The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 185 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#52925 - 12/27/03 07:51 PM New Year's Eve?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What's everyone doing New YEar's Eve?

Any traditions?

Also, want to talk about childhood memories?

I recall being at a huge family party (my mother's side, and she had 8 sisters and brothers) with lots of delicious food, the kid's music blaring in the basement, and pretty much shoulder to shoulder people.

I think it's the same year I did "the jerk" in front of all my aunts and uncles...same house anyway.

Slightly before midnight we heard fireworks out front and everyone ran to the stairs, banging into one another and pushing to get up and out. My uncle was setting off fireworks and we carried on like fools bringing in the new year.

Neighbors from the surrounding houses came to the yard because he was the only one with the fireworks and they were so taken in by them.

Fun memories. [Big Grin]

Anyone else want to share?

#52926 - 12/27/03 09:51 PM Re: New Year's Eve?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
My fondest New Years Eve memories are when we lived in Florida. We just roamed the streets and since everyones' home was close to the sidewalk and the town so small, we would stop here and there and have a drink or something to eat and keep on going.

At midnight we would all gather at the harbor for a fireworks display. The weather was so inviting, no one wanted to be indoors and the ambience was always so welcoming. People really did not make plans, they just went outside and the party was there!

I was also married on New Years Eve, in Florida. It was the happiest day of my life.

We also became an adoptive family on New Years Eve 1998. So the entire family celebrates an anniversary.

My son is 5 and I am trying to come up with an appropriate and fun way for all of us to celebrate our becoming a family even if it did happen over a 15 year period. Any ideas? [Razz]

#52927 - 12/28/03 07:11 PM Re: New Year's Eve?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lynn, hmmm...what to do for New Year's eve?

Is there a fun kids movie you could take your little guy to? Maybe ride around and look at Christmas lights, go to the movie with him and give him a little dinner.

Then after he's snuggled in, you and your hubby could celebrate with your own candlelit dinner?

Just a thought. [Big Grin]

#52928 - 12/30/03 08:20 AM Re: New Year's Eve?
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
Speaking of NY Eve! I worry about all those who will drink to excess. I especially worry about the teens who will be doing this. Not only is it illegal but it is so bad for their health. Anyone have a suggestion on how to deal with a teen who does drink too much? I would appreciate any suggestions, as well as a few prayers for my son, who I hope will avoid this annual party season. I am happy to say his behavior in this arena has improved, but I still worry about his return to college where he is around "friends" who promote such behavior. Guess I will seek some counsiling so I don't suffer for his poor behavior. Wish me luck. Back to daily exercise, mediation, and my books where I can get lost in someone's else life story. Dream on.....

#52929 - 12/30/03 06:19 PM Re: New Year's Eve?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

swimbo, personally I don't think New Year's Eve is all it's talked up to be. Unfortunately, our kids are still learning those lessons. [Roll Eyes]

Pray, worry...and I know those two shouldn't go hand in hand, but honestly they do for me.

I say we tell them there will be consequences as long as they live at home, and talk until we're blue in the face. [Big Grin]

Every now and then they hear us and maybe our words will resonate at an opportune time. [Wink]

Your son is on my teen prayer list. Got him covered!

I also think we need to keep ourselves occupied with happy thoughts so we don't sit and worry while they are out galavanting. (Note to self)

Please know your boat isn't empty!

#52930 - 12/31/03 04:20 PM Re: New Year's Eve?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lynn, looks like it's going to be a beautiful night. Your weather is pretty much the same as mine and today it's going to be sunny and 58. [Big Grin]

Maybe you can truck around outside a little with your family.

What did you decide to do to celebrate your families big day/night?

#52931 - 12/31/03 06:28 PM Re: New Year's Eve?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Lynn, sounds like you have a lot to celebrate on New Year's Day. And a beautiful sunny day to bring it in too. We'll all be praying for a year full of joy and blessings for you and your family.

#52932 - 01/01/04 03:09 AM Re: New Year's Eve?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
One memory I have of NY eve is my X hubby and I spending it at the very top of Gatlinburg Tenn up in the mountains...we had a chalet...overlooking the entire village below...around sundown it snowed and snowned and before midnight, the entire moutainside and village was a winterwonderland. We ventured out on the deck, watched below as the town shot fireworks and the beauty was right before our eyes going in every direction into the mountainside. Yes sir ree...what a beautiful site it was...the snow...the wine...the moonlight...one little shove and I would be a rich mamma right now but nooooo....I had to get caught up in the moment...geezz

Moral to this story...seize the moment women...

#52933 - 01/01/04 03:12 AM Re: New Year's Eve?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Hey, thanks for thinkingof us. It has been a tough week. John was down a couple days before Christmas until about today.

Yesterday I started with a stomach bug that made me nauseas but not vomit (thanks God). Doc says its going around and lasts for 2 - 4 days! He gave me anti-nausea medicine which allowed me to eat today.

Nathan is clogged with a cold.

So our activities are mild at best but we are all looking forward to the New Year and we hope to get out tomorrow as a family and take a good walk.

We have been focusing on our blessings today. The day we became a family.

Our one way to celebrate this day started in Key West-we eat lobster. Well this year it was out of the question. My sister sent us a family anniversary card with a gift card from the grocery store for $75! It was very thoughtful and not typical. I went right to the store and bought those lobsters. God does provide.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved