The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 148 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148090 - 05/08/08 10:10 PM Quick Foot Fix
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Go barefoot! Walking without shoes exercises toes and arches to improve shock absorption and balance and possibly prevent injuries. Pick a soft surface if possible like sand or grass to recruit more muscles to stabalize your feet. Or just avoid wearing shoes at home, as its the safest and easiest place to go barefoot anytime.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#148091 - 05/09/08 03:26 AM Re: Quick Foot Fix [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I've been walking barefoot around inside my own home for past 20 years. I was raised as a child in a home where we walked around in slippers, barefeet or in socks.

I never understood my friends who walked around in their own homes, wearing shoes that they wore outside. I still don't quite get it..

But I don't walk barefoot outside. It's just not me and where I've lived, it isn't safe..along the beaches in a big city.

But even along a real isolated beach ..I'm not the type to walk for miles in barefeet. A nice pair of flip-flops or running shoes in sand makes me feel better

#148092 - 05/09/08 12:59 PM Re: Quick Foot Fix [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I love being barefoot. It reminds me of summer and the beach.

I just read an article yesterday about all the germs carried around on the bottoms of people's shoes. The recommendation was to take them off upon entering your home. Think about it. Makes sense.

#148093 - 05/10/08 12:32 AM Re: Quick Foot Fix
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:

I just read an article yesterday about all the germs carried around on the bottoms of people's shoes.

Ever since I was a VERY young child, I've had this thing about not stepping on worms on the sidewalks. You know, when it rains, all the worms come out on the sidewalks and pavement? Well, it used to take me forever to walk to school on rainy days because I refused to step on any worms and if there were too many worms on the road/sidewalk, I couldn't walk, Mom would have to drive me. What grosses me out more than the thought of germs on the bottom of people's shoes is the thought of all the worm guts on the bottom of people's shoes (sorry, don't mean to gross anyone else out!) The mere thought of stepping on a worm has made me nauseous, since I was at least five years old, if not younger, and still does to this day. I even used to have horrible nightmares about it.

Strange, eh? But I love going barefoot, especially on grass or a sandy beach. But our new carpet really irritates my toes, so I have to wear socks.

(Maya Angelou)

#148094 - 05/10/08 02:46 AM Re: Quick Foot Fix [Re: Eagle Heart]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Eagle, that is quite an extreme reaction to worms. Your mother took care of you by driving you to school? And nightmares?

#148095 - 05/10/08 02:53 AM Re: Quick Foot Fix [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

Now that I've thought of it a bit more, I can't stand the notion of germs on the soles of shoes. I hate going through the airport security line having to take off my shoes. Some airports provide booties like those worn in hospitals. Another thing I don't like is the bottom of my purse. If you put your purse down by your chair in a restaurant, for example, imagine what germs your purse collects. My husband has always worn his shoes inside, and I never do. I can't get him to stop it. I have bought him lots of slippers. He'll walk the dog, or thrown the ball in the yard, and then walk right inside with who knows what from the yard on the soles of his feet. Oh, this was supposed to be about foot care.

#148096 - 05/10/08 03:25 AM Re: Quick Foot Fix [Re: Princess Lenora]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I guess the practice of wearing outside shoes indoors at home, stems from the old days of log cabins and medieval times when it was cold in homes.

It really is not necessary given how we heat our homes. At least walk around in socks with some traction.

To me it's very Asian to take off outside shoes when entering a home. When I grew up in Canada, non-Asian friends who visited us, were amazed to see how many pairs of daily walking shoes for a family of 8, were on the sunporch... part of growing up for me.

To me, it's less frequency to clean floor, rug..

#148097 - 05/10/08 12:16 PM Re: Quick Foot Fix [Re: Princess Lenora]
Eagle Heart Offline

Quote:

Eagle, that is quite an extreme reaction to worms. Your mother took care of you by driving you to school? And nightmares?

It was extreme, wasn't it! Every therapist I've ever been to has tried to figure that out, but nothing's ever clicked. Mom told me I was like that even as a toddler. It wasn't fear of worms so much as a fear of stepping on them. I hated squished worms.

I guess Mom figured it was easier to drive me to school because she knew it was pure torture for me to have to walk in between the worms...on really rainy days it was impossible to dodge them, the roads were literally crawling with them. In fact, it frightens me nowadays how there are hardly any worms on the sidewalks anymore - something tells me that's not such a good sign.

As for the nightmares, to this day I remember two of them, and they still make me shiver with nausea. Too gross to even share here!

(Maya Angelou)

#148098 - 05/10/08 12:23 PM Re: Quick Foot Fix [Re: orchid]
Eagle Heart Offline

Orchid, when we were growing up, we never took our shoes off in the house. Partly because of the cold, rough floors, but also because it was just the norm in those days. I remember when I was nine, a Hindu family moved across the street. I was fascinated by the fact that almost every pair of shoes they owned sat by the back door.

It wasn't until I moved into a place of my own that I started taking my shoes off at the door...it was the thought of what I was carrying in on the bottom of my shoes that really got to me. Now almost everyone we know takes their shoes off at the door.

(Maya Angelou)

#148099 - 05/11/08 04:01 AM Re: Quick Foot Fix [Re: Eagle Heart]
Princess Lenora Offline

Eagle, maybe it's some type of archeatypal phenomenon. Have you read Women Who run with the Wolves? Pinkola delves into universal dreams, the meaning of fairy tales with a moral to the story, universal symbols, you know, stuff practically inbred due to ancestors. Wow. That book brought out a lot in me, and was much food for thought. I too have noticed that there are not so many worms after a rain storm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved