The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 214 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52852 - 11/18/03 08:16 AM grocery bill
oyster-ears Offline

I am wondering what is the average amount a family of 2,3,4 or even 5 spends each week at the grocery store. I try like the dickens to keep my bill for my family of 4 under $150.00 and cannot do it. I clip coupons, buy what is on sale and resist buying what I do not need. Granted I do not always shop perfectly, but on an average this is the way I shop. Any comments?

#52853 - 11/18/03 08:36 AM Re: grocery bill
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
get rid of the family...just joshn'...It sounds like you have covered all the basis. One thing you might try (if you haven't already) is shopping for some items at the Dollar Stores/Fred's type places. Course even there you have to watch because sometimes they will actually be higher than say...Wal-Mart.

You also might want to try making your own items like "salad dressings," "jellies", and even your own candles. Sometimes buying in bulk helps as long as it isn't something that will end up being wasted. One more thing then I'll hush. I read a while back about a group of women who got together once a month (I think?) and they baked in bulk. Then...they cut everything up into portions and trade with each other. Complete meals were planned out and by sharing...they saved money AND time! If you had friends who wanted to try something like this, I think it would be fun and worth someone's invested time, don't you think? Just a thought...all this is coming from a person who would rather be run over by a milk truck than cook...hehehehe

#52854 - 11/18/03 08:55 AM Re: grocery bill
garrie keyman Offline

Loc: Lititz, PA
I wouldn't go so far as jawjaw would, but I hate cookin' too (and if I'm gonna get run over by a truck I'd rather make it a Sara Lee truck most likely before I would a milk truck! [Roll Eyes] ).

But there's six in our household and I think we average about $150.00 on groceries a week. I'm not sure as I'm about as dextrous with a budget as I am with a frying pan. I guess I'd have to save a month's worth of receipts.

But the thing is -- I don't buy fancy but I don't cook from scratch either (which is cheaper than packaged foods).

I think jawjaw's suggestion to shop when you can at the dollar stores and grocery discount places is a good one -- I try to go about every other month to stock up on drygoods and such and if I went more often (but they're not as convenient as the grocey store a mile up the road) I'd save a heck of a lot more!

One place about 6 miles away is great -- I can fill an entire cart for 50 bucks -- no lie! -- the same amount would cost me anywhere from double that to triple that in the regular grocery store (destiny makes me choose between slothfulness and wealth -- hey nothin's cheap, not even laziness!).

The only caution in such places is watch the expiration dates on some things, but all in all, it's a great deal. Hope you have one near you.

#52855 - 11/17/03 11:02 PM Re: grocery bill
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
one grocery store to choose from - weekly bill $200 and up depending on what I need that week - supplement meat bill with moose/deer meat - family of 4 - one growing teenager that eats enough for two men........nearest Walmart, Superstore, bulk chain or any other grocery store an hour and a half away, occasionally get groceries there when we're in town.

Course, thats $200 Cdn, which is probably about $170 US right now so I guess I'm not doing that bad [Big Grin]

#52856 - 11/18/03 05:33 PM Re: grocery bill
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Oyster-ears is back. YAHOO. [Big Grin]

FYI ladies, for months she held the most replied- to post in the forums. It was about kids and television.

I tallied our Super Fresh bills for the last 2 weeks and came up with an average of (and I'm embarrassed)$190.00 per week. [Eek!] And there were no special occasions for those weeks either.

This is to feed our family of four. And believe it or not, it's has definitely come down since our oldest left for college.

Oh yeah, we have a dog too!

I will add that we feed more than just the four of us, especially on the weekends. We tend to have kids hanging out and they stick around for meals too. I don't mind at all. I love to feed people. It makes me happy for some odd reason.

During the week I don't feed their friend's meals because they go home for dinner on school nights, but we do tend to dole out the Gatorade, juice boxes, fruit snacks, chex mix, you name it, to all the kids skating in the driveway, or stopping by after school with my daughter. Her school is only a block away and the word must be out that you can get free snacks at the Bregel's.

My daughter has a habit of baking and giving it to her friends too.

See, I have all kinds of excuses for spending money. [Wink]

I don't even want to see next weeks bill because my son's coming home AND it's Thanksgiving. And when I asked him what he missed most about home, he said, "Good food and my bed". Thanks honey, I miss you too. Just kidding, but it's my fault because I've fed him good food all these years. I take it as a compliment. HA! [Big Grin]

This post is a great reminder for me because I keep saying I'm going to stop shopping at the Super Fresh because it's one of the more expensive food stores in town, but it's so darned convenient.

Come to think of it, this doesn't even include my runs to Sam's Club, but I haven't done one in a few weeks.

Yikes! [Eek!]

#52857 - 11/18/03 11:31 PM Re: grocery bill
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
okay, I've struggled with this all day. How the heck did you come up with the name OYSTER EARS? I just GOTTA know! [Eek!]

#52858 - 11/19/03 07:40 AM Re: grocery bill
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Heck, I used to spend $100 to $150 per week on just my teenaged son and me at the grocery store. And that's not counting what I had to buy on the road and such. You're doing pretty well to be holding down the costs for an entire family below $200 per week. Pat yourself on the back, Grrrls! It's not you, it's the freaking cost of living.

Once you've done all that you can with coupons, dollar stores, making from scratch, and so forth, the only other ways to economize are to simplify your life down to the bare bones and cut out any and all luxuries.

Example: I buy almost no canned pastas. Only for emergency food during hurricane season. I cook vast amounts of pasta and store it. You can do this with the sturdier pastas like rigatoni, elbows, penne, and so forth. You can make kid-sized portions of pasta and sauce ahead of time in dollar-store containers, and save a huge amount on those horribly expensive canned pastas and other instant foods. Mostly you are paying for the packaging, and to keep the kids bribed and happy. Food companies know this. They exploit us all massively.

You can economize by cutting out most of the meat in your diet. Don't hit me for saying this. Most of the world's people live on grains, root vegetables, and such. Potatoes, cabbage, carrots, and so forth are very filling and very nutritious. If you don't use a whole lot of fat in your cooking, you are not going to get fat from eating potatoes. If you cook up a stew or a casserole with minimal amounts of meat like ground turkey, sausage, meatballs, etc., and rely on the stew veggies for the bulk of the food, you are saving a bundle and eating healthier than if you make a big slab of meat the focus of the meal.

You may be sparing yourself colon cancer as well, because you are automatically lowering your fat and cholesterol intake when you cut the amount of meat in your diet. Cheese goes very well on such concoctions -- but go easy on the cheese, because it too can contain high amounts of cholesterol. And some cheeses are more expensive perpound than hamburger, or even more than some grades of steak! So buyer beware.

Use chicken or turkey more than beef, since it generally costs less than beef does. It also has less cholesterol. Use cheaper cuts of meat, tenderizing and seasoning well so that the taste and texture do not suffer.

Change your family's snacking habits. A bunch of fruit, if it doesn't go to waste, can be cheaper than a bag of chips. A bag of oranges, for instance, can be less than a bag of chips; plus, oranges are low in sodium, have no fat or cholesterol, and are rich in vitamins, which chips are certainly not. Bananas make terrific snacks and are easier to eat than oranges. Bananas will fill you up. Jello is great stuff! You can use up aging bananas in a pan of jello. You can bring a smile to virtually any child's face with a dish of the stuff. And you can make it in child-sized containers for self-serve snacks or lunches or whatever.

You can do that with yogurt, too. Vanilla yogurt covers a multitude of sins, like aging bananas, aging strawberries, that can of pinapple that's been lurking in the corner of the pantry for a year. A bag of frozen fruit is usually cheap, it thaws really quickly, and kids will enjoy stirring a couple of tablespoons of it into a cup of vanilla yogurt. They will also probably enjoy the conspiratorial feel of making their own secret yogurt concoction. Kids love to learn about how things are made, and they get a lot of self-esteem from making stuff.

Use peanut butter to substitute for the high-fat, high-salt, high-cost lunch meats that we all crave once in a while. Peanut butter is rich in vitamin E, which is good for the nervous system and other body parts. It's high in protein and has no cholesterol. It can go on bread, crackers, fruit, celery, or just a spoon. You can use it on noodles if you make a simple Thai-style peanut sauce. And it doesn't go bad as quickly as cold cuts always do. No waste, no loss.

Teach yourself and your children to drink more water and less soda, sugary juices, and other junk. Water is what your body needs, anyway. It actually helps you lose weight (who doesn'tneed to do that?) and gives you energy, because it helps the kidneys to dotheir work more effectively, and because water is actually a component of the Krebs cycle (forgive my high school chemistry, it's a bit rusty). If you don't have sufficient water inyour system, you will have trouble utilizing the food you eat. It has no calories, no cholesterol, no sugar. If it's filtered, it has no nasty stuff in it either.

If you absolutely HAVE to have flavored drinks, a bottle of lemon juice will make several quarts of lemonade, along with a cup of sugar per quart. OK, that sounds like a lot, but consider how much sugar Coke or Pepsi have per ounce. Plus the lemon juice is good for cooking as well. One of those staples you need to have around anyway. Brewing up a big 2-quart pitcher of iced tea is cheaper and better than purchasing that watered-down crap in the can, trust me. You set it all up and then leave it alone to brew. Easier than opening up a can of soup. If you can boil water, you can make tea. The lemon is good in tea, too. Very refreshing. Full of antioxidants, with or without the lemon. My tea of choice is green tea with a few slices of fresh ginger brewed right into the pot.

OK, that's my 2 cents' worth. I can't remember how much we spend on food every week -- my new roommate isn't anywhere near as frugal as I am -- but hubby and I used to make do quite nicely on about $50 - $70 every other week. And that was with me sending him to work with some kind of lunch almost all the time.

If anyone here would like a copy of my book -- it's only out as an eBook right now -- because they really need to learn how to economize, I would be happy to e-mail it to you. All I would ask in return is to go to the publisher's website and give me a little feedback on what you liked or found useful about the book. Just e-mail me privately and I'll send you the attachment.

Bright Blessings,
Lil

#52859 - 11/19/03 05:27 PM Re: grocery bill
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lil, a perfect post to pitch your book, but you shouldn't be giving it away. Come on girl, you know better than that. Why...you could use the money you make to buy some groceries. [Big Grin]

Why don't you tell people again about your book. Some of the women in this forum may not know.

One thing that Lil mentioned that gave me a wake-up call was *no waste, no loss*. [Eek!]

Perfectly worded!

There have been times my garbage disposal is better fed than some people. That's pitiful. [Eek!]

This post is causing me to rethink what I'm spending on groceries and what I'm wasting. [Mad]

Thanks for the wake up call ladies. I needed it.

#52860 - 11/19/03 09:11 PM Re: grocery bill
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Well, shucks, OK, I'll hawk the book again if you insist <giggle>.

Ladies, please go take a look at the sweet little thing at this url:

http://www.catalog.synergebooks.com/customer/product.php?productid=17471cat=&page=1

It's a bargain as-is... $5.00 for the download, which includes a few color pics done by hubby and moi. If you would prefer to order the CDRom of it, it's $3.50 more, I think, but that's just the cost of the pretty refractive disk-thingie. Along with the recipes and money-saving/sanity saving techniques, you also get some pep-talking, encouragement, witty anecdotes, and some poignant stories about my life as a single parent. I have a couple of cool stories behind the recipes. I'm very down-to-earth, and I guarantee you, no Betty Crocker-isms or Martha Stewart-stuff. Andthe cover art is just adorable! Give yourself a present! [Big Grin] [Cool] [Wink]

But I have to say... if you're really struggling... and feeling lost in the feeding-your-family department... and you absolutely can't afford the book... e-mail me privately. You can pay me back in prayer (and sweet comments on the website! [Cool] )
Hugs,
Lil

#52861 - 11/19/03 09:24 PM Re: grocery bill
Dotsie Offline
Founder

P.S.: Dotsie, I know what you mean about making rich sacrificial offerings to the garbage disposal. That sort of thing breaks my heart. That's why I forced myself to learn what I learned. Heh heh, kicking and screaming the WHOLE way! But it worked.
Love,
Lil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved