The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#152779 - 07/06/08 11:02 PM If you think patriotism is for the old, read this.
Lavinia Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
There are so many places I could post this. I went 'round and 'round trying to decide. I don't see a place to post about a blog post. Does that make any sense at all? Oh well. Anyway- I posted on my blog, an amazing set of circumstances that occured on the 4th of July and I would LOVE to know what baby-boomers like me think of the story.

It involves my father, who is a WWII veteran, and four little boys. If you think you need to wait until your kids are older to teach them about patriotism, think again. You will be amazed (and might even shed a tear or two, like I did) at what this young father did.

Anyway-you can find it here. I'd love to know what my fellow baby-boomers think! Thanks. ~Karen

My blog is called, "Write Now." You can find it here; http://karenlalaniz.blogspot.com

#152780 - 07/07/08 01:31 PM Re: If you think patriotism is for the old, read this. [Re: Lavinia]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
That's a wonderful story, thanks for sharing. I love it when people take the time to help their kids learn important things like that - fantastic!

Kathy

#152781 - 07/07/08 06:33 PM Re: If you think patriotism is for the old, read this. [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for sharing. That's sweet. I hope none of his fourr sons ever have to serve.

I need to get up the guts to talk to people in uniform whwn I see them. It's usually at the airport andI feel like I'd be intruding. Any suggestions on how to approach.

#152782 - 07/07/08 09:51 PM Re: If you think patriotism is for the old, read this.
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Lavinia, there are no wrong places to post something like this. What a lovely story, thanks for sharing it. You have an impressive blog, no nonsence just good reading...

#152783 - 07/08/08 10:19 PM Re: If you think patriotism is for the old, read this. [Re: chatty lady]
Lavinia Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Thank you Chatty-That's a real compliment. I've had advice from other bloggers and my blog has, I hope, come a long way. One thing I try to do is not require the reader to click down a page more than three times to read one post. That forces me to say only what is important. I recently increased the font size to accomodate any visually impaired folks who might drop by.

Dancing- Me too.

Dotsie- It's funny you should ask that particular question. It's one I think I should address on my blog at some point. It took my father more than 50 years to start wearing a cap that identifies him as being a vet. Many Vietnam vets have been doing that for a long time. But from what I've read, it's so that they can identify each other.

My nephew is getting ready to go back for a second tour in Iraq. I was telling him the story on my blog and he brought new light to it. He said that when he got back from Iraq, he was disturbed by people approaching him all the time, even if it was to thank him. Family and close friends were one thing, but strangers were something else. You see, in Iraq, stranger was synonymous with enemy, no matter what the stranger looked like, what age, or sex they were etc. Our troops are trained to not get too close.

Also, he recounted a story of a soldier who returned from Iraq who was asked at a gas station, as he filled up his tank, "Were you in Iraq?" When he said yes, he was brutally beaten and died of his injuries. It's unfathomable. So my advice would be to pray, if you're a praying person. Seek wisdom. Then find a way to say thank you. Most WWII vets, in my experience are happy to talk to you and pleased when they are thanked (going home to tell their families about it). Given what my nephew said, I would probably use the words, "Thank you..." first thing, instead of asking if they were in Iraq. We don't want to do or say anything that might feel threatening. That training to keep strangers away kept them alive and it's not easily unlearned.

Not long ago, a man anonymously paid for mine and my father's breakfast. You could do the same. Buy a meal, groceries or whatever. You could also write a note and hand it to them, or to the waitress to pass on or whatever. The point is to recognize that freedom isn't free.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I so wanted to share the story with whomever I could. ~Karen

My blog is called, "Write Now." You can find it here; http://karenlalaniz.blogspot.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved