The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 87 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#78467 - 02/26/06 11:24 PM Wallpaper stripping alternative...
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
I have a teeny ,tiny powder room that has 18 yr.old vinyl (ugh) wallpaper covering the walls...I think the paper is hermetically sealed onto the drywall because I tried stripping one wall with DIF and it didn't move...I recently read about a new paint made specifically to cover non strippable wallpaper...and now I can't find it any of my decorating magazines..(hubby thinks I dreamed this)NOT TRUE...have any of you ladies read about this paint? If not...do I have any easy options for covering this mess?

#78468 - 02/27/06 06:00 AM Re: Wallpaper stripping alternative...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Blondi try calling a paint store like Sherwyn Williams etc. and ask them. If there is such a paint they'd know and probably carry it......OR what about another paper on top of this paper or even fancy ceramic or decorative tiles since its a small powder room?

#78469 - 02/27/06 06:43 AM Re: Wallpaper stripping alternative...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland

#78470 - 02/27/06 09:32 AM Re: Wallpaper stripping alternative...
AvalonBlondi Offline

Oh Dear...unfortunately I have drywall and unnstrippable paper...I think this is going to be a major job...Thanks for the link to the Dummies website Dotsie...I have never been there before...what a fabulous site...

Chatty...I'n going to take your advice and call a few paint stores in the morning...I didn't want to put alot of money into this project...just a little "freshen up"...still...I wonder how quickly I could learn to tile walls..... [Smile] that would look sensational...

#78471 - 02/28/06 08:03 AM Re: Wallpaper stripping alternative...
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Avalon,

I loovee to strip wall paper. Don't ask me why.

Did you get one of those "hand held" jobbies (lol) that puts holes in the paper. (you run it over the paper and it pierces it). THEN, you can give it a "heavy duty spray" with old fashioned H2O, let it soak in for a few mins (5-10) and let the stripping begin. WOooohooo.

The paper should come off in large pieces.

It is always better to strip then not to!

Danita

#78472 - 02/28/06 08:55 AM Re: Wallpaper stripping alternative...
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Well, you can come over my house . My family room has some ugly beige wallpaper on it and it needs to go so I can paint . My daughter did her family room and looks great , but won't touch my house . She mention those jobbies that put little holes in the paper and you just melt it away or something like that.

#78473 - 02/27/06 10:19 PM Re: Wallpaper stripping alternative...
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
I don't have an alternative for stripping wallpaper but plenty of hard work, prayer and patience.

But I wanted to share that I recently saw a brochure for a thin sheetrock that is premolded with wainscoating and raised panels--to give you the look of walls like you would have in a dining room or a den. Then you can paint or wallpaper it as you please. You can hang it on walls or ceilings--on ceilings it would give you that coffered look. Inexpensive and impressive without the expense. Just for FYI's!

#78474 - 02/27/06 11:06 PM Re: Wallpaper stripping alternative...
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Check out this article on painting over wallpaper.

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/PaintandWallpaper/PaintOverWallpaper.htm

This woman is a professional painter and she has lots of great articles at her site for all kinds of painting ideas!

#78475 - 02/28/06 06:14 AM Re: Wallpaper stripping alternative...
AvalonBlondi Offline

Wow..I really love this place...my Boomer sisters rock!!!All of your ideas are sensational and I thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge with me like this...my powder room is so tiny That I'll be lucky if I can fit a step ladder in to cut in around the ceiling...so I'm going to follow the advice on the webpage from TVC15...it sounds doable even for an aging ditz like me...I'll let you know if it works... [Smile]

Danita..I want some of your energy!!..what's your secret? [Smile]

Starting over..I love the sound of the faux wainscotting panels..I have always wanted that in my dining room and stairwell...I'm going to search for it...Do you think they have it at Lowe's or Home Depot?

#78476 - 02/28/06 05:36 PM Re: Wallpaper stripping alternative...
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Avalon,
If you have any questions, there is a discussion board at the bottom of the page. You can ask her for advice. She's helped me with ideas for painting. She's great!

There are a lot of great sites at Garden and Hearth for all kinds of things, recipes, crafts, homeschooling, stamping, scrapbooking, drawing, home decorating, photography, you name it, it's probably there.

[ February 28, 2006, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: TVC15 ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved