The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#96117 - 11/24/06 11:53 PM Scarlett woman...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Do any of you that are divorced or have been divorced notice being treated differently by men and/or women? I noticed it from my own close girlfriends, some gave me the AWWW, poor thing look. While others (still married) snickered like I had failed and they hadn't. You probably know the type. Then there were the female friends that wanted me no where near their man, and the men (usually married ones) looked at me as if I were a lamb chop and they were starving? Have any one of these things happened to you?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#96118 - 11/25/06 03:17 AM Re: Scarlett woman... [Re: chatty lady]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
I don't notice it so much now but when I was first divorced (10 years ago) I noticed it alot at school functions among the other mothers who seemed to feel sorry for me and my son. I find it interesting that quite a few of those mothers are now single mothers as well.

I really don't get the feeling that my friends don't want me near their husbands - I guess I'm no threat - although I do feel like some women wish they had the freedom I have.

I seem to have more male friends than I used to and that's a good thing... I don't have to worry about my husband being jealous I guess...

People are soo funny...

Donna

#96119 - 11/25/06 05:55 AM Re: Scarlett woman... [Re: 49erDonna]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I remember when I first separated some women seemed threatened by me and my new status. One time in particular stands out. I went to a barbacue one year for my kids soccer team and the women all hung out together in one corner and many of the men talked to me. The women did not include me at all and I felt really out of place. I think for married women it represents fear, a reality that it could happen to them and they don't want to be reminded. I felt like I had a disease, the broken marriage disease. I think they felt sorry for me. During that time I was not myself and people noticed so they reacted to me differently. I have alot more confidence now (after 10 years). I do so many things on my own and am so used to it that I don't notice how the men or women behave anymore. I do know that because I'm more confident it seems that married women are more at ease around me. Kate

#96120 - 11/25/06 02:19 PM Re: Scarlett woman... [Re: katebcca]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chatty, please see my post under "married or single", as I seem to have merged my comments!

#96121 - 11/25/06 03:03 PM Re: Scarlett woman... [Re: ]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Gee Chatty, I think the married ones, or the never divorced people are in the minority anyway. Aren't they supposed to be less than 50% of the adult population? When I look at my nephews school books they are all written as if the children came from single households. so I think the ball rolls the other way as well.

#96122 - 11/25/06 05:10 PM Re: Scarlett woman... [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Chatty, ouch! I believe I'd find me a new set of friends. When I first divorced, I actually had a friend(?) tell me that as long as I was divorced from ____, she couldn't be my friend. I said simply, "then you never were."

I have never looked back. She has, and has been married and divorced 3 times since then. I've run into her on occasion and am always polite, but NEVER chummy, even though she tries to be. I surround myself with like-minded people. I have no room for fence-riders or fair-weather friends.

Katebcca, it makes me so sad to hear of women treating someone this way. How mean. I especially can't believe that the host didn't go out of her way to make you feel welcomed in her home.

Listen gal, you can come to a BBQ at my house, anytime! I can promise you, and Ms C, and the rest of you boomers, that you would be treated royally at my castle, humble as it is!

Boy those stories get my blood boiling! Those people must really be insecure, is all I can.

#96124 - 11/25/06 08:22 PM Re: Scarlett woman... [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am by nature a bubbly happy person and that is something that people always admired about me; yet when I became single again those same actions had me regarded as some sort of predator. "Hide your husband, here come that divorced woman." It was almost funny, but hurt because I would DIE before flirting with anyones husband or even their boyfriend. Never did that when single or married. JJ I would love to have a barbecue with you and would even clean the moat.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#96125 - 11/26/06 02:54 AM Re: Scarlett woman... [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I have found that it's the insecure women who fear the gay divorced women, as they call them. It's just like the woman who knows her husband fools around on her and gives glares to other women instead of the husband. Wrong focus perhaps?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#96126 - 11/26/06 02:02 PM Re: Scarlett woman... [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dianne, excellent point. Perhaps thier spouses give them reason to be jealous and envious. EWW!

#96128 - 11/27/06 03:46 PM Re: Scarlett woman... [Re: ]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I went into a men's store to buy a shirt for my husband. The owner was nice looking but something about him bothered me. When I left and was getting in my car, he walked outside and said, "Sexy car for a sexy lady." Well, puke! Doesn't take much to figure out what he was trying to do.

So, about a month later I was in this express store, mailing something and the woman behind the counter was very pretty but looked at me like she hated me. I couldn't figure it out until this same man walks into the store and it's her husband!

So, she hated other women who threatened her because her husband was a creep! She must have thought that we all wanted him. Not! Yuck.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved