The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 222 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148837 - 05/17/08 01:32 AM Job Change Again
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I put this here because I didn't want to cover up Di's great news about her magazine recognition. Congratulations!

I am going back to my old job soon. It's been over a year since I took this position. Some of you probably remember how I labored over the decision to make the switch then. Well, it was hard in the beginning, seemed to be going somewhat better, I learned a lot of new stuff, picked up more responsibilities, worked like a dog and finally came to the conclusion, this is not working and NOT what I want to be doing. I did my best and as hard as it got, most of the time I didn't mind the job itself. I even had some job satisfaction now and then when I saw things I accomplished. But....as I said, it's been over a year now and this merry-go-round hasn't stopped for a minute. I've been working too many 10, 11 and even 12 hour days. I travel back and forth sometimes to meetings (at 7 a.m.) in our other facility carting laptops, conference phones, and folders full of documents. I've been sick more in this past year than I have ever been in my life. I'm not one to call out sick often, but this year my husband and I both had bad colds that we passed back and forth, one of which ended up giving me an ear infection that caused two weeks of deafness. I had bronchitis and a stomach virus that put me down for the count. I average 45-50 hours a week on a good week, often more. I've had little to no time for writing. Something is wrong with this picture.

The opportunity for me to go back to my old job just happened to come up. My former boss has not had anyone for more than a couple of months in the time I've been gone and really wants me back. Without getting into all that transpired in between, I spoke to both bosses and my husband and I'm going back as soon as we find the right person to replace me. The deal is that I will train her and I will be the back-up for her (which is more than I've had on this job).

I was afraid people would think I couldn't do it or that I got demoted or something, then I realized, a few things. 1. It's no one else's business. 2. It's not about them.
3. It's what I want. and 4. I don't care what they think. This is about me.

Turns out, that most people are happy for me. (Especially my daughter who has been worried that I would have a heart attack.) they know the hours I put in and don't blame me for not wanting to do it anymore.

So, here I go again. But, I know I'm doing the right thing. This is not just a fast pace, it's bat out of hell speed. It will be a while before I can start officially, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

#148838 - 05/17/08 03:51 AM Re: Job Change Again [Re: Louisa]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I'm happy for you Louisa. You already sound healthier!

#148839 - 05/17/08 04:13 PM Re: Job Change Again [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
You have such a rational mind, Ms Lou....I applaud you once again for thinking things through and coming to the only conclusion that matters...and that is what YOU want. Bravo! Good luck on your New/Old job. Any job is what we make it, isn't it? Way to go girl!

#148840 - 05/17/08 08:44 PM Re: Job Change Again [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

Thank you Orchid and JJ. I worked for my old boss for 6 years and know we work well together. It is still a busy job. I will have several people to take care of, but I know what to expect. And, he goes home early most days and won't keep me there late unless there is something we are working on. As for any job being what we make it, I couldn't make it 40 hours on this one no matter how hard I tried and I just couldn't keep up. It just took me a while to wonder why I wanted to keep trying when I should be slowing down. Every time I'm at a meeting and they talk about "goals" I sit there thinking, "retirement is my goal." "Finishing "Sweet Violets" is my goal." "Spending time with Katie is my goal." What looks good on a resume isn't the most important thing in my life.

#148841 - 05/17/08 08:52 PM Re: Job Change Again [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chatty took the words right out of my fingertips. I applaud you too. You are so wise for thinking about yourself and your family. You have a precious little grand-daughter that you will be albe to spend more time with. Life's too short. And I love you list of reasons. They are all right on. Who cares what others think? You go girl. Now they better hurry up and find the person you need to train. Summer's coming and you'll want more time with your family. I know you too well!

#148842 - 05/17/08 11:11 PM Re: Job Change Again
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Hummm, and whatever did I say? I think you may have meant JJ's words Dotsie dear, as I didn't post anything here ahh, but I'll be happy to take credit for any wise words posted...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#148843 - 05/19/08 09:30 AM Re: Job Change Again [Re: chatty lady]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Louisa, good for you!! A job that depletes you entirely is just not worth it. Glad you jumped at the opportunity to go back! It sounds like it was the perfect decision for you and I hope it gives you the extra time you need for other passions, like writing.

#148845 - 05/20/08 02:07 AM Re: Job Change Again [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Louisa, i've taken your wise words to heed!

"1. It's no one else's business. 2. It's not about them.
3. It's what I want. and 4. I don't care what they think. This is about me."

Wonderful advice!

Congratulations for taking the time for yourself.

#148846 - 05/20/08 09:39 AM Re: Job Change Again [Re: ]
Louisa Offline

This morning I had to get up at quarter to five. Have to be in for a 7:30 meeting. Hate it! I will be there until at least 5. I don't want to be doing these hours. But I start interviewing candidates to replace me today. Yeah.

#148847 - 05/20/08 10:33 AM Re: Job Change Again [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Louisa, just want to say good for you! Quality of life is better than money, and you can get a good quality with little money. I say, I rather go out to eat less, buy less clothing, and even travel less;...but have more time just for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved