The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 190 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#152784 - 07/06/08 11:40 PM Did I spend too much?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
We're heading to New York and Ireland soon, and wanted to see a show in NYC. My son and I (hubby's not interested) bought tickest for Wicked. As soon as I hit the "submit order" button, I had bad, guilty thoughts about how much I was spending.

Anyone who has purchased tickets to a popular Broadway show will know what I mean - we are spending $400 plus fees for these 2 tickets. Yikes!!! I keep thinking of all the other things I could do with the money, then I keep thinking that this is a once in a lifetime experience (most likely) for us and that we should make the most of it.

This is so hard for me, because I watch my money so carefully. But I'm also the kind of person that, once I decide to do it, wants to do it right. Hence, expensive tickets for decent seats.

Do you ever have these arguments going on in your head about spending money?

K

#152785 - 07/07/08 12:28 AM Re: Did I spend too much? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
This happens to me all the time though less than it used to. I have to weigh the expense against the experience - the experience always wins! We mostly live simply, but always buy tickets to the shows at the University. We have seen Broadway shows, and lots of other performances we would have missed if we were pinching pennies. I think that money is a means to an end; not the be-all and end-all of life.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#152786 - 07/07/08 08:53 AM Re: Did I spend too much? [Re: yonuh]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Kathy, I’ve done that. Press on the ‘buy’ button, and then immediately think ‚Oh nooooo! What have I done?!’ Internet makes it so easy. I think if you were to go to the ticket agent, and leaf out the 400 bucks, then you probably wouldn’t. I have also cancelled too expensive tickets. I think you can do that within a week.

I’m all for going for it;…but those Broadway tickets are way too expensive. It’s the same thing here in Germany. No wonder you seldom see younger people go…how could they ever afford it?

We go to a lot of plays played by amateurs, and found them to be just as entertaining.

#152787 - 07/07/08 11:52 AM Re: Did I spend too much? [Re: Edelweiss]
Mountain Ash Offline

Enjoy and don't think about it.As long as you can afford it.

We did the same to see Joseph in the West End in London.Took first class tickets by rail bought the best seats..This was a few years ago not the current Joseph.It remains a memory I treasure.The lady beside us obviously rich had jewellry on that I have only seen in shop windows.

You cannot take it with you.

My aunt helping me buy a special hat..which I loved but felt was too expensive gave me this advice.

"One wet monday morning when you are home with children and a pile of laundrey and things feel low ...You will remember this hat and smile."

As good a bit of advice as any other I have had.
Mountain ash

#152788 - 07/07/08 01:50 PM Re: Did I spend too much? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Kathy, I just returned home from a vacation that cost way, way too much money. A month from now we will have forgotten about the amount of money we paid out, but we will never, ever forget the times we had.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#152789 - 07/07/08 09:08 PM Re: Did I spend too much? [Re: Anno]
Q_ball Offline

Loc: Ozarks
LOL My husband's aunt says " money's like manuer, don't do any good unless you spread it around". My thougts,,,, a good splurge here and there makes it easier to tighten the budget later, without feeling put out about it.

#152790 - 07/07/08 09:32 PM Re: Did I spend too much? [Re: Q_ball]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Ah Kathy, just go and have a blast. You work hard and deserve to play hard as well. I agree 100% with what Anno said, what a healthy outlook...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#152791 - 07/08/08 06:32 AM Re: Did I spend too much? [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
When expectation is greater than what is delivered, then I know I spent waaaaaaaay too much for a show. I have bought expensive West End tickets to shows that have disappointed me soooooo much that even a tuppence would have been far too dear and a waste of money.

#152792 - 07/08/08 08:03 AM Re: Did I spend too much? [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

Scots are known to be "canny" that means careful with the pennies.It is a stereotype from days long past when a bad harvest meant starvation.
But thrifty is another word used.Meaning careful.
I have always had a slush fund.I save all the change in my purse in a tin.To lighten it.I also keep 20p coins seperate so maybe twice a year I bag up this extra money.
To use on treats and to treat others.My husband tell me it is elastic money and magical.Because anytime I splurge on a treat I have the excuse that its my slush fund.
Fun and long may I be able to do this.
Mountain ash

#152793 - 07/08/08 11:57 AM Re: Did I spend too much? [Re: Mountain Ash]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Hey, what's a memory worth to ya?
The universe made you press the enter key... so, don't fore shadow a potentially good time with worries like this.
We are sending all good vibes your way for you to take in with you.... make a good memory, young lady, make a good memory!!!
I'm pushing 'send' now!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved