The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 120 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#191186 - 10/06/09 07:04 AM BLogger Payola
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I do not know whether it has made news over there but, it has over here this morning. I'd share it anyway in case it was missed by those who maintain blogs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8291825.stm

#191226 - 10/06/09 07:38 PM Re: BLogger Payola [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I don't know if I side with the FTC or with people who say this is ridiculous. I do believe that if you are blogging about a product and don't endorse it, your blog would and should, reflect so.

There is nothing in the new rules about how disclosures must be made and that's confusing to me. It just says

<i>"the revised guides specify that while decisions will be reached on a case-by-case basis, the post of a blogger who receives cash or in-kind payment to review a product is considered an endorsement.

"Thus, bloggers who make an endorsement must disclose the material connections they share with the seller of the product or service." </i>

Are they saying if someone sends you a book to review and you don't return the book, that's considered a gift and has cash value...so you have to disclose this connection?

Why do I smell big brother?

#191453 - 10/09/09 09:13 PM Re: BLogger Payola [Re: jawjaw]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
I like anything which will protect the consumer. I'm still waiting for the SEC to be investigated for knowing about Bernie Madoff for years and doing nothing about it. There are a slew of Madoff-types out there who are still free and taking money from the naive.

Is there anyone out there wondering why our government agencies are turning a blind eye to so much corruption? Could any unscrupulous bloggers be just the tip of the iceberg? Could those few bloggers be at the very LOW end of the payola food chain?????????

Edited by Josie (10/10/09 04:14 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#191461 - 10/10/09 01:48 AM Re: BLogger Payola [Re: Josie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I don't know about that but I for one call a spade a spade on my blog and tell it like it is or how I see it. Any doubts, read it and see... I wish someone would pay me for MY opinion! Ha!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#191471 - 10/10/09 09:13 AM Re: BLogger Payola [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Quote:
Thus, bloggers who make an endorsement must disclose the material connections they share with the seller of the product or service."

Are they saying if someone sends you a book to review and you don't return the book, that's considered a gift and has cash value...so you have to disclose this connection?

No, JJ. From what I understand, disclosure of material connections under the FTC guideline would be along a declaration of a conflict of interest i.e. a blogger is paid to endorse a product thereby producing a "good" review.

Clause F Section 255.5 http://www.ftc.gov/os/2008/11/P034520endorsementguides.pdf

I reckon, keeping a book that has been sent to you for review would not fall within the ambit of the FTC guideline on material connection, if and where the practice is treated as norm in the publication business or as agreed upon by the book reviewer and author/publishing company.

#191479 - 10/10/09 04:18 PM Re: BLogger Payola [Re: chatty lady]
Josie Offline

Originally Posted By: chatty lady
I don't know about that but I for one call a spade a spade on my blog and tell it like it is or how I see it. Any doubts, read it and see... I wish someone would pay me for MY opinion! Ha!!!

Hi Chatty: I clarifid my opinion above so you would not think I meant ALL bloggers.....And yes, I'd LOVE to get paid for my wealth of opinions as well. I might just make enough money to afford McDonalds! hahaha

#191481 - 10/10/09 04:21 PM Re: BLogger Payola [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

PS Chatty: Silly me. I forgot you had a blog until this morning. GREAT STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved