The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 101 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#112903 - 03/27/07 08:20 PM 984 or 1984
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:

Opponents of a new executive branch lobbying reform bill working its way through the U.S. House of Representatives warn that it will impede an ordinary citizen's absolute right to communicate with government officials.
When Rep. Henry A. Waxman, chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform of the House, introduced H.R. 984, the Executive Branch Reform Act, last month, he promised it represented "good government" reform.

Critics, however, think it should be renumbered "H.R. 1984" because of the looming specter of an Orwellian "Big Brother."

Full article @:Waxman-Newsmax

Here's Waxman on the House floor

#112904 - 03/27/07 08:55 PM Re: 984 or 1984 [Re: gims]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Oh, how those people waste their time and our money!

Big Brother? Bunch a self-serving %#*&#, if you ask me.

Oh, you didn't ask? No, I guess they did not. They represent themselves, not us.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#112905 - 03/31/07 05:40 AM Re: 984 or 1984 [Re: Anno]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
And why do people keep voting for the same old idiots??????

In California, we have a "three strikes, you're out" law for criminals. Can we pleeeeez have one for politicians as well? -- you know, sign your name for 3 stupid laws, or vote to raise our taxes 3 times. PLEEEEEZ.

I know the jails are really crowded, but maybe we should let the criminals out and put the politicians in.

Would anyone notice the difference??

Poet and essayist

#112906 - 03/31/07 04:11 PM Re: 984 or 1984 [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

What scared me about this bill is that it will limit our ability to communitcate with our representatives. If I read it correctly, Waxman has the bill on the House floor (already passed the Senate, I think). The bill disallows (makes it illegal) for people to incite groups to mail, email, picket, etc. their congresspersons with concerns. So, obviously when we get emails, asking us to write or contact are congressperson about things such as immigration, we are making a difference... we're creating a reason for them to bring on 1984.
More biblical prophecy coming to pass?

#112907 - 03/31/07 04:33 PM Re: 984 or 1984 [Re: gims]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I just read this bill and nowhere does it say we can't contact our representatives. It does say: "In General- Not later than 30 days after the end of a calendar quarter, each covered executive branch official shall make a record of, and file with the Office of Government Ethics a report on, any significant contacts during the quarter between the covered executive branch official and any private party relating to an official government action. If no such contacts occurred, each such official shall make a record of, and file with the Office a report on, this fact, at the same time." I don't see how that means we can't email or call, or visit our Congresspersons.

It also has a section for 'cooling off' periods, where incoming government officials can't have worked or go to work for organizations after they leave government service if those organizations meet certain qualifications. I need to read that section again.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#112909 - 03/31/07 08:26 PM Re: 984 or 1984 [Re: yonuh]
gims Offline

His intentions seem to be having records kept of all contacts with government officials. He seems to want to be able to get hold of all these records where "we, (the collective I)" as sway groups might influence the actions/decisions/votes of the representatives. The bill might be geared toward the religious right or the very liberal left, each of which has ways to get people to respond in mass. Regardless, being fired up by a movement enough to contact my representative (which I might not ordinarily do) should not mean my contact should be recorded somewhere (possibly to kept in a data base to tag me as some goose-lover*). If the bill passes, next thing they'll require of us is to include our SS# when we contact a representative.

*Lame Example: Say, Senator X wants to stop geese from flying. A goose lover contacts every bird lover he knows, as well as all the organizations pertaining to birds. They appear on TV, radio, web pages and go to the local newspaper, asking everyone [us, the "private parties" who together potentially become the "significant contacts"] to write/email/call their representatives to contest Senator X's plans to stop geese from flying. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the bill passes, won't it be on record when someone (and who each someone is) contacts their representative?

Quote:

... each covered executive branch official shall make a record of, and file with the Office of Government Ethics a report on, any significant contacts during the quarter between the covered executive branch official and any private party relating to an official government action.

Under DEFINITIONS:
Quote:

`(2) SIGNIFICANT CONTACT- `(A) ....the term `significant contact' means oral or written communication (including electronic communication)[E-mail] that is made by a private party [You and I] to a covered executive branch official in which such private party seeks to influence official action [Why else would you or I be contacting them?] by any officer or employee of the executive branch of the United States.

`(3) PRIVATE PARTY- The term `private party' means any person or entity, but does not include a Federal, State, or local government official or a person representing such an official.'.

The bill may not say "you will not be allowed to contact" but it sets up the grounds for not wanting to and/or being reluctant to. And, if this goes through, it will open the door to "you can not."

It's already evident that only a minor percentage of the population is involved in, or even care about, politics and government actions... that is until something adversely effects them... ~OR~ A movement GETS them INVOLVED...

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved