The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 112 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#148699 - 05/15/08 05:34 PM Violent youth
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Don't read if you aren't into being depressed, but t hsi is so crazy that I have to see what others think.

A few months ago, a 15 year-old boy killed his mom, dad, and 2 brothers - his whole family. Just shot and killed them while they slept in their family home. Then he left and went back to his friend's home to spend the night, hung out all day, went to the home and while his friend waited for him in the car, he witnessed the mess, and ran and told his friend that someone had killed his dad. After the police were called they found the whole family dead in their beds. SICK! He was almost an Eagle Scout, teachers and kids liked him.

Yesterday, a 16 year-old boy killed his mom with a baseball bat after arguing about bad grades. He hid her in their garage. The dad came home from work and he tried to kill him too, but Dad got away and called the police. That's when they found his wife in the garage. Here's a link:

http://wjz.com/local/lewin.powell.2.724860.html

I am sickened and puzzled by this. Can anyone shed light on why our kids are becoming so damn violent.

#148700 - 05/15/08 06:49 PM Re: Violent youth
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Senseless killing came close to home last Saturday, Dotsie. A younger brother of my children's friends had been murdered. It was an unprovoked attack and the killer is just 19.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7394481.stm

Margaret and Barry's interview held at the grounds of the school. Earlier this year, the school lost two students to a road accident. They belonged to Jimmy's class. The thing that stands out in my children's former school community is that despite their loss, anger for the murderer is remote. There is deep, deep sadness but at the same time, there is compassion for the parents of the boy who killed Jimmy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7396319.stm

Edited by Lola (05/15/08 07:08 PM)

#148701 - 05/15/08 07:36 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: Lola]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
What is society doing to our kiddos? That's who I blame it on and I think it started in the generation before ours.

On our local news last night, they did a piece on the wide-spread depression for school aged children. It's everywhere.

Here's something of interest, that's not quite the same, but kind of got my dander up:

http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=64055

#148702 - 05/15/08 08:11 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: gims]
Mountain Ash Offline

Lola
the young man was a fine young man I believe and refused to enter into a fight.What a loss.
Mountian ash

#148703 - 05/15/08 08:13 PM Re: Violent youth [Re: gims]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
It started when they began medicating/drugging our youngest school children who ALL were supposedly suffering from Attention Deficit Disorder... Plus the fact that nearly 96% of both parents in the home have to work to make ends meet anbd if you don't think 'latch key kids' suffer, you had better think again... Plus the violence on TV which gets worse every year and in the games they play...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#148704 - 05/16/08 01:15 AM Re: Violent youth [Re: chatty lady]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
I think TV plays a major role in this to . My daughter was never allowed to watch the news on TV . I keep that from her or the paper . I think one idea leads to another . The news media does not help . I to wonder what is happening now has the youth of the world today gone bad . ? I wonder!

I read that to Dotsie this morning and not far down the road from me where we live.

Renee

#148705 - 05/16/08 06:25 AM Re: Violent youth [Re: Sadie]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Spoil the child and save the rod...that's how that saying goes, right?

Well, I just read an article that spoiling children is a form of abuse. These spoiled kids can't handle society, and think it's all about them. It's more often than I care to say that I'll have a house showing with a family, where their kids run amuck. They don't even respect a stranger's home. After politely asking the parents to keep their children under control, and that they shouldn’t touch everything, the parents just ignored me and their children. I was so pissed, and apologized to the owners for these kids behaviour. These parents will see, when their kids are teenagers what they have raised. Oh boy...they deserve it!

#148706 - 05/16/08 06:54 AM Re: Violent youth [Re: Edelweiss]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
... spare the rod, spoil the child. Use to think that was biblical, but it's not. It has been associated with Proverbs 13-24(KJV), though, "He that spareth his rod hateth his son." Just another scare tactic, IMO.
Parents (on the grand scale) have just become lax in "effective parenting." My opinion, also... each generation (in general) has become more of the "me, me, me"... it's strange we don't have more bad things happening.

#148707 - 05/16/08 08:09 AM Re: Violent youth [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Renee, yes, very close to you. And only 2-3 miles from me.

I think our kids are spoiled and unattended. Some parents don't have time and teachers can't control because they might be sued so they kids are allowed to do as they please. There are rarely consequences so they continue to lash out.

I also believe the video games, TV shows and movies are horrendous; not all, but some.

Maybe we could vow to make a difference in the lives of our youth. Many of you already do, but I feel like the adults need to take charge.

#148708 - 05/17/08 09:13 PM Re: Violent youth
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well Dotsie, they say its never too late to make a difference, so maybe its not! Lordy I hope the saying is right or can you just imagine the future of this country???

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved