The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 158 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132623 - 11/23/07 02:40 PM Kiva - Awesome Premise
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
www.kiva.org

If anyone watched Oprah yesterday (it was a rerun, so maybe some of you already knew about this), you heard Oprah and Bill Clinton talk about this Kiva site.

From the website: "Kiva.org is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website. By enabling people to connect with and make personal loans to low-income entrepreneurs in the developing world, Kiva.org is revolutionizing the fight against global poverty. You can make a direct loan of as little as $25 to an entrepreneur to purchase business-related items such as sewing machines or livestock. This can dramatically improve the life of an entrepreneur and his/her family, empowering them to earn their way out of poverty."

What appeals to me is that it allows someone like me who can't get out to do great things to still help make a difference in someone else's life.

I spent about an hour last night and again this morning looking it over and finally chose to help a woman in Bolivia and a man in Cambodia. It's so easy, and exciting - and like Oprah and Clinton said yesterday, somewhat addictive too - and in this case, that's a good thing.

(Maya Angelou)

#132624 - 11/23/07 02:48 PM Re: Kiva - Awesome Premise [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

What was really awesome was that last night in the hour or two that I was browsing through the list of people in need, the loan requests were being filled faster than the website could handle - the organizers had to work fast and hard to keep loading in new loan requests to meet the demand for more! That was so exciting to watch - honestly, I couldn't tear myself away, because it looked like a miracle-in-motion. In the time it took me to browse through five pages and pick one, almost every request was already filled!

(Maya Angelou)

#132625 - 11/23/07 03:10 PM Re: Kiva - Awesome Premise [Re: Eagle Heart]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
What a wonderful idea. I shall take sometime to visit there myself this afternoon. Thanks for the heads up, Eagle.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#132626 - 11/23/07 08:45 PM Re: Kiva - Awesome Premise [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Wow what a terrific idea! Thanks for posting this Eagle. It’s especially interesting for us ladies abroad, since we don’t get American TV.
I’m checking out the site right now! When I donate, I only donate to organization that help those who help themselves. This looks like that kind of place.
Hannelore

#132627 - 11/23/07 11:04 PM Re: Kiva - Awesome Premise [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Now if only we could do this within our own country or North America as a whole. People struggle to rebuild their lives everyday. There are a lot of struggling entrepreneurs in good business who cannot afford or get the credit with huge interest rates to start over and make better. Maybe there will be (or I can, for that matter) create a website for such.

#132628 - 11/23/07 11:09 PM Re: Kiva - Awesome Premise [Re: ladyjane]
Eagle Heart Offline

That's a great idea, LadyJane! I was thinking about that while browsing through the list of requests last night. There must be so many people in North America who need that break too. All it takes is someone to dream it and then make it real. Maybe you could contact the Kiva people and see what they would suggest by way of getting started - I'm sure it could be done!

(Maya Angelou)

#132629 - 11/23/07 11:19 PM Re: Kiva - Awesome Premise [Re: Eagle Heart]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Thanks for the encouragement, Eagleheart (have I told you lately how lovely you are?) I feel this because I AM one of those strugglers...you wouldn't believe how much! I might be the first one asking! How wonderful it would be to see others benefit....others that are being true to their hearts in what they're doing to make life better...rebuild or whatever their case may be. North America is full of those hearty souls who just need some real help and are honest people. What a great place to start. Guess I'll have to contact Kiva! Thanks so much for the info!

#132630 - 12/18/07 03:48 AM Re: Kiva - Awesome Premise [Re: ladyjane]
Lavinia Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
It is an awesome idea. I had the link to it on my blog for a while. I had just stumbled upon it months ago. What could be better than helping people who just need a hand up so that they can help themselves. It's really incredible.

My blog is called, "Write Now." You can find it here; http://karenlalaniz.blogspot.com

#132631 - 12/18/07 09:23 AM Re: Kiva - Awesome Premise [Re: Lavinia]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
What an interesting idea...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#132632 - 01/25/08 01:50 AM Re: Kiva - Awesome Premise [Re: Eagle Heart]
ConnieGreen Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, California
There will be a free teleseminar about Kiva tomorrow morning. Alex Mandossian is discussing how to use telefundraising for project such as this one.

Connie Ragen Green
web page

www.EbookWritingandMarketingSecrets.com
Free Weekly Teleseminars On Writing and Technology

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved