The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217702 - 08/14/12 01:37 AM Can it be possi ble? Another shooting
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I just barely caught wind of this one.

It's at Texas A&M. Three dead, I heard.

Here's a link. Texas A&M Shooting
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217706 - 08/14/12 10:25 PM Re: Can it be possi ble? Another shooting [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
The only good thing about this is that the whole student body hadn't returned to campus yet. Why are there so many shootings?
It's like there's an epidemic or something. Everybody has problems; they're just different for each individual. But why be so cruel????

#217709 - 08/15/12 06:54 PM Re: Can it be possi ble? Another shooting [Re: jabber]
Ellemm Offline

I have decided to try and treat these shootings mentally the same way I do car accidents and train crashes: "Gosh, that's awful. I'm so sorry for the families," and then move on.

I'm not trying to be cold or callous, but have run out of energy on these dreadful incidents. We have plenty of access to guns; of course we cannot keep them out of the hands of the very few who lose it and decide to take a lot of people with them. Just as we cannot anticipate the drunks who drive and kill others, we cannot know in advance who will lose it and start shooting. You know, dozens of people die all across the US every day in more 'ordinary' shootings: gang activity, aggrieved workers and spouses, angry teenagers, etc. They don't make the papers much; we're use to it.

There's probably some connection between violent video games, violence in general, gun ownership, and mental processes. I'm not out of compassion; I'm just tired. You know, soon there will be yet another shooting like this.....

#217711 - 08/15/12 08:13 PM Re: Can it be possi ble? Another shooting [Re: Ellemm]
Boomer in Chief

Ellemm, that's probably a good way to think about it. Especially since the news media has just released information of another shooting earlier today.

This one happened at the Family Research Council in Washington, DC. No one was killed.

As far as I know, the shooter is in FBI custody and has not yet been charged. A law enforcement official said at one point in the scuffle, the shooter expressed views that differed from those of the Family Research Council.

The official also said the shooter was carrying a bag that had a Chick-Fil-A bag inside.

Apparently the Research Council is conservative, and has expressed similar views against same-sex marriage as Chick-Fil-A’s chief executive.

Authorities did not identify the shooter or the security guard. They also would not say what kind of gun the shooter used or whether the security guard was armed. They still are uncertain of a motive, they said.

Security guard shot in downtown DC.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217712 - 08/16/12 02:13 PM Re: Can it be possi ble? Another shooting [Re: Anne Holmes]
Ellemm Offline

Oh, thanks, Anne. I was afraid I sounded like a lunatic. But if I am a little numb and cynical they made me that way. We don't even try to get drunk drivers off the road -- at least not much. In other countries you'd lose your job, your license, and go to jail. Here, we like to talk big but are so married to the idea that your driving privileges are sacred that we often give people a tap on the wrist.

You know, we're not ever going to insist that people learn to drive competently before they're let loose on the road, drunk or sober. We're the same way with our guns: ownership is sacred and just about anyone can get one.

You know, there are plenty of folks who think we don't have enough freedom with our guns. They want all restrictions lifted, including the ones on fully automatic weapons and military-grade ammunition. Soldiers have to account for their weapons and their ammunition, but civilians don't.

I'm only going to live so many more years. I only have so much energy to devote to incidents that don't really affect me. Of course I think these shooting incidents are terrible, but they're part of life here.

Edited by Ellemm (08/17/12 02:40 PM)

#217714 - 08/16/12 03:04 PM Re: Can it be possi ble? Another shooting [Re: Ellemm]
Boomer in Chief

You make good points, Ellemm. I'll not address the guns issue here, I don't have much knowledge of what it takes to get a gun.

But I will talk about your comment on driving. I agree that we just churn out licenses to our 16 year olds without making sure they really can drive.

I recall realizing this when my daughter was taking driver's ed in school. My husband and I often drove with her during the learning process. When she completed the school class, she took the road test and was granted a license.

To me, it almost appeared to be a "rubber stamp" process: As long as you had the piece of paper from your school saying you had taken drivers ed, the process to take the road test and get a license seemed to me to be pretty automated.

My assessment was that my daughter was NOT yet ready to be out on the road driving. But she had the piece of paper from the state that said she was...

You can imagine her surprise when I announced to her that she MAY have passed the state's test, but she had not yet passed mine. I can't remember how much longer I made her drive with a parent in the car, but it was several months.

Did the same thing with our son.

Even so, both of them managed to bend a few fenders during high school. I guess that is why car insurance is so much more expensive if you have young drivers in the family.

But these days, both kids have good driving records, and are very competent drivers. I'm glad I made my own rules.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217731 - 08/19/12 05:42 PM Re: Can it be possi ble? Another shooting [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Speaking of guns, the mayor of our city just got a huge amount of guns off the streets, by initiating a gun buy-back program.
Citizens' were turning in truck loads of guns, all sizes, all types.

#217732 - 08/20/12 04:41 AM Re: Can it be possi ble? Another shooting [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

I've heard of those events. It's always amazing to me how many guns they round up this way. Hope this means your community is going to feel a little bit safer for awhile.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217733 - 08/20/12 01:44 PM Re: Can it be possi ble? Another shooting [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

At least it's a step in the right direction. Less guns on the streets has to translate into less folks' being shot!!!

#217747 - 08/24/12 08:38 PM Re: Can it be possi ble? Another shooting [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

This time the shooter was in New York City. Near the empire State Building -- a disgruntled employee.

I'm guessing many of us caught this on the TV with our morning news... If not, here's a good link to information from the Wall Street Journal.

I recall making the decision to let an employee go a number of years ago when we had a large staff. I actually hesitated because the person had a temper, and I wondered which action would cause the least number of repercussions: let the person go or keep them on...

Once we did the termination, all the remaining employees were so thankful. I'd had no idea he was stressing everyone that much. Thanks be to God he never came back with a gun...

But I think it is very telling of our society that I actually found myself worrying about this.

Anyone else have scary experiences with co-workers?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved