The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#150761 - 06/10/08 05:35 PM Personalizing your business
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I'd love to start a discussion on how we do/can personalize our businesses. I mean really go out of your way to help or be "real and honest" with them.

We all remember "customer service" in woebegone days, right? How can or do we bring that back?

Remember the old hardware stores where they took the TIME to help you, personally, until they solved your issue?

How 'bout the personal note of thanks? And returning or follow up phone calls or, now, emails?

Kind words or gestures of appreciation.

How do YOU help bring the "old days" back to the way we know is so refreshing??

Anyone want to join in??

Edited by Di (06/10/08 06:13 PM)

#150762 - 06/10/08 09:38 PM Re: Personalizing your business [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Again that old adage of treating them the way you would want to be treated works for me everytime. I drive clear across town to the only gas station offering full service like in the old days, LOL! These guys do it all and gas is the same price as anywhere else where you never even see a live person. Some tell me I am wasting gas to go there but it is worth it for the SERVICE they give me...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#150763 - 06/10/08 10:49 PM Re: Personalizing your business [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

Amen, Chatty. That is what we strive for from our customers. We should want them coming back,

#150764 - 06/11/08 12:01 AM Re: Personalizing your business [Re: Di]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Di, I agree completely. When I had my biz Rick and June with the wicking sleepwear, I went above and beyond for all of my customers. Sometimes it cost me more money, but it cambe back to me many times over because of repeat business. My site had many wonderful testimonials on it that made me feel so great.

Now the new owner has it, with all MY testimonials, and I'm not sure she's quite as service-wise as I was. I know she's much more strict on her policies for returns and exchanges, and maybe that's what she thinks is the smart financial thing to do, but I'll tell you, I did well with being flexible and my customers appreciated it.

Many women loved to call and chat with me about their hot flashes or night sweats - it just made them feel good to finally share their stories. It took time out of my day, but I made new friends and helped a customer. I miss that part of the biz.

Kathy

#150765 - 06/11/08 01:55 AM Re: Personalizing your business [Re: Di]
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I try to work hard at making connections with my customers. Like Kathy, my favorite ex competitor, I enjoy talking with my customers to get a real understanding of their needs. When I send newsletters or almost any email, I include my picture so they know that there is a real person behind the website, who has had many of the same experiences and concerns. Even when I have a nasty customer, and thank heavens that happens very infrequently, I take the high road and maintain the mantra that the customer is always right.

#150766 - 06/11/08 02:36 AM Re: Personalizing your business [Re: hotflashgal]
Di Offline

I often call customers to thank them. And always send a follow up email since I know when their order is received. Thank the Lord for UPS and USPS tracking systems!

I try to send a free sample in each order...IF the weight does not exceed what they expected to pay. I do not like to charge them MORE so I could add a free sample!

Especially for wholesale, I try every which way to minimize shipping costs. I check USPS and UPS. Plus, I let them know, if they are flexible, how many of what products can fit into the Flat Rate Priority Mail Box. The goal is, if you keep THEIR costs down, they'll be back.

Send a personal, handwritten note on the invoice or packing list. Plus a little sticker of appreciation. I love doing little things like that.

Send personal, from ME...not the company...emails to wholesale customers to check in on inventory etc.

At the market......I take LOTS of time explaining the benefits of all of our products. Walk people thru our booth.....touch their shoulder and often times end the sale with a hug! I've made the best friends that way!

And.....service after the sale. Always check in.

I love this portion of business. Great customer service is so rare these days I just like to shock people!

#150767 - 06/11/08 08:37 AM Re: Personalizing your business [Re: Di]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
When I have a house sale, I invite buyer and seller to a fine dinner. Most of the homes I have are through referrals. Those are the best customers. Follow up is very important, but also time consuming. I have to admit, I neglect that aspect, and should do it more.

#150768 - 06/11/08 07:03 PM Re: Personalizing your business [Re: Edelweiss]
Di Offline

EW: We did business once with a Realtor. She sent out 42 of our gift boxes to as many "sold" customers for Christmas one year.

I think a follow up, especially from a Realtor, would be extra special. Those are things one remembers. Someone who follows up and remembers people is so "out of the ordinary" that when we do things like that, it's really special!

#150769 - 06/12/08 02:28 AM Re: Personalizing your business [Re: Di]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Great tips above. One other thing that always works is to
use their name throughout live phone calls and conversations.
Not necessarily in every sentence, but people love to hear
their first name. "Well, Liz,...." "Liz, you have a
great point..."

Brings the convo up a notch!

#150770 - 06/12/08 02:33 AM Re: Personalizing your business [Re: diamond50]
Di Offline

I totally agree with using their name. It personalizes the personalization!

Also, once you chat for a bit on the phone, you can usually tell how friendly and open they are.

At our market, if a customer spends more time than usual and seems to hang onto my every word, I always ask their name and often times give them hug or a handshake at the end. Muey importante!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved