The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 173 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#126702 - 08/30/07 08:29 PM Oh the name thing.....
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I am newly embarking on my own home care business. Before I can be licensed or anything I need a name for my business!! I need it to end with "Home Care" or "support services" or "living assistance." I will be providing companions, homemakers, etc. to the elderly, disabled, new moms, etc. Any ideas on that first word???? I don't want to spend a lot of time on this but it seems I am.

#126703 - 08/30/07 09:13 PM Re: Oh the name thing..... [Re: ladyjane]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Spending a good deal of time on naming your business is paramount to the business success, in my humble opinion. It will brand you, follow you, describe you, and provide the clients with a positive OR negative feeling. It would/should/could give the potential clients searching for your time of service a "heads up" that you are the one! It might make or break how you show up in the list of "searches done on the Internet. Very important.

So I think spending time on making the right choice for a name is crucial.

One thing you might do is a simple "google" using the buzz words you've described above. What have other people named their businesses that provide the same service as you? How high up are they in the search listings on MSN, GOOGLE, YAHOO, AOL, ETC.?

Then again, it could be that you've already done this and the words you've highlighted above ARE the most used. In that case, you could simplify your business cards, flyers, give-a-ways (in the future) and other promo items by just adding initials in front of the biz...like LJ Home Care (LadyJane Home Care) or something of that nature.

What logo design do you have? Captialize on the name there, if you haven't already. Its a big consideration. I wouldn't move forward until that was in place.

#126704 - 08/30/07 09:13 PM Re: Oh the name thing..... [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
ps---once you get a name chosen, make sure it isn't already taken....

#126705 - 08/31/07 12:03 AM Re: Oh the name thing..... [Re: jawjaw]
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
How about Granny Nannies or use your first name (to make it personal)

I believe you're in Maine right ???
Check out this link and do a name search to make sure it's not already taken -- and to get some ideas ;-)
https://icrs.informe.org/nei-sos-icrs/ICRS

#126707 - 08/31/07 11:43 AM Re: Oh the name thing..... [Re: ]
ladyjane Offline

Thanks to all the thinkers here....such great advice. I had a couple of names in mind....Oasis Living Assistance, Home Care, etc. My hubby said it sounds like a bar or a watering hole...hehehe Still, I liked the word. Hmmm...also came up with "Merit." But the queen's suggestion of seeing what comes up first in a search is a great idea. I had already done that but wasn't thinking about what pops up first. Of course, I will get a trademark to make sure whatever it is is mine. Wish it would such strike me and be good....if you have anymore ideas, keep 'em coming....thanks!

#126708 - 08/31/07 12:11 PM Re: Oh the name thing..... [Re: ladyjane]
ladyjane Offline

lionspaaw, a big thanks for the site you suggested....so easy to check out all the possibilities!!

#126709 - 08/31/07 01:25 PM Re: Oh the name thing..... [Re: ladyjane]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
The online thesaurus is a great place to look for unique words and ideas too:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/andyandopie/sing.jpg

Let's say you want the word "Oasis" here are some other options with the same meaning:

haven, retreat, sanctuary, refuge, resort

And for the word "special":

choice, distinct, gala, festive, exceptional, exclusive, notable, paramount, surpass

Not that you'll want any of those words, but you can get some good ideas there. (I actually like the word "haven")

Kathy

#126710 - 08/31/07 01:51 PM Re: Oh the name thing..... [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
ladyjane Offline

Yes, I've kept the word "haven" rolling around, too because I like it so much! I've been doing the online thesaurus for a week or so now.

#126711 - 09/01/07 01:43 AM Re: Oh the name thing..... [Re: ladyjane]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I was told that my editing, etc. business needed a name and the same way book titles pop into my head, so did my business name: WRITERS SERVICES...Short and sweet, and since I edit, critique, proofread, teach, ghostwrite, copywrite, and even more services for writers. It fits!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#126712 - 09/01/07 12:50 PM Re: Oh the name thing..... [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
ladyjane, you mentioned that you didn't want to spend a long time on this but you are. That's a good thing. The name is so important, and so is your logo. What are you thinking of at this time? Maybe we can brainstorm a little more with you. The idea for your business is a good one. All the boomers are trying to take care of our parents and some need help because siblings may be in far away towns.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved