The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 190 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#206438 - 08/04/10 10:25 PM Rudeness!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have several acquaintences that like to call me and tell me about their whole day/weekend. Usually it's after dinner when I have finally sat down to watch my FEW favorite TV shows. Now these are shows I wait for and look forward to every week. Then the phone rings, I answer and find out who it is I always ask if there is something wrong or if they need something? They say, nope just want to shot the breeze. I listen a minute then say I am matching 'MY FAVORITE' TV show, can I call you back in half an hour or so? They then say, no because I will be getting ready for bed. In other words I will bother you but don't want to be bothered by you later. Am I being petty do you think? Are they being rude? They have nothing to say as they call every other night. Now I say, oh my other line is ringing, it might be important. Then before they can say a word I hang up and leave the phone off the hook until my show is finished. Actually for some time now before sitting down to watch TV, I turn the ringers off on all the phones so I don't know if anyone is calling me or not. Am I bad or allowed some privacy?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#206458 - 08/04/10 11:13 PM Re: Rudeness! [Re: chatty lady]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I'm the same way, Chatty. We sit here all day and the phone never rings...until our favourite evening show comes on...the worst is when it rings about 10 minutes before the show ends, so we miss the ending.

Most of our phone calls are for hubby, so it doesn't really affect me much. There are only two people who ever call me, and I'll always take their calls, no matter when it is or what else is going on.

I think the worst one for me was a couple of years ago. I had met a woman in the hardware store...both of us were wandering around waiting for our husbands to finish their errands there. We started talking and seemed to click right away. Exchanged phone numbers. Then that evening she called me, started talking and talked for 2 hours straight without ever leaving a moment for me to speak or respond. Finally, hubby had to go to bed, and I told her I had to go...but she kept talking and talking and talking. I repeated 3 times that I had to get off the phone and she still didn't stop talking, so finally I had to hang up on her.

I have a fairly severe phone phobia...I wonder if that experience had anything to do with making me still cringe anytime I have to answer the phone.

(Maya Angelou)

#206487 - 08/05/10 11:57 AM Re: Rudeness! [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Caller ID was one of the best inventions!

I don't think it's rude to not answer the phone if you know you don't have the time needed to talk with someone at the moment. Think of it as being considerate so you can give them the time when you have it. How's that for putting a positive spin on the topic?

There are certain people I will always answer, like my dad. In his case, it could be an emergency. I also answer if it's ROss or any of our kids.

#206491 - 08/05/10 12:51 PM Re: Rudeness! [Re: Dotsie]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I agree about caller id - great invention that I have embraced fully. I answer a phone if and when I want to talk. If they don't have caller id, I usually will not answer. If it is important the person will leave a message.

I used to have a horrible case of phone phobia, Eagle. The last few years I have been better, but I still have a jump now and then when it rings.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#206495 - 08/05/10 01:18 PM Re: Rudeness! [Re: Anno]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Anno, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!!

Caller ID is indeed a wonderful thing! Neither hubby or I will answer unknown or numbers that appear to be telemarketers during meals or late in the evening. I agree, that it can be helpful to not answer if we can't give the caller our full attention for whatever reason. I like that it gives me time to prepare for the caller...sometimes I need that forewarning to bolster my courage or stamina depending on who it is.

The one person in the world that I most loved phone calls from was Gary. It didn't matter when he called, it was always a joy and delight to chat with him. Nothing else in the world mattered when he was either here or on the phone. I really miss his phone calls. My favourite was when we'd call each other during the commercials of various tv shows, to talk about what was happening on the show, eg, Survivor or Amazing Race. That was always fun.

(Maya Angelou)

#206522 - 08/05/10 10:54 PM Re: Rudeness! [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well good, if you three lovely, always kind ladies do it too, I feel I am in good company!!! Thanks...off to my TV shows.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#206814 - 08/14/10 02:00 AM Re: Rudeness! [Re: chatty lady]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I won't answer the phone after 9:00 PM. When Lost was as on I had been known to send out annoucements ahead of time that I'd not be available.

#206860 - 08/15/10 01:11 PM Re: Rudeness! [Re: ]
Fiona Offline

I have phone phobia too! It's better than it was but wow did I used to feel guilty about it. We dont have caller ID so I let the answering machine get our calls. Those who know I dont like the phone know I will pick up. That includes my kids, some of my friends and one neighbor.

As for night calls, it annoys me when people call after 9 and we get alot of those, mostly for hubby. I've had people call at 6:30 in the morning.

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one with phone phobia. I was beginning to think I really had a problem. Best part is I got over the guilt. Now I feel it's my right to not answer the phone if I dont want to.

#206862 - 08/15/10 03:13 PM Re: Rudeness! [Re: Fiona]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
We don't have caller ID on our landline, but do on our cell phones. We are on the Do Not Call list so don't get many calls on the landline. Our families and friends call on the cell, and I generally give people my cell number, that way I can not answer if I don't recognize the number. Usually on the landline we let the answering machine get it then call the person back. I look at it as when we are home, we can choose who we want to talk to.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved