The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#96706 - 11/28/06 02:35 AM Chocolate really is GOOD for you
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
Some “chocoholics” who just couldn’t give up their favorite treat to comply with a study to test blood stickiness have inadvertently done their fellow chocolate lovers - and science - a big favor.

Their “offense,” say researchers at Johns Hopkins led to what is believed to be the first biochemical analysis to explain why just a few squares of chocolate a day can almost halve the risk of heart attack death in some men and women by decreasing the tendency of platelets to clot in narrow blood vessels.

“What these chocolate ‘offenders’ taught us is that the chemical in cocoa beans has a biochemical effect similar to aspirin in reducing platelet clumping, which can be fatal if a clot forms and blocks a blood vessel, causing a heart attack,” says Diane Becker, M.P.H., Sc.D., a professor at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Becker cautions that her work is not intended as a prescription to gobble up large amounts of chocolate candy, which often contains diet-busting amounts of sugar, butter and cream. But as little as 2 tablespoons a day of dark chocolate - the purest form of the candy, made from the dried extract of roasted cocoa beans - may be just what the doctor ordered.

Researchers have known for nearly two decades that dark chocolate, rich in chemicals called flavonoids, lowers blood pressure and has other beneficial effects on blood flow. The latest Hopkins findings, to be presented Nov. 14 at the American Heart Association’s annual Scientific Sessions in Chicago, identified the effect of normal, everyday doses of chocolate found in ordinary foods, unlike previous studies that found decreased platelet activity only at impractically high doses of flavonoids equivalent to eating several pounds of chocolate a day.

“Eating a little bit of chocolate or having a drink of hot cocoa as part of a regular diet is probably good for personal health, so long as people don’t eat too much of it, and too much of the kind with lots of butter and sugar,” says Becker.

None of the “offenders” had previous histories of heart problems, such as a heart attack, but all were considered to be at slightly increased risk of heart disease because of family history. Fifty percent of women participants were postmenopausal.

“These results really bring home the point that a modest dietary practice can have a huge impact on blood and potentially on the health of people at a mildly elevated risk of heart disease,” says study co-author Nauder Faraday, M.D., an associate professor at Hopkins. “But we have to careful to emphasize that one single healthy dietary practice cannot be taken alone, but must be balanced with exercise and other healthy lifestyle practices that impact the heart.”

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
http://www.talk2bev.com

“I’m not a writer because I wrote a book. I wrote a book because I was inspired by God.”

#96707 - 11/28/06 05:02 AM Re: Chocolate really is GOOD for you [Re: bamgibbs]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I am a chocolate lover...especially when it comes
to ice cream and candies : )

Let me have some of these choc covered macadamia nuts!

#96708 - 11/28/06 08:48 AM Re: Chocolate really is GOOD for you [Re: diamond50]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Just remember all the studies done to date say DARK chocolate, not milk chocolate, is the good stuff.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#96709 - 02/14/07 12:09 PM Re: Chocolate really is GOOD for you [Re: chatty lady]
Emyjay Offline

Dark chocolate isn't my favorite, but if there isn't anything else available and if it helps my heart, I guess I'll have to make the sacrifice.

Emily in Maryland (who is "iced" in with a box of healthy, Valentine's Day chocolates!)

#96710 - 02/14/07 12:46 PM Re: Chocolate really is GOOD for you [Re: Emyjay]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Good to know!
I have a new article at my site on growing a chocolate garden. All you chocoholics might want to check it out!

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/gardencooking/grow-a-chocolate-garden.htm

#96711 - 02/14/07 03:07 PM Re: Chocolate really is GOOD for you [Re: TVC15]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Emy, I'm iced in with you and Wednesday is my husband's day off. Yahoo. This weather is pretty unbelievable, isn't it?

I happen to have some dark chocolate in the house too. I wonder if it will be here at the end of the day...

TVC, what a wonderful world this would be if chocolate would grow in your garden as you suggest?

#96712 - 02/17/07 03:45 PM Re: Chocolate really is GOOD for you
Emyjay Offline

Dotsie,

We're still iced in, mostly because I'm in a very old section of Silver Spring and the roads are so narrow. Also, old tree roots kind of make a bump in the middle of the streets. So, when the trucks try to clear them, they only get the top of the bump!

Most of our neighbors have gone out and dug themselves a parking place. Oh my, dare someone take someone's personally scraped out space!

Last night, I was driving home from a few hours of work (had to take down all of the Valentine decorations we were going to use for the children's party) and as I was driving I was just mesmorized by the way the iced over snow looked on people's lawns. Where street lights were hitting the lawns,it looked like icing. Just exactly like shiney, fresh icing all over the ground.

It's so beautiful. I'm going to try to get pictures tonight. They'd be great in a scrapbook double-layout and probaby make great Christmas card photos for next year.

Did your "in the house" chocolate make it through yesterday?
Bet it won't make it through the weekend!

Blessings,
Emily

#96713 - 02/17/07 10:41 PM Re: Chocolate really is GOOD for you [Re: Emyjay]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
TVC, I learn so much on your site. Chocolate gardens indoors? I have to buy one plant at a time to try this. Sounds great!
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#96714 - 02/17/07 11:13 PM Re: Chocolate really is GOOD for you [Re: Saundra]
Saundra Offline

Researchers have discovered that chocolate produced some of the same reactions in the brain as marijuana. The researchers also discovered other similarities between the two, but can't remember what they are. -Matt Lauer, NBC's Today Show, August 22 (had to edit cause I can't type anymore)

Edited by Saundra (02/17/07 11:14 PM)

#96716 - 02/19/07 01:16 AM Re: Chocolate really is GOOD for you [Re: ]
Saundra Offline

Thanks, Speakermom. One more thing to be grateful for.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved