The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 117 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#159126 - 09/07/08 10:21 PM Job-Share - What's the big deal!
ShipMate Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I've been working forever and a day...long hours, endless stress... I've been trying to cut down... It seems impossible. In the last four years I've had four jobs and it seems there is more stress with each one.

So the issue of job-share came up...I interviewed two women who are looking for exactly the same thing...you work three days a week and so does the other individual and you have one cross-over day where you can share and pass off information. I am in the field of finance.

I tried to look up "job-share" on the internet and everything came back from Europe...it is not well-known in Canada (and likely not in the US).

For us women who would like to work a bit less but still be in the workforce, this would be ideal. The recruitment agency I deal with said "we don't do that". I told them..."well you had better start thinking about it because I think it is the wave of the future".

In my current company it would not fly...guess why...the men were against it. Men who would not dream of staying five minutes late to get anything finished and who generally don't do much in the first place and can't understand the concept of being stressed. I was told I have to prove how much work there is... I told them "we are not adding a person", we are just splitting the job into two parts..." In my opinion, a company would actually gain (two brains and additional experience for the price of one). But no...a radical concept that seems to be difficult to understand.

I decided I am not proving how much work there is...I am not fighting that battle...so I quit.

There is so much progress out there but in some areas...life is still really archaic. I think women have to demand what they want...we are after all, no longer in the dark ages.

Comments, anyone?

SM

"Cosmetics is a boon to every woman, but a girl's best friend is still a near-sighted man." Yoko Ono

#159136 - 09/07/08 10:53 PM Re: Job-Share - What's the big deal! [Re: ShipMate]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hey SM, you bring up a great topic! Job share, flex hours, tele-commute. It is the wave of the future. I don't know anything about it in corporate America, but I'm sure others will comment. PL

#159146 - 09/08/08 12:06 AM Re: Job-Share - What's the big deal! [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I know a few teachers in our local district that job share. They have children of their own at home, so only work 2 and a half days a week. They get a decent job, they get time with their kids, and they have a better chance of going full time again when they are ready.

I know it's happening out there, but that's the only real example I have from people I know.

Are you trying to job share in a job you already have, or are you trying to set it up in a new position? I think the latter would be really difficult, unless they have someone else within the company that has already talked about it with personnel.

Good luck and let us know how it's going!
K

#159148 - 09/08/08 12:10 AM Re: Job-Share - What's the big deal! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California

#159158 - 09/08/08 04:32 AM Re: Job-Share - What's the big deal! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Welcome. Another Vancouverite here.

I am aware of 1 situation where there was a jobshare. I'm not sure how well that worked since I was working in Toronto and it was at our Vancouver office location.

It was a professional position where the 2 individuals were equally qualified and experienced..they were responsible for managing a library. Then I heard the library was rolled into another resource centre for a few years. Later ressurected but by then, the 2 job-shared employees no longer worked for the firm.

It depends on the role. Personally I think if the role is a management or supervisory position where there are other employees that report to the the "shared position", the 2 job sharing people have to be harmonious and strong in their skill set plus consistent in their direction and expressed expectations to others.

Most likely there would need to be much stronger vigilance on work performance and achieving certain work /deadline targets. And constant communication and understanding with the sharing job partner. Unless the tasks can be divided up clearly without time deadlines to match strength of person's skill.

#159160 - 09/08/08 12:01 PM Re: Job-Share - What's the big deal! [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
There is the item of company benefits. I'm not sure if this plays into the scenario you were painting Shipmate, but I can tell you from a financial point for Mr.Corporation, it would be a LARGE consideration.

Job sharing is not a new concept. When I was in corporate America, I worked in the finance department and did the budgeting for the company. If someone went part-time, they lost benefits. Period. They gained freedom from the job (hours), and time at home with the kids, hubby, whatever, but if they did not work 40 hours per week, the company was under no obligation to pay them benefits. And they gladly didn't.

Later, some very valuable employees DID chose a 32-hour week with limited benefits. They were needed by the company and so they say, "I'll stay and work, but only 32 hours a week + benefits." They company agreed. That was a big landmark.

The reason I'm bringing that up is because job-sharing would have to define the benefits, if any, for it to catch on, or be popular for the worker OR the company, in America. The health coverage is one of the biggest and hottest issues today. If a person had to share a job with someone and lose benefits, then they would most likely be looking for another job.

On the other hand, if they were married and could get bennies from their spouse, then it might be an ideal situation.

Just some thoughts.

#159190 - 09/08/08 06:46 PM Re: Job-Share - What's the big deal! [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
The only profession I've heard doing this locally is teachers. Just like DD.

It worked beautifully. Neither elementary school teacher was burned out. Both felt like they had tiem for thier families. However, if I recall correctly, it was someting they came up with and approached the school principal. She was willing so they were able, but I don't think it's something they promote.

#159246 - 09/09/08 06:08 AM Re: Job-Share - What's the big deal! [Re: Dotsie]
ShipMate Offline

I was trying to do it in a job that I currently have but probably only half-heartedly. I think I really need a break in general and job-sharing in itself adds another level of work because you have to be really organized and work together with a new person who you have to train. Since my bosses were not at all convinced, I decided to phase myself out and take some time off. I've been burned out for years. I think it's time for a bit of a rest.
I am going to work as a cruise consultant...hence the name "ShipMate". I have a lot of learning to do and I hear there is no money in it...but for now I'd like to do something a bit more uplifting and something that doesn't totally tax all my brain cells. So, in essence, I am trying to shift gears and see if I can't change careers to take me into the next ten years of working life (without killing me).
It is really hard though to make that decision. But, here goes....
SM

"Cosmetics is a boon to every woman, but a girl's best friend is still a near-sighted man." Yoko Ono

#159247 - 09/09/08 06:15 AM Re: Job-Share - What's the big deal! [Re: jawjaw]
ShipMate Offline

You're right jawjaw...about the benefits. I'm not married so it's something to consider but there are benefit plans that can be had through other organizations...I'll just have to pay the premiums. The good thing about accounting is that you can always do small jobs on the side as a consultant. But, it definitely takes some planning.
I think companies need to be more pro-active to achieve this "work-life balance" that is always referred to. Seems to me the more they talk about "work-life balance", the less of it there is.
SM

#159249 - 09/09/08 06:16 AM Re: Job-Share - What's the big deal! [Re: orchid]
ShipMate Offline

Hi Orchid,
I lived in Toronto for 20 years and after 3 years in Phoenix, I decided to stick closer to the West Coast; been in Vancouver for 10 years now. Time flies when you're having fun!
SM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved