The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 200 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#128505 - 10/01/07 01:59 AM Returning to School
nanato6 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Hi to all.
This is the first time I have posted on any of these forums. I have been reading the forum on education and am struggling with the decision on whether or not to return to school. My husband is retiring and we will be relocating to a warmer climate the first of 2008. I never finished college but it has always been a personal goal for me. At 54, I just don't think I can go the 3 years needed for me to complete the degree. At this point I was thinking about a 2 year certification because I am no where near ready to "retire". I just can't decide what I want to be "when I grow up". From the posts I have read, many of you are (or have) pursued Master's or PHd program degrees. Does any one any input on just trying to get the 1st post secondary school degree or certification to work in a field where layoffs are not very common?
Thanks for any and all comments

#128506 - 10/05/07 12:32 AM Re: Returning to School [Re: nanato6]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
One step at a time. I'd go for the two year degree and then take it from there.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I am jsut seeing this for the first time. It must be my ADD that has me hopping around the forums and missing posts. HA!

#128507 - 10/05/07 03:16 PM Re: Returning to School
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Well, you can take couple classes at your local college like I did , but never finished . YOu can also do classes thru the college vie you PC and turn you work in from you local college also . What type of degree are you looking at . ? Teaching or busniness ?

#128508 - 10/05/07 04:09 PM Re: Returning to School [Re: Sadie]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Forgive me while I put my coaching hat on...there!

O.K. This sounds like a "should" rather than a passion. I think you really do need to find the passion about what you want to "be when you grow up" to decide what you need school to do for you. If you do that, then the 3 years for the degree will seem like nothing. I went back to "school" for coaching at the age of 52 and it took 3 years. I loved it because it spoke to my passion to help people.

There's a book called "Now What?" by Laura Bernam Fortgang that might be useful. Also, I would recommend getting a coach. This isn't as self-serving as it sounds. A coach can help you move much more rapidly through "stuff" than you can do by yourself. I got a coach when I was in your position and still have one today, five years later. It's a necessity, not a luxury, for me. Check out the International Coach Federation (http://www.coachfederation.org/ICF/) to learn more.

O.K. Coaching hat off!

#128509 - 10/05/07 04:11 PM Re: Returning to School [Re: Sadie]
Mountain Ash Offline

I was an adult returner to education after a science bases first job.I also taught adult returners and know that its valuable.
let me know if I can help in any way.
Mountain ash

#128510 - 10/05/07 04:14 PM Re: Returning to School [Re: Sadie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
First of all WELCOME! We're so glad you've found us and decided to join in. Secondly, I think you've pretty much made up your mind as to what you desire (2 yr vs. 4 yrs) and so given that, the rest (I think) would depend on the degree you are wanting to achieve and how far you want to take it...in other words, if you were going for Rocket Scientist...you would obviously need a more advanced degree to be able to do anything with it, or get the job you might desire. Other occupations aren't so demanding and might only require an associate's degree.

So a lot would depend on what you plan to do with this degree, if anything. And I'm not trying to sound flippant, but sometimes, just getting the degree as a personal goal is all someone wants. I think its a GREAT goal and I applaud you for going after your heart's desire. It doesn't matter how old a goal or desire is, and what you plan to do with once you reach your goal is not the same for everybody, in my humble opinion.

Going back to school was one of my life-long goals. I had completed two years and had an associate's degree, but the desire to finish what I started was always with me. I did...with two children and a full time job. I can't tell you how gratifying it was to hold that piece of paper in my hand. I didn't give a rip AT THE TIME if I ever did anything with it, I was just so joyful that I had FINALLY done it! Luckily, my company did compensate me for the piece of paper and paid for all of my school, and promoted me to a professional level, so it was a win-win for me, in the end. I would make a great professional student...wish I had the funds!

Keep us posted and good luck to you.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved