The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 201 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#52728 - 06/26/03 04:51 PM Hulk and Harry!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
While reading the paper and all the money people are spending on books and movies, it's hard to believe we are in tough financial times in the US. [Eek!]

Hulk took in 62.6 million in the first weekend.

Retailers were concerned that the 8.5 million Harry books(first printing for the US alone), wasn't enough to satisfy all the hungry Harry fans waiting to purchase the latest and greatest Harry story.

I continue to be amazed at the money we Americans spend on entertainment. I am one of those Americans who does this too(though not a Harry or Hulk fan)... so what can I say?

Anyone else amazed at those numbers? [Eek!]

[ June 26, 2003, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#52729 - 06/27/03 05:11 AM Re: Hulk and Harry!
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
NOt realy. There are studies that say in hrad economic times, people escape through more moderate or cheaper forms of entertainment (like movies or books). THey say movies that do well in recesions are the ones that tend to be more fantasy than true story, which woudl explain the millions movies like Hulk, the matrix, etc.. have made.

I went to an opening of the Musesum of Comic and Cartoon Art in New York the other weekend and went to a lecture where they discussed the resurgence of interest in comic books and comic book heroes (Spider Man movie, Hulk movie,Dare Devil, The Matrix wad written by former comic book writers? Art Speigleman (not sure of spelling but he is the one who won the Pulitzer for his graphic novel "Mouse") talked about people's need for escape and heroes in times of incertainty and that is why people tend to turn to media outlets for it.

#52730 - 06/27/03 05:24 PM Re: Hulk and Harry!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Figured there must be a reason for it and that sounds like a good one. Makes sense to me. [Big Grin]

#52731 - 07/05/03 02:01 AM Re: Hulk and Harry!
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
can you imagine how many people we could feed, clothe, and house with what they take in on one weekend at the movies ??????

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved