The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 133 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68332 - 11/11/05 05:32 PM Loss of pet
cobeemom Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
We added a second foxhound to our home two years ago because our first hound, Polly, was a high energy, attention loving wonderful dog. Since hounds are pack dogs, we adopted a relocated foxhound who really was a wonderful pet and companion for Polly. Willoughby recently became very ill and, sadly, we had to put her to sleep. Now Polly is back to her high energy, attention seeking behaviors. She's a great dog but is wearning us out. We recently moved to a condo so adopting another dog is not in the plan. Any ideas?

#68333 - 11/11/05 06:42 PM Re: Loss of pet
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Cobeemom, welcome to the site! I'm very sorry for the loss of your beloved Willoughby.

I also have a high energy dog, a Weimaraner, and they are bred to run in the field all day hunting. She is rather calm, but it my be because I take her to the dog park just about every evening. Do you have any dog parks in your area? She loves to go and every evening, she knows when it's time.

Daisygirl

#68334 - 11/11/05 07:24 PM Re: Loss of pet
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I recently lost an adopted dog. Painful. I take my other dog for walks which seems to make her happy.

#68335 - 11/12/05 02:05 AM Re: Loss of pet
cobeemom Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Daisygirl:
Cobeemom, welcome to the site! I'm very sorry for the loss of your beloved Willoughby.

I also have a high energy dog, a Weimaraner, and they are bred to run in the field all day hunting. She is rather calm, but it my be because I take her to the dog park just about every evening. Do you have any dog parks in your area? She loves to go and every evening, she knows when it's time.

Daisygirl

#68336 - 11/12/05 02:07 AM Re: Loss of pet
cobeemom Offline

We live in a small town in NH so there is no dog park here but there is one ine the neighboring town. She loves to go--really wears her out but I can't get there as often as she needs it. Because she is a hound, if she gets loose, she takes off--nose to the ground and runs for miles. I use an electronic collar and have trained her with use of a tone sound. She's a great dog but cerainly a hand full!

#68337 - 11/12/05 05:08 AM Re: Loss of pet
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Thats just the way it is and unless she is walked a couple times a day she will remain high energy. Some dogs just are. Thats why I tell all the folks coming to the SPCA to adopt a pet to make sure their surrondings are conducive to the behavior of this particular pet. Get use tio it cobeemom because she isn't going to change any time soon...She sounds like a real sweetheart.

#68338 - 11/12/05 06:36 AM Re: Loss of pet
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
How about getting another dog and they can wear each other out. It's kind of the same with children. When you have just one, you have to be their buddy on vacation and for play at home, but when they have a sibling, they have someone else to play - and fight- with.

#68339 - 11/12/05 05:31 PM Re: Loss of pet
cobeemom Offline

That is the reason we got Willoughby, the second hound. But moving to a condo, another dog Polly's size (60 lbs.) doesn't make sense. A smaller dog wouldn't be able to handle the playfulness. I think we are going to start taking her with us. She is generally well behaved (unless she sees another do) and loves to ride in the car. With cold weather in NH it's hard to put her outside for too long. Thanks for the thought--we loved having two animals and it is tempting.

#68340 - 11/13/05 02:24 AM Re: Loss of pet
whatnow Offline

How about getting your dog a cat? Especially a kitten, since kitten's are pretty much manic 24/7.

I'm so sorry to hear about Willoughby. It's so hard when they go.

[ November 12, 2005, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: whatnow ]

#68341 - 11/13/05 05:37 AM Re: Loss of pet
KathleenGageSpeaker Offline

Loc: Pleasant Hill, OR
So sorry to hear about your loss. I have been through that several times. Mostly due to old age.

With one dog, we got him a Ferret. Did the trick.

Kathleen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved