The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 51 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#80598 - 05/11/06 07:18 AM Proper Penalty
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
In several of the southern states they have taken a hard line of sexual preditors of children. They are passing a law that states; First offense of sex with a minor 11 years or younger and it is an autimatic 25 year sentence. without parole. Then when they get out if they offend again it is an automatic death sentence, do not pass goal, do not collect $200... When interviewed the Governors said "yes it is a hard sentence and it should be, these animals need to know that if they want to abuse children go elsewhere as we will not tolerate it here in our states. BRAVO!!!About dam time.

#80599 - 05/11/06 06:16 PM Re: Proper Penalty
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in SC and it is wonderful that this law has passed, I just wish it could be grandfathered.

#80601 - 07/13/06 12:23 AM Re: Proper Penalty [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I meant it when I wrote on Diannes site that we should have a 2 time law. Molest once and go to jail for 20 years no questions asked. Get out, molest again and be put to death...do not pass goal, do not collect $200. End of story!

Edited by chatty lady (07/13/06 12:24 AM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#80602 - 07/13/06 02:37 PM Re: Proper Penalty [Re: chatty lady]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
And yet. Most of these folks were also abused as children. That doesn't mean what they do is right, or that they shouldn't be locked away, but I am very very uncomfortable condemning anyone to death. I believe that is God's right, not mine.

#80603 - 07/13/06 02:49 PM Re: Proper Penalty [Re: Casey]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I agree Casey. I think there are some crimes that are so heinous, that the punishment should be severe. However, over the past few years, people on death row have been found innocent because of new techniques etc. And some who were innocent have been put to death.

I believe that all life is sacred and am very uncomfortable with the death penalty. Do we put these criminals to death even if there are some innocent people who may die? Or do we, to save those who are innocent, do away with the death penalty?
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#80604 - 07/13/06 08:05 PM Re: Proper Penalty [Re: yonuh]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Forgive me for not knowing names because I should, given the severity of the crime, but a judge threw out the confession of a child murderer and actually, I can understand why he did after watching the special report on it and the man will no doubt be found guilty without it but...this creep buried this little girl alive! This was only after holding her captive for days and molesting her. Is there a reason this man should be allowed to live? I would be uncomfortable if he was allowed to continue living.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#80605 - 07/14/06 04:54 PM Re: Proper Penalty [Re: Dianne]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
If the man is locked up for all eternity (or at least his life!), isn't that punishment enough? The death penalty, despite all "common wisdom" to the contrary, does not serve as a deterent to others.
Killing, even for the "right" reasons, is just that.
I can undestand the feelings -- I would like to kill him myself for doing what he did -- that's my "shadow" side. But to grow as a society, I believe we need to look beyond that solution.
It's a difficult issue.

#80606 - 07/14/06 05:23 PM Re: Proper Penalty [Re: Casey]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

GROW AS A SOCIETY now thats rich! If only we would begin to grow but when will that occur. All I have seen in my many years on this earth is us NOT GROWING as a society, crime is more prevelant, mans inhumanity to man is at an all time high. I would love to live long enough to see this growth you speak of but doubt it will ever happen. We have all but wasted the time given us as a people to grow. Oh yes many have but as a whole we are a disaster. I wonder how that little eleven year old girl felt being held captive and molested time after time and then thrown into a hole and buried ALIVE!!! I suggest we save our compassion for the victims not the criminals. I would rather be that "one" innocent executed than let a single guilty one get away... This is my own personal opinion and not meant to be argumentative or disagreeable to any other person posting on the subject....I would love us all to live in a world where prisons and death chambers weren't necessary, but we don't and they are.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#80607 - 07/14/06 06:06 PM Re: Proper Penalty [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

If the death penalty doesn't work as a deterent, why do so many criminals try to get a trial in a state that doesn't have it? Why do they cop a plea so they won't be executed? It is a very real fear for them.

Is being put away for life enough punishment? It's a punishment for society as a whole. Our taxes have to feed this animal and meet his needs. He continues to have his right protected and a lot of times, his needs will come before ours. He didn't stop to think of his victim's needs or that of her family. Oh but, he was kind enough to agree to bury her favorite toy with her, a stuffed dolphin because she asked for it. So, this little girl knew she was about to die.

I've always been amazed that people will protest outside a prison when an inmate is about to be executed but turn their backs on the millions of babies that are executed from abortion.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#80608 - 07/14/06 08:07 PM Re: Proper Penalty [Re: Dianne]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
There used to be a time in British and French history where "transportation" was an alternative sentence. Think "Papillon". Perhaps reviving that form of penal colony could be an alternative again. The death penalty does not seem to be a deterrent and there could be an argument that it might even be an easy way out for the offender. I'd rather that these serious offenders live out their lives in hard labour, being haunted by their crimes and in perpetual repentance from society. In that way, any judicial developments may be availed of by the truly innocent and avoid the circumstances of being committed to something irreversible.

Edited by Lola (07/14/06 08:15 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved