The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#182081 - 05/13/09 01:37 AM "In God We Trust"...shall we vote?
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
They want to remove this phrase from our currency. MSNBC is offering a vote.

Please do!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103521/

#182123 - 05/13/09 07:20 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: Di]
Ellemm Offline

Isn't this just a petition started by some citizens? There are lots of petitions making their way around. Wouldn't some Congressperson have to submit a bill in the usual fashion? Not likely to happen, I don't think.

After thinking about it for a bit, I don't think I really care either way, to be honest. If people were asking churches to remove their signs, I'd be protesting, but this is money, which 'works' whether people feel religious or not. I'll admit I never feel religious when I'm paying for something, so maybe I have missed something here.

#182125 - 05/13/09 07:30 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: Ellemm]
Madelaine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I'm with you Ellemm but i always loved that eyeball in the pyramid symbol on the bills- a much more interesting interpretation of God than the white guy with the bushy beard. On the other hand, I use so much plastic, I don't know when the last time I looked at a bill was!!!

#182146 - 05/14/09 01:23 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: ]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Di,
I voted. There's an indication that 88% of the votes are "NO!"
Good!

#182148 - 05/14/09 01:29 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I don't get it all --why invoke God for any religion on money/currency? It is fundamentally conflicting.

'Course even on our most redesign of Canadian currency, we still have the queen, Queen Elizabeth II. Can't avoid that for Canada, being a member of the British Commonwealth, more of a gracious bow to the past.

#182230 - 05/14/09 11:18 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: jabber]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By: jabber
Di,
I voted. There's an indication that 88% of the votes are "NO!"
Good!

Yessssss! I agree with those who founded this country, one nation under God, with freedom and justice for all.

#182257 - 05/15/09 01:31 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: orchid
'Course even on our most redesign of Canadian currency, we still have the queen, Queen Elizabeth II. Can't avoid that for Canada, being a member of the British Commonwealth, more of a gracious bow to the past.

Again...just my opinion and not trying to start WWIII here, but on my coins I would rather "bow" to God than a Queen. Just my two cents worth (pun intended)

#182261 - 05/15/09 01:47 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
There ya go! This country was founded on Godly principles!
They trusted in God back then: And I and some other citizens trust in God, now. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

#182269 - 05/15/09 02:52 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: jawjaw]
Ellemm Offline

Originally Posted By: jawjaw

Again...just my opinion and not trying to start WWIII here, but on my coins I would rather "bow" to God than a Queen. Just my two cents worth (pun intended)

But how are these even on a par with each other? Are we in the US bowing to money? (Some would say we do that far more than we should, but that's another thread.) No one worships the Queen of England; she simply represents a part of history that is relevent in other countries -- Canada included. She is a symbol of history -- a history, by the way, that has a lot to do with the world and in particular the US. This is no different, in my mind, than putting George Washington on our $1 bill: he's an important part of our history.

I mean, our money has Masonic symbols on it -- what do people think that pyramid and eye are? -- pretty pictures, and all sorts of stuff. Everyone's money does, largely designed to make the bills difficult to counterfeit. (That's one of the reasons our greenish money has been used for so long; apparently that color is very difficult to duplicate. But now, of course, we're using holograms and embedded symbols like other countries have for a long time).

It's MONEY: what does this really have to do with belief in God? Didn't Jesus say something about rendering to Caesar and all that? I'll tell you what makes me uncomfortable: the idea that symbols on money, which is used for secular commerce, represent some sort of religious belief. To me, that idea is close to being blasphemous and could be argued that it cheapens religious belief to some phrase you stick on a coin. It should mean more than that.

But that's just me being picky. I don't mind if the In God We Trust stays on the money; it's been there since Civil War times -- not since the founding of the country, but long enough. But I don't equate it with expressing any religious belief. I just bought a coffee this morning and did like everyone else: gave them some money. I don't equate what's in my bank account with my faith.

#182270 - 05/15/09 03:26 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: Ellemm]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
It's not that money equates GOD; it is that every day we seemed to be faced with someone wanting to take GOD and what GOD represents out of society; out of the public, and out of our lives. Prayer out of schools, In God We Trust off of coins...what's next? I prefer it stay on there. Just my opinion.

To each his own...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved