The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#191753 - 10/15/09 03:33 AM Shutting down: suggestion
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I realize the reasons for shutting down postings in Polite Political Ponderings section in BWMS forums.

As a suggestion, for now maybe just a timeout about Obama for awhile? Has it ever occurred to Americans here, that some non-American participants here get tired of anything political gets driven often by comments about Obama or just U.S. politics?

It actually annoys some Canadians that Canadians read abit more about U.S. politics/events than Americans would even read about politics occurring in Canada..a very strong trade partner with the U.S. There are way too many stories amongst Canadians how little Americans seem to know the basic federal politics, history or geographic regions of Canada.

nevertheless I have learned alot at the grassroots level how U.S. health care is truly experienced by each of you as a patient...or at least an ailing patient if you cannot afford to pay private insurance.

I'm suggesting the time-out on Obama just for a few weeks or months? I posted a question on what media sources people regularil read. That would be interesting to read.

I would hate to see this forum afraid of tackling very difficult, controversial topics. We are grown women. Do we need the presence of men to discuss controversial topics or to debate?

And if the same old arguments come up..well there is the choice to ignore the thread. it is useful to have such threads..as evidence how people think and express themselves on certain subjects. Think of how this will be perceived...10 years from now. cool A tiny second in history.

But it's ok...there are other women-centred places to go on the Internet. And I go there..

#191918 - 10/16/09 07:31 PM Re: Shutting down: suggestion [Re: ]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
They say there are two subjects people should not discuss...politics and religion.

#191925 - 10/16/09 08:13 PM Re: Shutting down: suggestion [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
In the post above under ANNOUNCEMENTS, I suggested dropping the subject of Politics all together because if you listen and read and pay attention to whats going on in America today, and you care, there is NO way to not get flustered and speak out. Some haven't gotten to the point of really paying attention to whats happening so still believe we are okay?????? If we as adults cannot speak our minds about any subject then why have that subject on the forum at all??? Just my two cents.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#191966 - 10/17/09 01:25 PM Re: Shutting down: suggestion [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Dee,
My adoptive grandmother always warned me against discussing politics or religion. Of course, at times I haven't heeded her wisdom. But she gave great advice.

#192020 - 10/18/09 08:27 AM Re: Shutting down: suggestion [Re: Dee]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: Dee
They say there are two subjects people should not discuss...politics and religion.

My parents and their guests always discussed both and on occasions, one or the other. Some of their guests held opposing political views or came from the other side of the fence to my parents' faith but, they managed to discuss politics and religion without fray.

I have no qualms about discussing faith because I like to know and appreciate why people believe what they believe. I also like to discuss my faith because there is so much misinformation about it. I once quoted before that some hate it for what they think it to be and not for what it is.

I also like to discuss politics because, if I were to exercise a fair amount of social justice which emanates from my faith, then I'd like to be informed.

#192021 - 10/18/09 08:46 AM Re: Shutting down: suggestion [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

Lola
your parents guests would be open like you are to exploring topics.They would respect the same ethos that drove them and know that discourse is good..Capital letters here is shouting..did anyone shout during your discussions.
In my family two Aunts had very different husbands.One rich..farmer they had plenty and more.The other was passionate about left wing(really red) politics..During any family gathering we all got on despite diversity. Due to mutual respect..shared kinship and the wish to be in the one tribe.
After WW2 farmers had great help from Government miners too had big wages but different values...mixed with differnt groups.In my Grandparents house I learned to respect people first.The faith of enduring Belief as a Christian.Family.I got an education and often had srong passion but never shouted..I acted.Worked in my sphere.as did my extended family.

I rise to any debate in my engaging with my world..I draw on knowledge seek more facts...challenge what I see as unfair and believe me that rises up again and again but my respect for others lets me see that they are also a product of their enviornment and stage in evolving as a whole person.
The only time I have felt very unhappy on the boards here was when I saw the way the political discussions were going..and said so.I do add my opinions about UK health issues.

#192022 - 10/18/09 09:52 AM Re: Shutting down: suggestion [Re: Mountain Ash]
Lola Offline

Originally Posted By: Mountain Ash
Capital letters here is shouting..did anyone shout during your discussions.

In my discussions here, MA? None that I can recall. But, it does not mean that there may never have been any though, in cases where spanners are thrown in the works in the course of discussions. But, generally, I think caps are not directed to shout at individuals here but, employed as an emphasis to a thought, issue or a political platform. So, I tend not to take that as personal matter directed at me.

When I discuss aspects of theology, especially that of my faith, I am always bound to do so with a respect for it, as I do for what others believe. I will find what is syncretic to my faith and, in the spirit of ecumenism, happily accept the differences held by others. Do I expect the same? No. Simply because, as an Apologist, I go by: "that others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should". And, if I am afforded respect for what I hold dear then I would be appreciative of the Grace.

#192023 - 10/18/09 12:23 PM Re: Shutting down: suggestion [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

I asked about shouting in your home re..politics or religon.Not here on the board.
I believe that respect should be given to another also.

#192027 - 10/18/09 01:25 PM Re: Shutting down: suggestion [Re: Mountain Ash]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I agree. All should be respected. I listened as a kid to the older generation get into heated arguments. Dad only saw his
family once a year, they lived a whole day's drive away. But dad
his mother, and brother were always sure their opinion was the
correct opinion. Guess that's what made my mother's mother come
up with that saying. She had lots of cute sayings. I didn't mean
to imply I adopted her beliefs as my own. I happen to think venting is a good thing.

#192032 - 10/18/09 01:35 PM Re: Shutting down: suggestion [Re: jabber]
Lola Offline

No, MA. We never shout in my home about religion or politics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved