The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 166 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#161099 - 09/26/08 08:45 PM Switch good idea or not
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I have been reading the post started by Lenora. I am currently taking the real estate course have done all of the 20 mini exams, passed and just have to write the final exam.
In Canada the housing market is sliding, but not like the US. Not sure if it will stay this way, approx. down 11%, listings are at an all time high. It's a buyers market although people are sitting on the fence waiting for the prices to go down more. Prices where I lived have more than doubled in the last five years.

My problem. I work on contract for a company that is not the greatest. I work on commission and do ok but want/need a change. I thought real estate would be a good fit for me as I am already in sales and have been for years. My plan was to keep my current project and sell real estate as well.
It's very expensive to start up as you have to join all the associations and that costs $$$.

Recently I began to wonder if I should do something else and hold off until the market improves. I don't have any extra to carry me while I sell a house. It could take months or even longer.

I attended a meeting at a cruise type travel agency and there is a cost but you can sell cruises on commission, there are no desk fees and the support is incredible. I receive no support at my current position. My plan would be to do both and this is possible as my current position only needs attention approx. 2 hours per day.

I am torn. Should I continue on with the real estate with the market the way it is. Or should I get involved in a new career that may or may not have more potential?
Is anyone on this forum in the travel industry or know anyone who is in it? I have heard the travel industry has slowed down but the cruise industry is booming, especially with boomers.
What do you think?

Kate

#161109 - 09/26/08 09:31 PM Re: Switch good idea or not [Re: katebcca]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
You may want to touch base with Princess Lenora. She is new to real estate and may have soemthing to share.

I know you're in Canada, so it's a different story, but in the US, realtors who have been practicing for years, are hurting.

#161125 - 09/27/08 01:51 AM Re: Switch good idea or not [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Kate, be cautious about thinking you can make money selling cruises. How would you get customers? You'll run out of friends and family very quickly; cruises are too expensive for most of us to take very often.

The big companies advertise heavily in the online market and in print travel magazines. It would cost quite a bit to get in on that market, I think. Does the cruise company send you leads?

K

PS: Just got back from a short Mon-Fri cruise today! Will post pics over the weekend.

#161133 - 09/27/08 05:50 AM Re: Switch good idea or not [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
The company has a retail outlet and I can work in the office which they encourage. Of course they hope that you will let your friends and family know. It appears that they are a very supportive company that advertises and their flyers, brochures etc. don't cost you anything. You also get your own website. You don't have to sell just cruises but that is what is most popular in this particular office.

I already have a job so this would be for me to make some extra money. With extremely high rents in the city I live in, I just don't make enough to support myself and my kids. That is why I chose real estate. I planned to work in it part time and keep my current position. Then if things changed I would go full time into real estate. With the market the way it is now, I thought I should try to get into a second job where there is the potential to make some extra money quicker than waiting for a house to sell.
I could just get a part time job in retail but the pay is not very good.
I'm searching for ideas. Have an appointment with the cruise office next week. They want to interview me to see if I would be a good fit for their office. They have more than a few people interested. I plan to check it out anyway and ask more detailed questions.
Kate
(would love to see your pictures)

#161136 - 09/27/08 11:42 AM Re: Switch good idea or not [Re: katebcca]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

KAte, I'm going to begin a post callel Profitable Part-Time Jobs. Perhaps others have soem good ideas.

#161139 - 09/27/08 11:45 AM Re: Switch good idea or not [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Look at the Finances forum.

#161211 - 09/28/08 03:04 AM Re: Switch good idea or not [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Kate, welcome back. smile

Victoria and VAncovuer are very high real estate markets in Canada. I suspect Victoria is now on par with Toronto.

I bet the residents in nice, good lifestyle cities of Kingston (Ontario), London (ontario), Ottawa are just having it good with much lower real estate prices. You should be there...i know, i know ...you have children..

#161270 - 09/29/08 01:34 AM Re: Switch good idea or not [Re: katebcca]
ShipMate Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Hi Katebcca,
Your story sounds like a carbon copy of mine. I'm from Vancouver. After working 10 years in finance (60 hours per week +), I thought it is either the money or my health (or sanity). I had tried recruiting two years ago which I liked but the company I worked for had this goal to become the top company in the world so their agenda was not my agenda. I went back to finance. Now I'm burned out again. I just joined the cruise ship consulting industry here in Vancouver. I'd say any job where you get paid commission will only work if you are full-on committed and you really know your stuff. There are a dime a dozen consultants out there in both industries and I think one can only succeed if really good at it. I am willing to give it a shot. If it does not work, I can always go back (heaven forbid!!). However, I am a bit flexible on finances for a bit. But if you are going to do either part-time, you can see if you like it. I did the recruiting for six months and knew that that particular scenario was not for me. I did not regret that decision but know I have to do something (for the next 15 years)...unfortunately too young and not rich enough to retire....
Hope all goes well. These are really hard decisions to make... it is like jumping off a cliff. I just did it and we'll see how it goes. Being optimistic and working hard is a good start to anything.
Good luck.
SH

"Cosmetics is a boon to every woman, but a girl's best friend is still a near-sighted man." Yoko Ono

#161271 - 09/29/08 01:38 AM Re: Switch good idea or not [Re: katebcca]
ShipMate Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Another thing I want to add...you've already done much of the work in the real estate area...switching gears right now would mean you would lose that knowledge and momentum in the field.

Also, you already have a sales background...that is a huge benefit. That was my biggest hurdle. I sit in an office surrounded by papers and add numbers. Although I'm a social butterfly, having to talk to people I don't know...major stress. I took Toastmasters to help me out. So you have a couple of things in your favour already.

Hey, if you don't try, you'll never know.

SM

"Cosmetics is a boon to every woman, but a girl's best friend is still a near-sighted man." Yoko Ono

#161293 - 09/29/08 08:39 AM Re: Switch good idea or not [Re: ShipMate]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
We are getting the brunt of the finance crisis in the US. Stock market is down, and people are hesitant in investing. Therefore, I think those with money will continue to invest; but in real-estate.

I am selling smaller apartments more than ever before. The houses are stagnating, but hey; three apartments are equivalent to one house sale.

I think stick to your guns on this. You can do rentals as well, if sales don’t go.

I had a friend that did cruises. She worked with a travel agency, and not only organized the cruises but went on them as well. It was a stress full job with little pay. Her employers thought they were doing her a big favour on letting her go on the cruise for free. Right, and listen to hundreds of tiny complaints per day. She would have preferred the money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved