The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 160 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#177020 - 03/14/09 12:31 AM Feeding Hungry Americans.
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Ideas?
I recently read about an artists work that involved her giving cameras to poor women with children that have a hard time feeding their children and asking them to record what it is like "being poor."

I was stunned with the outcome. Some of the women starve and feed their children. Some of them feed their children in unimaginable ways and a lot of them can only afford 1 dollar burgers and junk food such as that.

What do you think? There are starving children in this country and they are not included in the charities that we give money to feed starving people or children.

Why do we not feed our own starving people?

How might we help to feed a family of children whose mother lost her job? Unemployment is not a lot of money and it will only cover rent, if that... Food stamps are not enough money and if you have unemployment often you make too much to qualify for food stamps.

Kitchens are good but one meal a day or a week will not make for good health, we need a plan.

Why do the starving in America go without notice do you feel? What happens overseas with starving people, does anyone know?

What if any plans does Obama have?

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#177027 - 03/14/09 02:07 AM Re: Feeding Hungry Americans. [Re: dancer9]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Giving unconditionally and sometimes without recognition. If you know a family that is struggling one can purchase non-perishable groceries (i.e., canned/boxed goods, flour, cereals, fruit, cleaning items, formula, diapers, soap, pet food, etc.). Place the grocers in a box with an optional note on their front door. One need not sign the note, perhaps a scripture or an envelope with coupons. This way the recipient does not need to be embarrassed by the donation. Thus, the family can use the food stamps for dairy and other items.

#177037 - 03/14/09 07:37 AM Re: Feeding Hungry Americans. [Re: dancer9]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: dancer9
What happens overseas with starving people, does anyone know? What if any plans does Obama have

They die, Dancer. Unless help arrives by way of food aid or their circumstances are alleviated by NGOs. Three days after his inauguration, Obama signed $244million towards UNFPA which does not go towards assistance for sustainable development of the sort Africa and other underdeveloped countries' need. That money could have gone towards more pressing issues in the States, much in the way of the concerns you raise now.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/oxfam_in_action/issues/food_crisis/map.html

Edited by Lola (03/14/09 07:54 AM)

#177041 - 03/14/09 12:31 PM Re: Feeding Hungry Americans. [Re: Lola]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
good link lola and strange how we don't generallie include our owen countrie in the starving or cold or no electric camps when of course thrs some members within it. recent trip to london had me in raptures, food in NI is 1/3 generallie more expensive than mainland car insuranse 2/3 more expensive so transport for jobs something people can hardlie do anymore.

An ormou loaf of bread can cost us £1.30-50.....my dad can or could buy it for 9p the breads baked around the corner and is local to belfast. Asda has moved in to ni last few years but their out of the way, of course tescos been heer almost since peace process and made a diffrense but its still an expensive place to live, and we tend to just think of big cities like london etc. Londons gone dowen in price to live due to price cuts heared it fell from 3 to 26th most expensive place to live in the world.

electrics still too expensive as is home heating oil, once every 3 mounths i am out £600+ pounds (for the both)and i hardlie have my heating on.

thanks for link lola

#177042 - 03/14/09 12:31 PM Re: Feeding Hungry Americans. [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

mustang good idea about the annonimise donasions good way to think and act smile

#177043 - 03/14/09 12:33 PM Re: Feeding Hungry Americans. [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

Dancer i know a few women that without heat or hot water for long periods of time over the winter and it started last winter, its onlie worsend now.
also families who onlie have breackfast cerial to feed themselfs and kids, past and potatoe bake, healthie eatings gone out window totalie.

sad times eh!

#177079 - 03/14/09 06:59 PM Re: Feeding Hungry Americans. [Re: celtic_flame]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Mustang gal, I love your style. I am deeply sickened by people I know with oodles of money who do not help their own country. I give away a lot, thus the trustee, because I can't stand to see the hunger.
Also, as a way of torture, I was starved as a child by my parents, two rich kids. I ate paper.
I know what it feels like to be a hungry kid. I don't often add my personal experiences but this topic brings some to the table.

I have planned to hook up and do the same project in my own city and yesterday I went looking for the hungry poor. I found some unbelieavable living conditions. I was shocked for I never really was poor or even close, I grew up on an ten acre estate while starving. I never saw anything like the "homes," I found in my search. I talked to a few people. I had to dress way down and it was really shocking to me but also enlightening.

I want to feed this countries starving children. The older I get, the more committed I am to this cause.

The way I can help is to get those I know with stupid money to give over to the poor and forget about whether or not they have a tax write off for it or whom they can affect politically by downing their money.

I will begin this ASAP.

Celtic, I had an idea that it could get bad in the UK too.

Do you know circumstances of some people who are without food, like how they live, how they cope, etc...?

I would be very interested in this if you do. Are you able to comfortably take care of your child as a single mother? I'm thrilled if you do and you deserve such praise for doing so.

I do not believe in this countries welfare system and the cuts done to it in the past. The talks about making women have their tubes tied if they have X amount of kids and can't feed them are barbaric to me.

Some women are mothers and do not have the fight needed in the real world to over come some of the problems you face when entering the workforce, even IF they could get day care.

Should we STARVE them for it? No. We all cannot bite the bullet and fight our way out of poverty. We all are not made of the same stuff.

My family made me prove myself in my 20's and did not help me financially at all. I had my hard times and it took all I had to work my way out of it. I would not wish that on anyone and I didn't learn a damned thing from it except to help my sons until they had the education to support themselves. This worked, they both took help only as long as they needed it and moved on into careers they could support themselves with.

Support, I believe we must support the hungry, single mother and her children as much as people may not agree with me.

I'm willing to hear other arguements, of course, but I doubt I'd change my mind.

Mustang gal, you have a precious heart.

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved