The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 122 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#119098 - 05/20/07 10:21 PM Spring cleaning
Emyjay Offline

I started cleaning today and have discovered that I apparently missed last spring and the spring before that!

Has anyone ever gotten very behind in keeping their home pleasantly liveable? Where do I start? I'm throwing things out left and right. I think this is the first step.
Dividing all of the never used items from the ones that we'd like to keep.

But, everytime I get started, I get this overwhelmed feeling and have to stop.

Anyone else ever "been behind?"

All hints will be most welcome!

Thanks.

Emily in Maryland (who needs to "dig out!"

#119099 - 05/20/07 11:00 PM Re: Spring cleaning [Re: Emyjay]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My ex has been storing his junk in my home which has filled 2 1/2 rooms, to the ceiling. They were unused rooms then but now I want to use them. I haven't even been able to get into them and so now he is moving a little at a time into storage and what a mess my home is in, pieces of paper and wood and heaven only knows what on the floors. I almost hate to see them when empty as I know he won't sweep up or even pick up and I am going to have my work cut out for me then. I shall look on the bright side being he will have all his crap out of my home and I never have to see him or it again. I will clean up gladly just for that reward alone. Anyway back to this post, I won't be doing much spring cleaning until after he's gotten everything out. He has an October 1st. deadline...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#119100 - 05/21/07 09:35 AM Re: Spring cleaning [Re: chatty lady]
Emyjay Offline

My husband saves everything. I have to wait until he leaves the house on trash day. Then, I run back and forth between the curb and the house hauling out stuff he never misses!

I can't do this until school stops, though, which is why I have this "stuff" buildup in our house.

So, Chatty, I think that you have been very fair about letting ex leave boxes in your house. John has boxes all over our basement. Plus, his office is moving. They let him use two unused storage rooms to hold his mothers stuff after his dad suddenly died. Now, the office is moving and guess where the boxed stuff is headed?

I told my mother-in-law that we just couldn't take anymore stuff and that she would have to rent a storage room. She has three storage rooms filled at her retirement village plus numerous walk-in closets that are neatly packed but PACKED. Her condo is beautiful. She just turned 85 and -- hopefully -- will have lost some of her attachment to the boxed stuff that's headed for our house.

Anyway, I hope this community yard sale will result in at least half of our stuff and her stuff being hauled away. I'm pricing with the attitude of "you can have it for almost free if you'll take it away!"

I know about those boxes, Chatty!

Blessings,
Emily in Maryland

#119101 - 05/21/07 03:56 PM Re: Spring cleaning [Re: Emyjay]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We've been suffering from that "way behind" feeling for some time. Taking care of my brother for the past year put just about everything behind - and then when we cleaned out his apartment, we just couldn't bear to part with some of his things, some of which we had JUST sorted though a few years ago when Mom died...deja vu! Some of the furniture was handmade by my Dad and most of the other stuff that we wanted to keep has been in the family for as long as I can remember. So we had to do a lot of creative reorganizing to make space for those extra things.

Interestingly enough, we must have done a fairly good job of cleaning out, because even after having moved Gary's stuff in to replace some of our things, our house actually looks less cluttered and more enjoyable as far as visuals go. And as difficult as it was to think about getting rid of some of our stuff, once we got started, it became easier and even fun - and the end result was definitely worth the time, energy and mental determination it took.

I think that there's a definite correlation between the clutter in our homes and the clutter we feel in our minds. I think in the process of cleaning out one, we're also cleaning out the other - there seems to be a symbiotic relationship between what we're storing in our minds/memories and what we're storing in our homes...

(Maya Angelou)

#119102 - 05/22/07 12:07 AM Re: Spring cleaning [Re: Eagle Heart]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I've been super busy lately, so I'm trying to set goals for each day.
NABBW & NAWW

#119103 - 05/23/07 01:59 PM Re: Spring cleaning [Re: Songbird]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Emy, good luck with the yard sale. Is it this weekend? The weather should be fantastic!

Eagle, I totally agree about the clutter in our homes and the clutter in our mids. I'm one of those women who has a hard time sitting to watch a show on TV with cups, papers, lap tops, and clothes sitting around. I must pick up to really relax.

We are preparing for a huge party of 100 people at our home on Firday evening for our son's college graduation. I love nothing more than throwing parties like this. So we have been going through things for weeks. Today is Goodwill and dump day. Woohoo! Don't you feel lighter when you're cleaning out?

I have a friend who is selling her home. It's perfectly clean top to bottom and the yard is manicured. She feels so good right now. She'll feel better once it's sold!

#119104 - 05/23/07 06:02 PM Re: Spring cleaning
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Why do we feel the need to keep all this stuff? I know people who rent storage buildings and I wonder if they even know what they have.

If you never use it or see it what good does it do you?

Don't get me wrong. My attic is bulging with keepsakes, so I'm no better. Some we inherited and feel obligated to keep and others were my kids and have fond memories.

I have a three foot tall gold John Wayne liquor decanter for heavens sake. I don't want him but he was my in-laws and we inherited him, so...

We are slaves to stuff.
Laurel

#119105 - 05/24/07 10:35 AM Re: Spring cleaning [Re: Laurel]
Emyjay Offline

I inherited some very strange things like you're describing, Laurel. We've even got a barrel in our basement. And John's grandmother's organ. And a whole old time photograpy business that my husband won't let me donate to a high school drama class. We bought the business for me when the nest became empty. Me and my friend (who passed away) were going to try to start a business where we would go into schools and sell photos of families and staff wearing clothes of yesteryear. We'll that didn't work and husband says he keeps all of the clothes and props to remind himself not to make business decisions so quickly.

I say, it's been almost ten years since we made the bad business decision. It's time to donate or sell!

Oh, well you get the picture. I have stuff.

Agree with Eagle, since I'm dealing with this down, I do feel the need to get things in order. Agree with Dotsie, too.

Love to all,
Emily in Maryland

#119106 - 05/24/07 11:46 AM Re: Spring cleaning [Re: Emyjay]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I totally agree that when we have decluttered, we feel better mentally. You should see my office right at this moment. By all accounts, I should be committing suicide.

I listened to a seminar by Jamie Novak about clutter and it described my habits to a T. I kept sinking down into the chair as I listened because it was like Jamie was telling the world about my bad habits. I kept looking around the room expecting her to be standing there. Eeeek!

However, being the true professional that she is, she offered ways to save me. Its a very good free teleseminar and was very helpful. The tips were DOABLE, and I intend to take her advice.

I think one of the main points she made was to take baby steps when you feel overwhelmed. For instance, take 15 minutes a day to do one thing. If its your bathroom that drives you bananas, then take 15 minutes a day and clean out something in there. A drawer, a linen closet, whatever.

If its the kitchen, same thing. Don't let overwhelm drive you back into a cluttered state. Have fun with it. I think once you see the 15 minute results, you'll want to do more.

Another point she made about your/my office is that EVERY piece of paper has to go somewhere. SOMEWHERE. Don't lay it around with a "I'll read it later" attitude. Act on it when you get it. I'm forever putting a piece of paper in front of me at the computer with that kind of mentality. I count six right now.

Boy, did I need the help! Anyway, you might want to check out her site. Its http://www.jamienovak.com/

Also, if anyone wants to listen to the free teleseminar, I'll ask Karen (the one who sent it to me) if I can give the link to download it.

#119107 - 05/24/07 01:55 PM Re: Spring cleaning [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Georgia, someone in here recommended doing the little bits at a time around New Year's resolution time. That's how I got my kitchen cabinets and drawers in order. I did a drawer or cabinet each morning after breakfast or while I was making dinner. It works.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved