The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#190200 - 09/19/09 04:49 PM Philadelphia Library Saved
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
The Philadelphia Library, the one Benjamin Franklin opened, the oldest library in our country, was saved from closing Thursday by raising taxes.

All of our libraries are in danger. Mine will be safe thrugh next year. How is your local library doing?
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#190201 - 09/19/09 04:58 PM Re: Philadelphia Library Saved [Re: Saundra]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
There have been severe budget cuts, so people have been laid off and hours have been reduced.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#190212 - 09/19/09 10:31 PM Re: Philadelphia Library Saved [Re: Saundra]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By: Saundra
The Philadelphia Library, the one Benjamin Franklin opened, the oldest library in our country, was saved from closing Thursday by raising taxes.

All of our libraries are in danger. Mine will be safe thrugh next year. How is your local library doing?

I live a short distance from Philadelphia, where not only was the library system in danger of closing, but 3000 people, including 1000 police and firemen, were in danger of losing their jobs. Since the city already has one of the highest crime rates in the country and is ripe with corruption, I am glad Mayor Nutter was able to temporarily stop the city from facing an almost certain increase in gang activity and neighborhood violence.

I value libraries very very much, and I hope city leaders are able to cut whatever they need to, in order to keep its citizens safe, and with access to literacy materials.

I live in an area with excellent well-managed library services. I can only pray that my taxes, which here in NJ are much much higher than in Philadelphia, will support the continued patronage of libraries by its citizens. (It's so unfortunate that in parts of Philly, libraries are used for graffiti and activities unrelated to books, which makes it bad for those who DO want to visit to exchange reading and audio/visual materials.)

#190994 - 10/02/09 08:30 PM Re: Philadelphia Library Saved [Re: Josie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I missed out on this piece of news. Glad to hear that the library was saved...for now. It is never over. Never, folks.

Part of the problem about public libraries, is how they are being perceived by the younger generation /others besotted with the Internet.

Library management now must exercise more guerilla tactics to market what a library offers that a citizen cannot get from their home computer. As you may have noticed over the years, particularily in big city libraries, the library tries to position itself as a key community meeting node for knowledge-sharing and community change..that's why there are the resume writing workshops, activist speakers (within our library system it is allowed), etc.

#191038 - 10/04/09 05:21 PM Re: Philadelphia Library Saved [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I think part of our local library is used for a Day Care Center.
I know some book clubs meet there and discuss the newest releases. Home PCs have certainly taken the spunk out of local
newspapers and libraries. That's for sure!

#191047 - 10/04/09 05:51 PM Re: Philadelphia Library Saved [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, our library has many opportunities (social and educational) for the young to the very old. It's a community gathering place for those who take advantage of it.

#191119 - 10/05/09 08:13 PM Re: Philadelphia Library Saved [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Right! A community gathering place. Exactly.

#191124 - 10/05/09 08:19 PM Re: Philadelphia Library Saved [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
But I don't think enough people take advantage of what they have to offer. I did when the kids were little, but no longer do so.

#191152 - 10/06/09 12:36 AM Re: Philadelphia Library Saved [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You would be amazed at ALL the events our Vegas libraries offer. It boggles the mind and they are all well attended. We have an abundance of beautiful, new, modern libraries all around town.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#191210 - 10/06/09 01:01 PM Re: Philadelphia Library Saved [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

I think our libraries are used extensively. We're surrounded by
suburbs and every library offers tons of activities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved