The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#77689 - 06/18/06 10:02 AM Create a Web Site
DebShines Offline

Loc: Brisbane Australia
I am keen to create a web site, but don't have the foggiest idea about how to begin. Has anyone created a website and can get me off and running in the right direction please????

#77690 - 06/18/06 04:40 PM Re: Create a Web Site
Rose Offline

Loc: Georgia
Hi, DebShines, I had to have help creating my website! All the content and pictures are mine, except for the template...Choose your template first and then fill in the dots...However, you have to know what to click and where to go and that's where I needed my help! If you can find a local person who hosts websites, bingo! That's what I did and he helped me with tech questions.
You can see my website at www.counselingzone.org.
Good luck!
Rose

#77691 - 06/19/06 07:04 AM Re: Create a Web Site
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Hi DebShines. I did my site myself using MS Publisher. There are other simple programs out there that you can use also, such as MS Front Page or Adobe GoLive. The beauty of these programs is that it's just like making any other document. You will need a hosting site - there are lots out there - and a domain name etc. Some of the hosting sites even have templates to help you design and create your site. I had many frustrations in creating my site, but I stuck with it and learned quite a lot. I would suggest that you have your content in mind before you start, copy/narrative, pictures, links, etc. Good luck!

#77692 - 06/19/06 07:28 AM Re: Create a Web Site
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Good advice from all of you! You will need a domain name - one of the cheapest is at www.godaddy.com. Runs about $9 per year.

"Hosting" is what you'll need once you've developed your site - as Rose said, sometimes if you choose a hosting company, they will provide templates and tech support to get you started.

Just google "website hosting and free templates" (without the apostrophes) and you'll find many results. Look for companies that have a phone number for tech support, and also for a free trial period. If no phone number, email tech support with a simple question and see how long it takes them to get back to you.

Payment for hosting is usually by the month, but if you pay for a year you save a little money.

Aslo, as yonuh mentioned, get your info together first. Do you have photos? What links will you want? What colors? I tell many of my new clients to browse around the web and make note of styles and colors they like, and also to visit their competition to see what links they have. That will give you ideas of what info you will have on your site.

And then (this should have been first) - why do you want a site? Will it be for sales? Will you provide information? Will you provide a service? How will people find you?

Many folks set up a site and expect to be bombarded with visitors, but that doesn't happen. For example, go to google search and type in Boomer Women. This morning there were 2.7 MILLION search results. You'll need a plan for how to get your name out there to get the results you want.

Good luck! Let me know if you have more questions.
Kathy

www.CrowningTouchGraphics.com

#77693 - 06/19/06 07:38 AM Re: Create a Web Site
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Interesting. I have just set up a service for low-cost web sites based on MS Front Page. Here's the link:

http://www.wisewomanshining.com/Painless_Web_Presence.htm

My intention is to help people get a web presence as inexpensively as possible, doing all the things that Kathy mentioned. Because I am a coach, I can coach you through some of the questions that she asked.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

#77694 - 06/19/06 09:26 AM Re: Create a Web Site
Barkus Offline

Loc: Tyler TX
Personally I have found www.homestead.com to be the easiest user friendly software available. I have been with them for a long time and back then it was free. I just love their free 30 day membership for anyone that is wanting to try it without the worry of a long term commitment.

#77695 - 06/23/06 03:11 AM Re: Create a Web Site
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Deb, so glad you asked about this. I want a website for my book when I get it out (I'm still hopeful) and had no idea where to start. Thank you, one and all, for the great advice!

#77696 - 06/25/06 05:49 AM Re: Create a Web Site
ElevatingYourBusiness Offline

Loc: USA
Deb

Microsoft offers a new program that helps you to create a site. It's worth checking out since it's free [Wink] and you get to play.

http://officelive.microsoft.com/

#77697 - 06/25/06 07:00 AM Re: Create a Web Site
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
What great ideas and suggestions - thank you!

#77698 - 06/25/06 05:33 PM Re: Create a Web Site
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I would like to say that keep in mind when you do your web site that this is your calling card. This is your window to opportunities.

Statistics show that most people stay 5 seconds, or less, on a web site. If it isn't appealing, if it doesn't have some EYE CANDY, or give them something they need, they're outta there. You get one shot to capture them. Make it a good one. I'm not saying sell the farm to get a web page, but what I am saying is put a lot of thought into what goes on it instead of just throwing some words out there on a free hosting site and calling it a web page. Lay it out, think about the purpose, short term and long term. Will you need to have it changed often? Do you want/need a lot of color? Do you have the time to learn some HTML so you can do some big or better things? Do you want sponsors? Links? Does the "free" host you get have popups? That one thing alone could drive people away from your site.

Just think it through, leave it alone for a couple of days, go back to it, then see if you're still happy with what you came up with.

Just some thoughts.

JJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved