least 2 weeks..hard cheese was ok..in small amounts. I was in to quinoa then..a very very healthy grain or something with lots of protein..food for astranauts, they say.. Your health store can be a BIG help here..they know alot about these things..much more than I ever imagined!

#147155 - 04/25/08 07:22 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: humlan]
Mij Offline

grin

#147156 - 04/25/08 07:34 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: humlan]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Dotsie, sorry I can't help you with any advice. Infact I had to look up diverticulosis, since I never heard of it before. I read it has something to do with weakened muscles in the colon area. I was just wondering if your rowing sport may have stirred this up again? Just a thought.
Pain like that must be awful. I'm sure many prayers are on their way to you. Mine too.

I know you like the beach, so here is a breath of fresh salty air to lift your spirits. Hugs! Edelweiss

#147157 - 04/25/08 11:08 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: Edelweiss]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My neighbor has it Dotsie and YES, she has to follow a strict diet faithfully. She can't even eat pepper. Diverticulitis are small pockets or creases that form in the intestines and sometimes they catch small particles of food which eventualy become inflamed and infected. It can be very serious and is suppose to be excruciating at times according to my neighbor. There is good info on the web and I have seen this in one of my many health books. I will look it up and see what I can find. I hope and pray you feel better soon.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#147158 - 04/26/08 12:24 AM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories. I'm posting in bed until my lap top poops out on me.

The doctor today, told me high fiber and lots of water, lots and lots of water. Two other docs and this one today, said that there's no proof that staying away from seeds, popcorn, corn, etc. will help. But I'm going to stay away from those foods anyway.

I am also going to have some food allergy testing done. I've heard you can do it with a simple blood test. Since this is the second time I've had this in a little under two years, I want more answers.

Isn't it wild that the information they gave me about diverticulitis was a print out from the Mayo Clinic? Everything we need is really online at our finger-tips.

I'm getting ready to call it a night. We were in the ER from about 1:30 AM to about 9 something this morning. It's definitely not a place to sleep. However, all the doctors and nurses, etc. were so kind. I lucked out! I've heard some wicked stories about ERs. In fact, my MIL died from a perfurated bowel in an ER. It never should have happened.

Night and thanks for everything.

Edited by Dotsie (04/26/08 12:27 AM)

#147159 - 04/26/08 12:34 AM Re: Diverticulitis and me.
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Hope you're up and feeling better when you read this. I have some of the same problems... even had a blockage once - so painful!!!! The obstruction lasted for three days, and hurt like the dickens! I think me tenses from the pain made the symptoms even worse. I didn't go to the doctor (I've always had stomach problems, since my teens), but thank goodness my sister, who's a nurse, came in from FL and gave me some relief (plus I was prayed for). I'm even more selective with what I put in my mouth anymore... corn IS bad... my maternal grandmother told me this when I was a little girl, claiming it was cow food. I have been leary of it since, but so LOVE it and sneak a tablespoon of it on a salad, here and there.

Special prayers coming your way...(heart)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved