The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 76 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#175154 - 02/19/09 04:37 PM Purchasing products from smokers
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Can you tell if a product you purchase is from a smoker? I purchased some very pretty cards from a fellow vendor who smokes. When I opened the box, it WREAKED of smoke and made me sneeze!

Should I tell her that this could hinder sales? Should I not tell her and not buy anymore?

This has happened before, years ago with someone else,and I think it's just very rude when people just don't recognize they could be hurting others.

What would you do??

Edited by Di (02/19/09 04:38 PM)

#175159 - 02/19/09 05:27 PM Re: Purchasing products from smokers [Re: Di]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I would probably tell her, only because I would want to know if it were me. But I wouldn't mention "rude when people don't recognize they could be hurting others".

I think I would just tell her it had the smoke smell and that you'd love to buy more, but just can't see sending out cards with that odor.

#175161 - 02/19/09 05:30 PM Re: Purchasing products from smokers [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Di Offline

Ah, ok. I know that smokers that don't smell it......so I just may say, first "Do you get a lot of repeat customers"? If so, then may be I'll say nothing. If not, maybe I can give her a "guess" as to why! smirk

#175163 - 02/19/09 06:00 PM Re: Purchasing products from smokers [Re: Di]
Ellemm Offline

I doubt seriously that smokers are trying to be rude; a lot of them truly don't realize how much the items in their surroundings have picked up the smell. Besides, everyone is not a nonsmoker anyway. Why play guessing games? I'd suggest what DD said: just tell her that the stuff had the smoke odor and she may not have realized it.

I don't care for the smoke smell, but items that are overly perfumed bother me as well. I'd just tell her. If she gets offended or doesn't care, at least you spoke up.

#175164 - 02/19/09 06:07 PM Re: Purchasing products from smokers [Re: Ellemm]
Di Offline

OH, I realize they are not "trying" to be rude, because like any addiction, there is a "veil", but it just does not make good business sense to me when they do not consider that it just "might" be offensive.

#175178 - 02/19/09 07:51 PM Re: Purchasing products from smokers [Re: ]
Ellemm Offline

Well, sure, but business owners do all sorts of things that make some customers happy and turn off others. And it could be anything: the music that plays in the store or when you are hold, the ways people can pay on a website (or music on a website, which will send me away forever), insisting on trying to upsell when it should be obvious that the customer knows exactly what she wants, and so on.

Maybe I'm just naive, but I'd guess that there are very few smokers who just don't care if their merchandise literally stinks. I think they really aren't aware that it even *has* a smell, so don't think it's a problem that needs fixing. I have heard so many ex-smokers say they never knew how much everything around them smelled until they quit and their sense of smell returned to normal.

Maybe sellers should have a checklist of practices that might tick people off, but nonsmokers might discover that they can do also do things that others interpret as rude or obnoxious -- and I'm pretty sure they aren't trying to be rude or thoughtless either.

#175201 - 02/19/09 11:32 PM Re: Purchasing products from smokers [Re: Ellemm]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
maybe not rude so much as clueless.

All porous products will pick up odor -- paper, yarn, cloth. If someone smokes, there's absolutely no way of avoiding that odor in items made at home. If I know that person smokes, I won't buy porous items from them.

Dianne, I'd just tell her outright that her product reeks of smoke.

Poet and essayist

#175202 - 02/19/09 11:36 PM Re: Purchasing products from smokers [Re: meredithbead]
Di Offline

Yes, Meredith. I agree. It's absorbent alright! One time I got soap (in a swap years ago) from a smoker! Icky, phew, phew. Threw that one out!! wink

#175309 - 02/21/09 12:25 AM Re: Purchasing products from smokers [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I don't allow smoking in my home, not ever! I hate the smell and since I crochet items I later sell, I don't want any odor on any of my merchandise...

I bought a vest from a woman once, made all by hand with woven leather strips, and it reaked of cigarettes when it arrived. I paid $175.00 for it and sent it back immediately. She was insulted that I said it stunk and gave me a hard time until she asked someone there with her and they verified that it did smell of her Marlboro's. So I guess if you're a smoker you don't know how bad you or the things around you can smell.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#175313 - 02/21/09 01:11 AM Re: Purchasing products from smokers [Re: chatty lady]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Just tell her..kindly..without judgement or morals..but tell her. I am a smoker..trying to stop now..and it wouldn´t hurt me, if it was said without the ugh you are no good attitude. Because things do smell of smoke..if you smoke. I don´t allow smoking in my home either..but I am a smoker (was a smoker) and a non smoker can tell and react, if they are allergic or anything like that.

And yes, I have been doing something for so long..and known that it´s dangerous for me..totally silly..stupid. But aren´t we all in some way??? blush

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved