The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 70 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#52939 - 01/21/04 11:36 AM odd couplings
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Strange restaurant fusions have been a California staple almost forever. You know: "Chinese-Mexican health food"; or "Donuts Baked Fresh every morning! & Korean Barbeque." Now the trend is spreading into other retail arenas. One shop just opened in a local mini-mall:

"Dry Cleaning
Alterations
Health Food"

Any weird combos in your neighborhood?

#52940 - 01/21/04 04:38 PM Re: odd couplings
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
The one that comes to mind for me is the place in town that sells scooters/mopeds, jewelry, clothing, and if I recall right, they even have a little tea bar set up. How's that for a mix? [Eek!]

It looks like a cycle shop though because they have all the scooter/mopeds sitting on the sidewalk.

The first, and only time I went in, I was shocked to see everything else they carried. Well, maybe I will go back though because they had some cute silver jewelry. [Razz]

#52941 - 01/21/04 07:45 PM Re: odd couplings
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
The local livestock market has a restaurant in it. Does that count? The one and only time we ever went (we're more careful of restaurant recommendations now <g>) we got "the" prime seat underneath the bug zapper. A dining experience never to be topped...sitting there eating our hamburgers, listening to the bug zapper going zzzzzzzzzzzch! every so often.

Oh! and they have a big glass window, maybe 5 feet long by 4 feet high (or vice versa, there was waaaaaaaay too much stimulation going on for my senses to retain everything) where diners could watch as the livestock was paraded through. Folks would auction on cattle, goats, sheep. It was a really freaky experience for us. As I recall, neither one of us finished eating.

There's probably a story there but my neurons won't fire in synch enough for me to work it out.

#52942 - 01/22/04 08:37 AM Re: odd couplings
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Everywhere around this one place I lived was something and Jerk Chicken. I have no idea why it was Chinese food and Jerk chicken, sushi and Jerk chicken. There was a video store that sold jerk chicken. Thing is, my roomie and I didn't really think of the area as heavily Jamaican or island-populated. We never could figure out the fascination with the jerk chicken.

#52943 - 01/22/04 04:49 AM Re: odd couplings
mrsmuzz Offline

Loc: Orange, Texas
There was an odd couple here last year, it lasted only about 6 months though. It was a laundromat/washateria with a sandwich/deli type restaurant. It was called Suds & Subs. I guess there was something about the smell of dirty socks that killed the appetite?

#52944 - 01/22/04 07:38 PM Re: odd couplings
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I know this is a littel different , but my friends and I referred to ourselves as,"Women of the 90's" because we bought our food and clothes at the same store...Sam's Club/ BJ's/PRice Club! [Big Grin]

Think about it. You can get ANYTHING there. I'm waiting for the to sell cars. The already service them. Why not?

I think some of these other small businesses probably figure they're paying for the rental space and all the overhead [Eek!] , why not try to sell anything they can. [Razz]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved