The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 199 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#160741 - 09/23/08 11:10 PM Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak
sheilak Offline

I finished crocheting 3 pretty crocheted scarves this past week.
I used some of that new yarn that is made from Bamboo.
It is so soft and silky,
I used a size F crochet hook.
They worked up really fast and pretty, Sheilak

#160760 - 09/24/08 01:17 AM Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak [Re: sheilak]
Mountain Ash Offline

I see Bamboo used also for socks.
This yarn please tell more and do you have pictures.
do you have a patten.
I like easy quick things to create for the sales table at church..

#160772 - 09/24/08 01:58 AM Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak [Re: Mountain Ash]
underwearmaven Offline

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Ah, the Underwear Maven can tell all about the regenerated cellulose. Yes, once only known as the step child RAYON which is regenerated cellulose from wood pulp, now many more cellulose fibers like Bamboo, Corn and Soy. And Modal and others have made regenerated wood pulp soooo soft. Cotton of course is the big but old stand by cellulose fiber. Stripping it by mercerization can also give you a very smooth yarn- but it does make it a bit weaker... OK, so more than you wanted to know!
smile Lea

#160948 - 09/25/08 02:59 PM Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak [Re: underwearmaven]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Sheilak congrats for finishing 3 christmas projects so early. They sound great. I'd also love to see a picture if you have one.

I've also looked at using the bamboo for items but was not sure how it would work up. I love the feel of it also.

Great info underwearmaven on the yarns. Sometimes it's good to know more than we thought we wanted to. Thanks.

I'm finishing an afghan made with homespun yarn for a cousin. It's her birthday gift - she's born on my twin sister's and mine birthday. I like the new homespun yarn also.
www.tidedancer.com

#160954 - 09/25/08 03:10 PM Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak [Re: Sandpiper]
Mountain Ash Offline

Good information..UnderWearMaven

My first job was as a lab assistant in the paper industry. There I understood the fibre process.Inded during shortage in war time paper was made from potato shaws...poor quality but with merchant seamen doing more important work ferrying food in great danger this country had to investigate alternatives..
So thanks for more info for my memory bank.
Mountain ash

#160988 - 09/25/08 07:45 PM Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak [Re: Mountain Ash]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sheilak, sent you a PM regarding your crocheted scarfs...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#161010 - 09/25/08 11:55 PM Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Christmas? I'm still sweating summer - but, alas, it is the end of September... where DID the year go?
thanks on the info concerning fibers - interesting!
I remember my mother-n-law talking about polished cotton... what exactly is that? I know, I could google, but it's so much easier just asking?

#161552 - 10/02/08 02:51 PM Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm no help with polished cotton. If Mom was still alive, I'd ask her. She knew all the fabrics.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved