The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#184786 - 06/20/09 11:22 PM Father's Day dilemma
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
A friend shared this personal experience and I wanted to pass it on...

She and her DH work for the same company. They offered a steak lunch to all the fathers. When her DH walked up to the counter, he was given a steak. He, being so honest, said that he was not able to be a Dad. The lady took it away and said, "oh, you get the barbecue"!

Now tell me that that is not rude! I'd would have said "Well, you have a Dad's heart. Here's one for you anyway".

One time I'd gone to church and they handed ALL the women a gift.....mother or not!

One of the ten commandments says "Honor they father and thy mother". It does not way WHEN! Why does a pagan holiday have to hurt so many? His wife felt SO badly that she told him she'd get him the biggest steak and make it JUST for him!

#184788 - 06/21/09 12:48 AM Re: Father's Day dilemma [Re: Di]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I give up trying to figure people out...

I feel badly for the man...his wife sounds like a sweetheart and I'm glad she said what she did.

#184789 - 06/21/09 02:07 AM Re: Father's Day dilemma [Re: Dee]
Di Offline

HA, you're right, Dee. Sometimes we just have to bear it.....without the grinning!

#184808 - 06/21/09 07:28 AM Re: Father's Day dilemma [Re: Di]
karenelaine1977 Offline

Loc: Mississippi
That is really horrible!! People just don't think sometimes.

#184871 - 06/22/09 02:56 PM Re: Father's Day dilemma [Re: karenelaine1977]
Ellemm Offline

Maybe it would be better if the company didn't single out people for special dinners in the first place? I can see taking the Sales division out to lunch for doing a good job, but parenting status has nothing to do with being a good employee. That's like rewarding people for being tall, or good looking, or something. I'm sure people meant well, but why have a lunch like this in the first place? I would call it poor, or thoughtless, management.

I'll admit I have never thought of Father's Day as pagan. I tend to assume something pagan is associated with pagan beliefs rather than not specifically Christian. I'd say it's a Hallmark/secular holiday.

#184874 - 06/22/09 03:43 PM Re: Father's Day dilemma [Re: Ellemm]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I agree on the secular holiday.

I've never heard of a company rewarding parents like that.

He may not have children, but he's certainly married to the right woman.

#184905 - 06/22/09 08:31 PM Re: Father's Day dilemma [Re: Dotsie]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
How stupid, inconsiderate and ignorant.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#184912 - 06/22/09 09:25 PM Re: Father's Day dilemma [Re: Anno]
Di Offline

Oh sorry, I guess I mean secular, not pagan.

Yes, he is married to the right woman. They've struggled for many years with health issues etc. So, that is the least they needed.

Thanks for the support, ya'll.

#184913 - 06/22/09 09:28 PM Re: Father's Day dilemma [Re: Ellemm]
Di Offline

Originally Posted By: Ellemm
Maybe it would be better if the company didn't single out people for special dinners in the first place? I can see taking the Sales division out to lunch for doing a good job, but parenting status has nothing to do with being a good employee. That's like rewarding people for being tall, or good looking, or something. I'm sure people meant well, but why have a lunch like this in the first place? I would call it poor, or thoughtless, management.

I'm in total agreement, Ellen. It's as if he didn't do his homework or something! Gosh, sometimes we are treated like we didn't DO something right. When in fact, childlessness is a physiological/health issue...not a behavior!

#184972 - 06/23/09 02:41 PM Re: Father's Day dilemma [Re: Di]
Ellemm Offline

Well, I'd be equally against taking all the single or nonparents out as well; just has nothing whatsoever to do with their work. I'm glad I've never heard of a company doing this before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved